using gmail contacts with Gnus

Dan Christensen

Jul 15, 2009, 10:31:59 AM7/15/09
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
Can Gnus use gmail contacts to expand aliases in outgoing messages?
If it can't do this directly, is anyone aware of tools to generate a
.mailrc from my gmail contacts?

As a more general question, I'm trying to figure out the best way to
manage my contacts. I've just purchased an android phone which can sync
with gmail contacts, so that seems to be a natural starting point,
although I don't use gmail much so I'm open to other possibilities.

My main goal is to have synchronized contact lists in Gnus (on a linux
machine) and on my android phone.

Dan

Bastien

Jul 15, 2009, 11:13:21 AM7/15/09
to Dan Christensen, info-gnu...@gnu.org
Dan Christensen <j...@uwo.ca> writes:

> Can Gnus use gmail contacts to expand aliases in outgoing messages?
> If it can't do this directly, is anyone aware of tools to generate a
> .mailrc from my gmail contacts?

Should be feasible:
http://code.google.com/apis/contacts/docs/1.0/developers_guide_python.html

> As a more general question, I'm trying to figure out the best way to
> manage my contacts. I've just purchased an android phone which can sync
> with gmail contacts, so that seems to be a natural starting point,
> although I don't use gmail much so I'm open to other possibilities.
>
> My main goal is to have synchronized contact lists in Gnus (on a linux
> machine) and on my android phone.

I guess many Gnus users use BBDB -- http://bbdb.sourceforge.net

Maybe a BBDB-gmail sync tool?

--
Bastien

Dan Christensen

Jul 15, 2009, 11:38:06 AM7/15/09
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
Bastien <b...@altern.org> writes:

> Dan Christensen <j...@uwo.ca> writes:
>
>> Can Gnus use gmail contacts to expand aliases in outgoing messages?
>> If it can't do this directly, is anyone aware of tools to generate a
>> .mailrc from my gmail contacts?
>
> Should be feasible:
> http://code.google.com/apis/contacts/docs/1.0/developers_guide_python.html

And here's an example of using emacs lisp to interact with a google
search API:

http://github.com/hober/google-el/tree/master

I bet it wouldn't be too hard to do something similar for contacts, so
Gnus could directly expand aliases for gmail contacts. Any takers?

This link is probably helpful too:

http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/articles/using_cURL.html

> I guess many Gnus users use BBDB -- http://bbdb.sourceforge.net
>
> Maybe a BBDB-gmail sync tool?

That would be also be nice.

Dan

Bastien

Jul 15, 2009, 12:30:46 PM7/15/09
to Dan Christensen, info-gnu...@gnu.org
Dan Christensen <j...@uwo.ca> writes:

> And here's an example of using emacs lisp to interact with a google
> search API:
>
> http://github.com/hober/google-el/tree/master

Hey, great!

> I bet it wouldn't be too hard to do something similar for contacts, so
> Gnus could directly expand aliases for gmail contacts. Any takers?

Not me right now, but I'd definitely be interested.

> This link is probably helpful too:
>
> http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/articles/using_cURL.html

Indeed. Thanks for google.el and the pointer!

--
Bastien