Emacs 23.1 and sending email through msmtp

Sivaram Neelakantan

Jul 30, 2009, 10:07:00 PM7/30/09
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
Apparently in 23.1, on windows at least, you may have to set
message-send-mail-function explicitly to use sendmail. On the earlier
22.2, this was not needed if you're using some other MDA.

(setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
;;;use msmtp instead of sendmail
(setq sendmail-program "/usr/sbin/msmtp")

Otherwise Emacs tries to launch the default windows associated mail
client. In my case, it was puzzling to see it launch Firefox when I
was trying to send email. A look at the docs showed that there are a
number of options to message-send-mail-function.

Hope this helps someone in a similar situation.

sivaram

Merciadri Luca

Jul 31, 2009, 6:18:07 PM7/31/09

Sivaram Neelakantan

Aug 1, 2009, 2:40:17 AM8/1/09
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
Merciadri Luca <mercia...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 31 juil, 04:07, Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram....@gmail.com> wrote:

[snipped 17 lines]

Sorry, I can't help with that. But have you tried to send an email
with a different email client and check whether it is faster? If I'm
sending mail through msmtp, Gnus does wait for about 10 secs before UI
is accessible again and this is on Windows?

sivaram

Merciadri Luca

Aug 1, 2009, 7:21:22 AM8/1/09
On Aug 1, 8:40 am, Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Merciadri Luca <merciadril...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On 31 juil, 04:07, Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snipped 17 lines]
>

> > Do you want to answer to
> >http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/browse_thread/thread/ac...

> > ?
>
> Sorry, I can't help with that.  But have you tried to send an email
> with a different email client and check whether it is faster?  If I'm
> sending mail through msmtp, Gnus does wait for about 10 secs before UI
> is accessible again and this is on Windows?
>
>  sivaram
>  --

Thanks for your answer. When I use e.g. Thunderbird, there is no
problem. Like me, you seem to sometimes have problems with a
``freeze'' of Gnus, as it waits a (very) long time before sending the
mail. On my PC, Gnus sometimes uses mail, sometimes uses smtp (in
``msmtp,'' does the ``m'' stands for ``Microsoft,'' as you seem to
work under Windows?), and it now works 3/4 of the time, but it
sometimes does not work, and I am not warned about this. It is a real
problem, as I have to transfer all mails I send to me, to be sure that
they have been correctly received: if I receive my copy, the other
person should have received his copy.