How to speed up the nnrss rechieving? Too slow!

anhnmncb

Feb 28, 2008, 8:13:18 AM2/28/08
Gnus' manual say I can use the script to speed up gnus:
#!/bin/sh
emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs -l ~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/.gnus.el -f
gnus-agent-batch >/dev/null 2>&1
So I tried and set up group nnrss to agent, then launch gnus-unplugged,
it warms me like this:
gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn't activate group nnrss:foo.feed:
Invalid group (no such directory)
Maybe emacs batch and guns-plunged don't support nnrss?
Any other way to speed the gnus up?
I like gnus so much, and want to do all of my mails and feeds fetching,
filtering by it :)
--
Regards,

anhnmncb
gpg key: 44A31344

Bastien

Feb 28, 2008, 9:00:43 AM2/28/08
to anhnmncb, info-gnu...@gnu.org
anhnmncb <anhn...@gmail.com> writes:

When I was reading RSS feeds with Gnus, I prefered to download them
asynchroneously:

(setq nnrss-use-local t)
(nnrss-generate-download-script)

If you want to speed up your Gnus, maybe you should consider this
solution. Have a look at the docstrings of these functions.

--
Bastien

Bastien

Feb 28, 2008, 10:07:12 AM2/28/08
to anhnmncb, info-gnu...@gnu.org
Bastien <b...@altern.org> writes:

> (setq nnrss-use-local t)
> (nnrss-generate-download-script)

Just a precision: this is *not* a recipe.

`nnrss-generate-download-script' will generate a script that you should
cron so that it fetches your RSS feeds.

,----[ (info "(gnus)RSS") ]
`----

--
Bastien

anhnmncb

Feb 28, 2008, 7:16:30 PM2/28/08
very useful!
But how to let gnus' don't check the new feeds when startup? I don't
want to use the method like C-u 3 gnus. It's relative to
group level, after read the manual, I don't have clue which option is
for that :(

William Xu

Feb 28, 2008, 9:47:37 PM2/28/08
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
anhnmncb <anhn...@gmail.com> writes:

> But how to let gnus' don't check the new feeds when startup? I don't
> want to use the method like C-u 3 gnus. It's relative to
> group level, after read the manual, I don't have clue which option is
> for that :(

The default levels that Gnus will check for news is no more than
3. Hence, you can set all your rss groups to a level greater than 3. The
command is `S L'.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

anhnmncb

Feb 29, 2008, 1:21:51 AM2/29/08
William Xu <willi...@gmail.com> writes:

> The default levels that Gnus will check for news is no more than
> 3. Hence, you can set all your rss groups to a level greater than 3. The
> command is `S L'.

armm... I tried to set all of the nnrss group to 4, not work :(
Maybe I've missed something?
Any other way to set groups' level quickly? Using mark? I did it one by
one, too boring.

BTW. I like to run gnus in a new emacs instant, so I start gnus by emacs
-name gnus -l ~/.emacs -f gnus.

anhnmncb

Feb 29, 2008, 2:52:47 AM2/29/08
Bastien <b...@altern.org> writes:

> When I was reading RSS feeds with Gnus, I prefered to download them
> asynchroneously:
>
> (setq nnrss-use-local t)
> (nnrss-generate-download-script)
>
> If you want to speed up your Gnus, maybe you should consider this
> solution. Have a look at the docstrings of these functions.

I have tried, set all nnrss group to level 4 and start gnus by emacs
-eval '(gnus 3)'
now every nnrss group starts with *,
*: nnrss:Gentoo Linux News
*: nnrss:FreshPorts news
it need me to go to every group and type RET to see it, not friendly
too much :(
Am I wrong?

William Xu

Feb 29, 2008, 4:06:15 AM2/29/08
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
anhnmncb <anhn...@gmail.com> writes:

> armm... I tried to set all of the nnrss group to 4, not work :(
> Maybe I've missed something?

I will reply to your next post.

> Any other way to set groups' level quickly? Using mark? I did it one by
> one, too boring.

Yes. You can mark(normal C-@) consecutive groups first, then `S L'. It
will change all marked groups to the new level you specified.

