Checking new news doesn't get new news

Gerard Lanois

Sep 4, 2002, 5:40:32 PM9/4/02

I've been using Gnus for a couple of years now, and lately I've
been seeing a strange problem when checking for new news ('g').

gnus-version's value is "Gnus v5.9.0"

This problem might be more with the server than my gnus client.
The server I am using is text.giganews.com.

The problem is as follows: when I check for new news, gnus does
not report the arrival of any new articles.

By poking around, I discovered a way to verify whether there are
truly any new articles. My workaround is to enter the group,
ask for 1 article (it offers to show all the old articles). Then
I catchup the group ('c'). Now the next time I check for new
news ('g'), I will see that new articles have in fact arrived.

Does anyone have any advice on what the problem might be or
how to diagnose what is going on with the server?

Thanks in advance,

-Gerard

Here is my .gnus file:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; gnus ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
(setq nntp-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
(add-hook 'nntp-server-opened-hook 'nntp-send-authinfo)
(setq
gnus-read-active-file nil
gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil)
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "text.giganews.com"))
(setq gnus-post-method 'current)
(setq user-full-name "Gerard Lanois"
user-mail-address "gerard...@netscape.net"
message-from-style 'angles)

Bob Babcock

Sep 4, 2002, 8:10:33 PM9/4/02
> I've been using Gnus for a couple of years now, and lately I've
> been seeing a strange problem when checking for new news ('g').

> The problem is as follows: when I check for new news, gnus does
> not report the arrival of any new articles.

Perhaps the news server has logged you out after a period of inactivity but
gnus doesn't know this has happened. Try one of these functions to wake up
the server. I posted them a few days ago and someone reported they helped
with his problem:

(defun try-news ()
"Try news server every 30 seconds until connection succeeds"
(interactive)
(while (not (gnus-check-server)) (sleep-for 30) )
(beep)
(message-box "Newserver connection established"))

(defun retry-news ()
"Close news server then try to reopen every 30 seconds until connection succeeds"
(interactive)
(gnus-close-server gnus-current-select-method)
(while (not (gnus-check-server)) (sleep-for 30) )
(beep)
(message-box "Newserver connection established"))

Gerard Lanois

Sep 5, 2002, 1:16:58 PM9/5/02
Bob Babcock <wss...@gis.net> writes:

> > I've been using Gnus for a couple of years now, and lately I've
> > been seeing a strange problem when checking for new news ('g').
> > The problem is as follows: when I check for new news, gnus does
> > not report the arrival of any new articles.
>
> Perhaps the news server has logged you out after a period of inactivity but
> gnus doesn't know this has happened.

Thanks for the suggestion.

In my case, the problem is apparent as soon as I start emacs/gnus.

-Gerard

Gerard Lanois

Sep 10, 2002, 5:32:47 PM9/10/02
Gerard Lanois <gerard...@netscape.net> writes:

> I've been using Gnus for a couple of years now, and lately I've
> been seeing a strange problem when checking for new news ('g').
>
> gnus-version's value is "Gnus v5.9.0"
>

> This problem might be more with the server than my gnus client.
> The server I am using is text.giganews.com.
>
> The problem is as follows: when I check for new news, gnus does
> not report the arrival of any new articles.
>
> By poking around, I discovered a way to verify whether there are
> truly any new articles. My workaround is to enter the group,
> ask for 1 article (it offers to show all the old articles). Then
> I catchup the group ('c'). Now the next time I check for new
> news ('g'), I will see that new articles have in fact arrived.
>
> Does anyone have any advice on what the problem might be or
> how to diagnose what is going on with the server?

More information:

By setting nntp-record-commands to non-nil, I was able to see the
outbound NNTP commands. Apparently gnus is using LIST ACTIVE to ask
for the available articles.

On the particular news server I am using, GROUP gives a more accurate
answer, with the additional side effect of forcing all subsequent LIST
ACTIVE commands to give the correct answer. That is why entering the
group is causing more articles to become available to gnus.

So, is there a way to control what NNTP command gnus uses to ask if
there is new news? Maybe something to do with the function
gnus-group-get-new-news?

I've done some searching around, but quickly got lost.

gnus-get-new-news-hook
gnus-get-unread-articles gnus-start.el
gnus-get-unread-articles-in-group gnus-start.el
gnus-find-method-for-group gnus.el

Thanks in advance for any help in this area.

-Gerard

Gerard Lanois

Sep 11, 2002, 1:49:43 PM9/11/02
Gerard Lanois <gerard...@netscape.net> writes:

> On the particular news server I am using, GROUP gives a more accurate
> answer, with the additional side effect of forcing all subsequent LIST
> ACTIVE commands to give the correct answer. That is why entering the
> group is causing more articles to become available to gnus.
>
> So, is there a way to control what NNTP command gnus uses to ask if
> there is new news? Maybe something to do with the function
> gnus-group-get-new-news?

I am achieving the desired effect (force use of GROUP instead of
LIST ACTIVE) by using M-g ('gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group').

But I have to do that individually on each of my groups.

So, how do I tell gnus-group-get-new-news to do it the same
way (use GROUP).

-Gerard

Kai Großjohann

Sep 12, 2002, 7:03:07 AM9/12/02
Gerard Lanois <gerard...@netscape.net> writes:

> So, how do I tell gnus-group-get-new-news to do it the same
> way (use GROUP).

If you use topics, M-g on the top-level topic might also do the trick.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn (Frank Nobis)