Looking for Dired mode to comment directory listing

Alan

Jul 17, 2007, 1:09:00 AM7/17/07
At one time, 4dos, an alternate M$DOG shell, enabled a file listing
command to include a comment. In the days of 8+3 filenames, this was
simple feature improved my work output considerably. Later on, GNU/
Linux with extremely long filenames worked ok, and I was able to
forget about 4dos.

It occurs to me, however, that it might be possible to do a similar
thing with dired, transparently. Is it currently possible? I saw an
ipa.el, In Pace Annotations, on the emacs.sources group/list (http://
www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/ipa.el), enabling commentary
annotations to be saved in separate files, and viewed transparently.
To use this feature for directory listings, however, it would be
necessary to save the listing to a file. Or would it?

I have received comments in the past, that long filenames are enough.
I could still use other kinds of comments, for example, with photos,
and it would seem to be more convenient.

Thanks for any ideas.

Alan

Will Parsons

Jul 18, 2007, 8:00:39 AM7/18/07
Alan wrote:
> At one time, 4dos, an alternate M$DOG shell, enabled a file listing
> command to include a comment. In the days of 8+3 filenames, this was
> simple feature improved my work output considerably. Later on, GNU/
> Linux with extremely long filenames worked ok, and I was able to
> forget about 4dos.
>
> It occurs to me, however, that it might be possible to do a similar
> thing with dired, transparently. Is it currently possible? I saw an
> ipa.el, In Pace Annotations, on the emacs.sources group/list (http://
> www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/ipa.el), enabling commentary
> annotations to be saved in separate files, and viewed transparently.
> To use this feature for directory listings, however, it would be
> necessary to save the listing to a file. Or would it?

I'm not familiar with ipa.el, but 4dos worked (if I remember correctly)
by having an invisible file DESCRIPT.ION in each directory containing the
mappings of file names to file descriptions. As long as one used the 4dos
versions of copy, move, &c. to copy and move the files, the annotations
would follow the file names. You could do this in Emacs, but you would
have to use the annotation-aware version of dired to maintain the
annotations.

spamfilt...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2007, 1:45:15 AM7/20/07
On Jul 17, 7:09 am, Alan <lngn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> At one time, 4dos, an alternate M$DOG shell, enabled a file listing
> command to include a comment. In the days of 8+3 filenames, this was
> simple feature improved my work output considerably. Later on, GNU/
> Linux with extremely long filenames worked ok, and I was able to
> forget about 4dos.
>
> It occurs to me, however, that it might be possible to do a similar
> thing with dired, transparently. Is it currently possible? I saw an
> ipa.el, In Pace Annotations, on the emacs.sources group/list (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/ipa.el), enabling commentary

> annotations to be saved in separate files, and viewed transparently.
> To use this feature for directory listings, however, it would be
> necessary to save the listing to a file. Or would it?

Not necessarily. I can add some code to ipa.el which would use the
displayed directory as file name if the current buffer is in Dired
mode.

The only thing I need is a way to determine the path of the currently
displayed directory in Dired. If someone provides this code then I add
the rest to ipa.el.

Mathias Dahl

Jul 20, 2007, 4:14:13 AM7/20/07
"spamfilt...@gmail.com" <spamfilt...@gmail.com> writes:

> The only thing I need is a way to determine the path of the currently
> displayed directory in Dired. If someone provides this code then I add
> the rest to ipa.el.

Do you mean something like the function `dired-current-directory'? :)

Dieter Wilhelm

Jul 20, 2007, 5:06:13 AM7/20/07
to Alan, help-gn...@gnu.org
Alan <lng...@gmail.com> writes:

> I have received comments in the past, that long filenames are enough.
> I could still use other kinds of comments, for example, with photos,
> and it would seem to be more convenient.

For photos you can do this with M-x image-dired. Just type 'c' for
the current thumbnail and you can add a comment for the respective
image file which will be saved automatically. (At least this was
planed 8-), right now there is still a bug in image-dired. First you
have to create the database file yourself. And from then on it works
like a charm.)

--
Best wishes

H. Dieter Wilhelm
Darmstadt, Germany

Mathias Dahl

Jul 20, 2007, 5:27:05 AM7/20/07
Dieter Wilhelm <die...@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> For photos you can do this with M-x image-dired. Just type 'c' for
> the current thumbnail and you can add a comment for the respective
> image file which will be saved automatically. (At least this was
> planed 8-), right now there is still a bug in image-dired. First
> you have to create the database file yourself. And from then on it
> works like a charm.)

That bug will be soon gone, when the discussion how to best fix it, is
over.

BTW, from Dired, use the key binding C-t c.

/Mathias

Dieter Wilhelm

Jul 20, 2007, 11:30:04 AM7/20/07
to Mathias Dahl, help-gn...@gnu.org
Mathias Dahl <brakj...@gmail.com> writes:

Yes, this is true for the CVS version, but it will take some time till
the next stable Emacs version including these improvements comes out.

> BTW, from Dired, use the key binding C-t c.

Aha, one can also comment non-images! Nice, but sadly one can't
display/see the comment except in the database 8-(.

spamfilt...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2007, 12:12:01 PM7/21/07
On Jul 20, 10:14 am, Mathias Dahl <brakjol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "spamfilteracco...@gmail.com" <spamfilteracco...@gmail.com> writes:
> > The only thing I need is a way to determine the path of the currently
> > displayed directory in Dired. If someone provides this code then I add
> > the rest to ipa.el.
>
> Do you mean something like the function `dired-current-directory'? :)

Yep, thanks. :)

Dired support is implemented: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs?action=history;id=ipa.el

Mathias Dahl

Jul 21, 2007, 8:33:26 PM7/21/07
to Dieter Wilhelm, help-gn...@gnu.org, Mathias Dahl
> > That bug will be soon gone, when the discussion how to best fix it, is
> > over.
>
> Yes, this is true for the CVS version, but it will take some time till
> the next stable Emacs version including these improvements comes out.

True, true.

> Aha, one can also comment non-images!

Yes :)

> Nice, but sadly one can't
> display/see the comment except in the database 8-(.

Then I suggest you switch to use file-props.el instead :) New version
on EmacsWiki now:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/file-props.el

/Mathias