I also did not know this until one day i happened to give it a
try. Looks like docs string for `S L' needs a bit improving.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

William Xu

Feb 29, 2008, 4:09:00 AM2/29/08
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
anhnmncb <anhn...@gmail.com> writes:

I think just `M-: (gnus-group-get-new-news 4)' should check all groups
whose level is no more than 4.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

anhnmncb

Feb 29, 2008, 5:19:19 AM2/29/08
William Xu <willi...@gmail.com> writes:

> I think just `M-: (gnus-group-get-new-news 4)' should check all groups
> whose level is no more than 4.

Exactly what I want! Now I don't need to run gnus in another emacs
instant, you help me out a lot, thank you xwl :)

Bastien

Feb 29, 2008, 6:03:21 AM2/29/08
to anhnmncb, info-gnu...@gnu.org
anhnmncb <anhn...@gmail.com> writes:

> I have tried, set all nnrss group to level 4 and start gnus by emacs
> -eval '(gnus 3)'
> now every nnrss group starts with *,
> *: nnrss:Gentoo Linux News
> *: nnrss:FreshPorts news
> it need me to go to every group and type RET to see it, not friendly
> too much :(

Maybe what you need here is "Gnus Topics":

,----[ (info "(gnus)Group Topics") ]
| If you read lots and lots of groups, it might be convenient to group
| them hierarchically according to topics. You put your Emacs groups over
| here, your sex groups over there, and the rest (what, two groups or so?)
| you put in some misc section that you never bother with anyway. You can
| even group the Emacs sex groups as a sub-topic to either the Emacs
| groups or the sex groups--or both! Go wild!
`----

Since all your RSS feeds are already downloaded by the script, you can
just leave the RSS groups at their initial level (say, "3") and put them
in a folded topic.

--
Bastien

William Xu

Mar 3, 2008, 2:14:59 AM3/3/08
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
Bastien <b...@altern.org> writes:

So in .gnus, only (setq nnrss-use-local t) should be enough? (updating
rss feeds in nnrss-directory is not gnus' business, right? )

While, i find gnus will still try to contact the web host, as shown in
minibuffer: "Contacting host: ... " (I have already restarted emacs)

Am I missing something?

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

anhnmncb

Mar 3, 2008, 2:57:42 AM3/3/08
William Xu <willi...@gmail.com> writes:

> So in .gnus, only (setq nnrss-use-local t) should be enough? (updating
> rss feeds in nnrss-directory is not gnus' business, right? )
>
> While, i find gnus will still try to contact the web host, as shown in
> minibuffer: "Contacting host: ... " (I have already restarted emacs)
>
> Am I missing something?

Yes, that's enough, the speed is up now, too much!

Bastien

Mar 3, 2008, 3:16:54 AM3/3/08
to William Xu, info-gnu...@gnu.org
William Xu <willi...@gmail.com> writes:

>> ,----[ (info "(gnus)RSS") ]
>> | `nnrss-use-local'
>> | If you set `nnrss-use-local' to `t', `nnrss' will read the feeds
>> | from local files in `nnrss-directory'. You can use the command
>> | `nnrss-generate-download-script' to generate a download script
>> | using `wget'.
>> `----
>

> So in .gnus, only (setq nnrss-use-local t) should be enough? (updating
> rss feeds in nnrss-directory is not gnus' business, right? )

Yes.

> While, i find gnus will still try to contact the web host, as shown in
> minibuffer: "Contacting host: ... " (I have already restarted emacs)

Mh... maybe some ghost group haunting your config?

--
Bastien

William Xu

Mar 3, 2008, 4:08:12 AM3/3/08
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
Bastien <b...@altern.org> writes:

>> While, i find gnus will still try to contact the web host, as shown in
>> minibuffer: "Contacting host: ... " (I have already restarted emacs)
>
> Mh... maybe some ghost group haunting your config?

What kind of "ghost group"?

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

Bastien

Mar 3, 2008, 4:32:10 AM3/3/08
to William Xu, info-gnu...@gnu.org
William Xu <willi...@gmail.com> writes:

> Bastien <b...@altern.org> writes:
>
>>> While, i find gnus will still try to contact the web host, as shown in
>>> minibuffer: "Contacting host: ... " (I have already restarted emacs)
>>
>> Mh... maybe some ghost group haunting your config?

After testing it looks like there is actually something wrong happening
here. `nnrss-use-local' seems to be ignored somewhere it shouldn't.

--
Bastien

William Xu

Mar 3, 2008, 4:59:15 AM3/3/08
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
Bastien <b...@altern.org> writes:

> After testing it looks like there is actually something wrong happening
> here. `nnrss-use-local' seems to be ignored somewhere it shouldn't.

