Migrating from Amphetedesk to nnrss

1 view

Mark Atwood

Mar 22, 2004, 4:55:20 AM3/22/04

I've been using Amphetedesk, and would like to use nnrss instead.

I've got a huge data/myChannels.opml file, and, of course, the
data/channels/*.xml collection.

I've found references to "nnrss-opml-import", but I cannot figure out
how to invoke it. Likewise, there is "nnrss-discover-feed", also with
no indication whatsoever as to how to invoke it.

Trying to create rss groups with "B nnrss RET y" is pointless, I get a
big list of Moreover catagories, but when I try to select one, it
*still* ask for a URL.

And for what it's worth, it's really dumb that gnus-group-make-rss-group
prompts for a name and a description, instead of doing the Right Thing,
and constructing them from the contents of the RSS file.

--
Mark Atwood | When you do things right,
m...@pobox.com | people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Jesper Harder

Mar 22, 2004, 6:02:26 AM3/22/04
Mark Atwood <m...@pobox.com> writes:

> I've got a huge data/myChannels.opml file, and, of course, the
> data/channels/*.xml collection.
>
> I've found references to "nnrss-opml-import", but I cannot figure out
> how to invoke it.

Do `M-x nnrss-opml-import' which will query for an opml file to
import. But you need a newer version of Gnus -- it was added after
5.10.6.

> And for what it's worth, it's really dumb that
> gnus-group-make-rss-group prompts for a name and a description,
> instead of doing the Right Thing, and constructing them from the
> contents of the RSS file.

It works that way for me. Maybe it depends on the feed.

Mark Atwood

Mar 22, 2004, 7:19:54 PM3/22/04
Jesper Harder <har...@myrealbox.com> writes:
> Mark Atwood <m...@pobox.com> writes:
>> I've found references to "nnrss-opml-import", but I cannot figure out
>> how to invoke it.
>
> Do `M-x nnrss-opml-import' which will query for an opml file to
> import. But you need a newer version of Gnus -- it was added after
> 5.10.6.

Are there any "howtos" on getting a newer version?

I've figured out how to check out the latest "hemorrhaging edge"
version via CVS, but it lacks installation directions.

Jesper Harder

Mar 22, 2004, 7:55:25 PM3/22/04
Mark Atwood <m...@pobox.com> writes:

> Are there any "howtos" on getting a newer version?
>
> I've figured out how to check out the latest "hemorrhaging edge"
> version via CVS, but it lacks installation directions.

Simply do './configure && make'.

Then 'make install' if you want it installed system-wide. Or
something like

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/gnus/lisp")
(add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "~/gnus/texi/")

in your .emacs, to use it directly from your home directory.

Mark Atwood

Mar 22, 2004, 8:26:57 PM3/22/04
Jesper Harder <har...@myrealbox.com> writes:
> Mark Atwood <m...@pobox.com> writes:
>>
>> I've found references to "nnrss-opml-import", but I cannot figure out
>> how to invoke it.
>
> Do `M-x nnrss-opml-import' which will query for an opml file to
> import. But you need a newer version of Gnus -- it was added after
> 5.10.6.

Okay. I've got the lastest gnus via CVS, and have done a "./configure
&& make && sudo make install", and gnus starts and runs just fine.

I then did M-x nnrss-opml-import myChannels.opml

and got a beep and "Attribute values must be given between quotes" in
the message line. Amphetedesk builds all it's XML using the
"standard" Perl XML tools, and the myChannel.opml file passes XML
validation Just Fine.

Jesper Harder

Mar 23, 2004, 11:55:34 AM3/23/04
Mark Atwood <m...@pobox.com> writes:

> I then did M-x nnrss-opml-import myChannels.opml
>
> and got a beep and "Attribute values must be given between quotes"
> in the message line.

What does your entries look like? FWIW, mine look like:

<outline text="Nature Science Update" xmlUrl="http://www.nature.com/nsu/rss.rdf"/>

Mark Atwood

Mar 23, 2004, 1:59:17 PM3/23/04
Jesper Harder <har...@myrealbox.com> writes:

> What does your entries look like? FWIW, mine look like:
>
> <outline text="Nature Science Update" xmlUrl="http://www.nature.com/nsu/rss.rdf"/>

I got it working last night, by laboriously "B R"ing each entry.
There were more attributes than just "text" and "xmlUrl" in them, and
some of them were empty (they had values of ""), and apparently the
XML parser incorrectly cannot handle emptys.

I'm having a similar problem now in that occationally an RSS file will
have an empty value somewhere, and blow up the XML parse, and thus
hang the "get news" until I do a Ctrl-G to make it move to the next.