emacs 23.1 font problem

Gerhard

Jan 11, 2010, 5:21:53 AM1/11/10

Since some time ago, I am having problems with emacs loading
.tex files. When I try to open such a file, I receive the
following message, and font-lock is turned off:

File mode specification error: (error "Invalid face height"
0.0)
File local-variables error: (error "Invalid face height" 0.0)

I can start auctex by M-x latex-mode, and then, font-locking
is enabled. Apart from flyspell (where I have to change the
dictionary by hand), everything seems to work normally
afterwards, so it is only it little nuisance.

When I start emacs with "emacs -q", and try to open a .tex
file, I get the following:

File mode specification error: (error "Invalid face height"
tex-suscript-height)

As before, I can start the (generic latex-mode) by M-x latex-
mode.

I have noted that in auctex as well, subscripts are displayed
now in normal font, which was at some time different.

I am using a self-compiled emacs under Mandriva linux:

GNU Emacs 23.1.90.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
2.18.3) of 2010-01-08 on localhost

The emacs provided by Mandriva (also a 23.1) showed the same
problem. I have seen that similar bugs have been reported,
but I have not seen any response to it.

Does someone of you have any idea what is going on here?

Thanks in advance,

Gerhard

David Kastrup

Jan 11, 2010, 5:33:59 AM1/11/10
Gerhard <feld...@gmx.net> writes:

> .tex files. When I try to open such a file, I receive the
> following message, and font-lock is turned off:
>
> File mode specification error: (error "Invalid face height"
> 0.0)
> File local-variables error: (error "Invalid face height" 0.0)

locale problems, likely. Or GTK-KDE integration.

M-x report-emacs-bug RET

would give some more information.

--
David Kastrup

Gerhard

Jan 11, 2010, 5:53:06 AM1/11/10
David Kastrup wrote:

Dear David,

here it comes:

In GNU Emacs 23.1.90.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
of 2010-01-08 on localhost
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10605000
Important settings:
value of $LC_ALL: nil
value of $LC_COLLATE: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LC_MESSAGES: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_FR.UTF-8
value of $LC_NUMERIC: fr_FR.UTF-8
value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: LaTeX

Minor modes in effect:
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
global-auto-composition-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...
File mode specification error: (error "Invalid face height" tex-suscript-
height)
set-face-attribute: Invalid face height: tex-suscript-height

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug tex-mode regexp-opt compile shell
comint ring latexenc help-mode easymenu view tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom
widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

David Kastrup

Jan 11, 2010, 9:02:22 AM1/11/10
Gerhard <feld...@gmx.net> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Gerhard <feld...@gmx.net> writes:
>>
>>> .tex files. When I try to open such a file, I receive the
>>> following message, and font-lock is turned off:
>>>
>>> File mode specification error: (error "Invalid face height"
>>> 0.0)
>>> File local-variables error: (error "Invalid face height" 0.0)
>>
>> locale problems, likely. Or GTK-KDE integration.
>>
>> M-x report-emacs-bug RET
>>
>> would give some more information.
>

> In GNU Emacs 23.1.90.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
> of 2010-01-08 on localhost
> Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10605000
> Important settings:
> value of $LC_ALL: nil
> value of $LC_COLLATE: de_DE.UTF-8
> value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
> value of $LC_MESSAGES: de_DE.UTF-8
> value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_FR.UTF-8
> value of $LC_NUMERIC: fr_FR.UTF-8
> value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
> value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
> value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
> locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
> default enable-multibyte-characters: t

What happens when you start Emacs with

LC_NUMERIC=C emacs

?

--
David Kastrup

Gerhard

Jan 11, 2010, 9:41:44 AM1/11/10
David Kastrup wrote:

Everything seems to work fine now, great!

Am I right in supposing that this resets locales only for emacs, and that
there should be no undesired side-effects elsewhere?

David Kastrup

Jan 11, 2010, 10:16:46 AM1/11/10
Gerhard <feld...@gmx.net> writes:

>>> In GNU Emacs 23.1.90.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
>>> of 2010-01-08 on localhost
>>> Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version
>>> 11.0.10605000 Important settings:
>>> value of $LC_ALL: nil
>>> value of $LC_COLLATE: de_DE.UTF-8
>>> value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
>>> value of $LC_MESSAGES: de_DE.UTF-8
>>> value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_FR.UTF-8
>>> value of $LC_NUMERIC: fr_FR.UTF-8
>>> value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
>>> value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
>>> value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
>>> locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
>>> default enable-multibyte-characters: t
>>
>> What happens when you start Emacs with
>>
>> LC_NUMERIC=C emacs
>>
>> ?
> Everything seems to work fine now, great!
>
> Am I right in supposing that this resets locales only for emacs, and
> that there should be no undesired side-effects elsewhere?

It will affect every program started from within Emacs as well. I am
not clear what code is responsible for this: the problem is likely
because either scanf or printf or its equivalents use "," instead of "."
in numbers.

Whether this happens inside of Emacs proper or in GTK, I don't know. In
general, you rarely want LC_NUMERIC to be different from "C" for
_anything_. Programming languages and libraries and utilities break
because programmers hardly ever expect that the equivalent of
printf("%4.2f",3.0) would result in "3,00" in foreign locales.

I know that some versions of Ghostscript ceased being able to parse
numbers in PostScript programs in such locales.

So while the above invocation is just for Emacs and subprocesses, your
setting of LC_NUMERIC is likely going to cause trouble occasionally also
elsewhere. And why you would want French monetary expressions in a
German locale also escapes me.

--
David Kastrup

Gerhard

Jan 11, 2010, 11:00:48 AM1/11/10
David Kastrup wrote:

Thank you for these detailed explanations. I will set my LC_NUMERIC to C.

> And why you would want French monetary expressions in a
> German locale also escapes me.

This is what my distro gave me, since I told it when installing that I lived
in France, but still wanted to have a German language environment. These
days, it doesn't seem to matter all that much whether your monetary
expressions are French or German, anyways ...

Eli Zaretskii

Jan 11, 2010, 2:18:45 PM1/11/10
to help-gn...@gnu.org
> From: David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org>
> Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 16:16:46 +0100

> >> What happens when you start Emacs with
> >>
> >> LC_NUMERIC=C emacs
> >>
> >> ?
> > Everything seems to work fine now, great!

Maybe I'm missing something, but Emacs does that internally at
startup. So I don't understand how come this has any effect at all.

Maindoor

Jan 11, 2010, 5:50:36 AM1/11/10
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hi,
I am quite new to emacs and am wondering if it is possible to
browse the cscope-marker-ring instead of only cscope-pop-mark. That way
we can go back and forth the cscope-marker-ring.

Please let me know,
Maindoor.