Maybe, bug?

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

William Xu

Mar 3, 2008, 10:15:07 AM3/3/08
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
anhnmncb <anhn...@sina.com> writes:

> Yes, that's enough, the speed is up now, too much!

Huh?! Bastien and I both failed. How did you set it up?

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

anhnmncb

Mar 3, 2008, 11:15:57 AM3/3/08
William Xu <willi...@gmail.com> writes:

> Huh?! Bastien and I both failed. How did you set it up?

Gnus still need to contact to nnrss servers, but instead the online
servers, it now just looks at the local files downloaded from that
script.
Mine is fine, don't know why yours isn't.

William Xu

Mar 3, 2008, 9:35:04 PM3/3/08
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
anhnmncb <anhn...@gmail.com> writes:

> William Xu <willi...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Huh?! Bastien and I both failed. How did you set it up?
> Gnus still need to contact to nnrss servers, but instead the online
> servers, it now just looks at the local files downloaded from that
> script.
> Mine is fine, don't know why yours isn't.

Hm, you(or we all) have a different Gnus version: Gnus/5.13 (Gnus
v5.13).

Mine is Gnus v5.11, Bastien's seems Gnus/5.110007 (No Gnus v0.7).

So many versions...

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

William Xu

Mar 4, 2008, 9:43:41 AM3/4/08
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
William Xu <willi...@gmail.com> writes:

> So in .gnus, only (setq nnrss-use-local t) should be enough? (updating
> rss feeds in nnrss-directory is not gnus' business, right? )
>

> While, i find gnus will still try to contact the web host, as shown in
> minibuffer: "Contacting host: ... " (I have already restarted emacs)
>

> Am I missing something?

Got it. nnrss requires user to download rss feeds into nnrss-directory
at least once. If nnrss can't find corresponding xml feeds there, then
it will fall back to contact the host again.

Maybe it's good to add this note in the doc.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

jid...@jidanni.org

Mar 10, 2008, 1:05:47 AM3/10/08
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
Before I start trying all the methods mentioned in the thread
"Re: How to speed up the nnrss rechieving? Too slow!",
I would just like to point out that maybe gnus could start using
the precise-down-to-one-second Group Timestamps,
(info "(gnus)Group Timestamp") <- `C-x C-e' here,
to keep track of how often the user would like each RSS group checked
for new items.

E.g., Billy likes Nerdsgroup checked every 60*60*8.5 seconds, whilst
Teurdsgroup he sets for once every two days.
And he can do this all say in .gnus.el or some other file he can use an
editor on, and not some customize of group parameter special
interface.

If the time has not arrived to check again, the group is not updated,
with no need to tinker with whatever group levels jazz. Of course
hitting a C-u something with the cursor on top of a RSS group would
refresh it right now.

The gnus-group-line-format could have a new % escape, that could
display the value Billy set for each group.

So please somebody enhance nnrss.el or whatever to use Group Timestamp
capabilities real soon now.

Ted Zlatanov

Mar 10, 2008, 9:29:10 AM3/10/08
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:05:47 +0800 jid...@jidanni.org wrote:

j> Before I start trying all the methods mentioned in the thread
j> "Re: How to speed up the nnrss rechieving? Too slow!",
j> I would just like to point out that maybe gnus could start using
j> the precise-down-to-one-second Group Timestamps,
j> (info "(gnus)Group Timestamp") <- `C-x C-e' here,
j> to keep track of how often the user would like each RSS group checked
j> for new items.

j> E.g., Billy likes Nerdsgroup checked every 60*60*8.5 seconds, whilst
j> Teurdsgroup he sets for once every two days.
j> And he can do this all say in .gnus.el or some other file he can use an
j> editor on, and not some customize of group parameter special
j> interface.

j> If the time has not arrived to check again, the group is not updated,
j> with no need to tinker with whatever group levels jazz. Of course
j> hitting a C-u something with the cursor on top of a RSS group would
j> refresh it right now.

j> The gnus-group-line-format could have a new % escape, that could
j> display the value Billy set for each group.

j> So please somebody enhance nnrss.el or whatever to use Group Timestamp
j> capabilities real soon now.

I think nnrss, like the rest of Gnus, should update when the user
requests it without special work.

If the functionality you describe is added, it should be optional.

Ted