windows setup for emacsclient

rustom

Mar 12, 2008, 12:36:23 PM3/12/08
What do I have to do to open a file with emacsclient in windows?

Yeah I know one must first start emacs with server-start -- I am
wondering about the more windows-y part. I am, say, in windows
explorer and want to right-click file and choose open in emacsclient.
I can even do it now but I have to literally go hunting after it:
Shift-rt-click -> Open with ->Browse -> Program Files... -> emacs ->
bin -> emacsclientw -> Ok ... -> Ok
...... every time the same bally-hoo.

Related to this: How to give the -n option? Because otherwise when I
kill that buffer emacs pops a window at me saying the client is still
waiting for the server or some such thing.

B. T. Raven

Mar 16, 2008, 1:27:18 AM3/16/08

Go to a msdos prompt and type something like:

ftype emacs=c:\emacs\bin\emacsclientw.exe -n "%1"

but with your appropriate path (you can call the part before = whatever
you want)

and then (for example):

assoc .txt=emacs

Then with regedit make a key

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\emacsclientw.exe\shell\Open\Command

with value:

c:\emacs\bin\emacsclientw.exe -n "%1"

with -a switch you can add an alternate editor. I have seen this set to
/path/runemacs.exe See:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsClient

under emacsclientw for vers. 22

Also under shell (i.e)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\emacsclientw.exe\shell

I have two names:

FriendlyCache
FrienllyCacheCTime

of types REG_SZ and REG_BINARY respectively and values

GNU Emacs for Windows NT/95/98/2000/ME/XP
and
00 46 bf f2 04 c1 c7 01

I have no idea what they are or where they came from.

You can associate other filetypes with Emacs via assoc in a dos window
or else use Tools > Folder Options > File Types in Windows Explorer.

Back up the registry before you mess with it. It is intrinsically
dangerous to edit it manually. It may be possible to accomplish the
above without regedit but I don't know how to do it.

Ed

rustom

Mar 17, 2008, 3:55:46 AM3/17/08

Thanks for the detailed reply. But still some problems:
What Ive done is

ftype emacs=c:\emacs22.1\bin\emacsclientw -n -a c:/emacs22.1\bin
\emacs "%1"

assoc .txt=emacs

Now when emacs (the server) is already running it works fine.
But if not:
1. A box comes up saying emacsclient ERROR: connect no error
Ive to click ok to that
2. Next a command window opens momentarily
3. Finally emacs opens with the file

And the command window remains open

Chris McMahan

Mar 17, 2008, 10:14:45 AM3/17/08
rustom <rusto...@gmail.com> writes:

I don't know how to eliminate the dialog that pops up, and I'd also like to know!

To get rid of the command window, try this:

ftype emacs=c:\emacs22.1\bin\emacsclientw -n -a c:\emacs22.1\bin\runemacs "%1"

Runemacs is a Windows wrapper for emacs that does away with the command window.

- Chris

--
(. .)