[apple-command as META-key in the terminal-emacs]

Fredrik Lundgren

Jan 25, 2008, 4:58:45 AM1/25/08
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hello,

I'm using emacs22-carbon (GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-apple-darwin9, Carbon
Version 1.6.0) in Mac OS 10.5.1.
I have no key-bindings in my .emacs-file and automatically apple-
command works as META-key in the GUI-emacs ('emacs' in the terminal).
I'm quite happy with the key-bindings I find there. However in the
terminal-emacs ('emacs -nw' in the terminal) i haven't got this key-
binding in spite of the same .emacs-file.
How can I get Apple-command as META-key in the terminal-emacs ('emacs -
nw' in the terminal) and otherwise standard key-bindings?

Fredrik

Peter Dyballa

Jan 25, 2008, 3:40:15 PM1/25/08
to Fredrik Lundgren, help-gn...@gnu.org

Am 25.01.2008 um 10:58 schrieb Fredrik Lundgren:

> How can I get Apple-command as META-key in the terminal-emacs

> ('emacs -nw' in the terminal) and otherwise standard key-bindings?

Probably by re-writing Terminal.app. Or using something else as host
application – have you tried to launch Carbon Emacs inside Carbon
Emacs' *terminal* emulation buffer? (You could also try to change key
bindings in System Preferences. There are also applications to change
Mac OS X key bindings.)

The Meta key does not exist "inside" Terminal's pane – so it's not
available for any Emacs variant. The Meta key belongs to the system.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

Pete

If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then
the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.
– Weinberg's Second Law

Xah Lee

Jan 25, 2008, 5:26:21 PM1/25/08
Fredrik Lundgren <fredrik.bg.lundg...@gmail.com> wrote:
«How can I get Apple-command as META-key in the terminal-emacs ('emacs
- nw' in the terminal) and otherwise standard key-bindings?»

I've sought a solution for this, but i think as Peter Dyballa said,
you can't.

Perhaps the closest solution, is to use another term app, or use the
one in X11.

of course, you can run term in carbon emacs as peter suggested. Start
it in a terminal like this:
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs &

then do “M-x term”.

Xah
x...@xahlee.org
http://xahlee.org/