very quick question about open buffers after sending replies...

Martin Jørgensen

Jun 22, 2006, 3:59:42 PM6/22/06

I've been using gnus for something like perhaps about 2 weeks (can't
remember it exactly?) and can figure out the most basic stuff. Perhaps I
missed something but when I reply to a news-message I press "F" while on
top of it...

Then I write my comments and then I press C-c C-c and the post is
send. But the buffer isn't closed... I've got lots of these:

*sent followup to Pe: 6666 Message ~/News/drafts/drafts/5
*sent followup to:<2> 4222 Message ~/News/drafts/drafts/7
*sent followup to:<3> 2671 Message ~/News/drafts/drafts/8
*sent followup to pe: 3164 Message ~/News/drafts/drafts/9
*sent followup to:<2> 3818 Message ~/News/drafts/drafts/10

So is it supposed to work that way?

I don't like having manually to kill those buffers, so is there a better method?

Best regards
Martin Jørgensen

Home of Martin Jørgensen - http://www.martinjoergensen.dk

Johan Bockgård

Jun 22, 2006, 4:20:53 PM6/22/06
hotmai...@hotmail.com (Martin Jørgensen) writes:

> Then I write my comments and then I press C-c C-c and the post is

> send. But the buffer isn't closed. [...]

> So is it supposed to work that way?

Yes.

> I don't like having manually to kill those buffers, so is there a
> better method?

(info "(message)Message Buffers")

--
Johan Bockgård

Martin Jørgensen

Jun 24, 2006, 4:07:24 AM6/24/06
bojoha...@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

AFAICS it just says how to reply.

Martin Jørgensen

Jun 24, 2006, 4:16:43 AM6/24/06
bojoha...@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

Sorry, I looked the wrong place before.

I guess you're referring to:

`message-generate-new-buffers'
If non-`nil', generate new buffers. The default is `t'. If this
is a function, call that function with three parameters: The type,
the to address and the group name. (Any of these may be `nil'.)
The function should return the new buffer name.

So I inserted this in my .gnus:

(setq message-generate-new-buffers `nil) ;; kill buffer after replying to post

I don't think it's correct, is it? My quick test showed that nothing
happened...

Martin Jørgensen

Jun 29, 2006, 7:01:23 PM6/29/06

I don't want open buffers when I reply in gnus, so I asked this question
about a week ago, but nobody answered the last part of it.

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/browse_frm/thread/47090b06ba6c6c5b/db6fd7a5da122c40?lnk=st&q=very+quick+question+about+open+buffers+group%3Agnu.emacs.gnus&rnum=1&hl=en#db6fd7a5da122c40

>> Then I write my comments and then I press C-c C-c and the post is
>> send. But the buffer isn't closed. [...]

>> So is it supposed to work that way?

> Yes.

>> I don't like having manually to kill those buffers, so is there a
>> better method?

> (info "(message)Message Buffers")

Sorry, I looked the wrong place before.
I guess you're referring to:

`message-generate-new-buffers'
If non-`nil', generate new buffers. The default is `t'. If this
is a function, call that function with three parameters: The type,
the to address and the group name. (Any of these may be `nil'.)
The function should return the new buffer name.

So I inserted this in my .gnus:

(setq message-generate-new-buffers nil) ;; kill buffer after replying to post

I don't think it's correct... Nothing changed. I still get open buffers
after replying...

Question: What exactly do I insert in my .gnus file to get this
behaviour? I'm a gnus newbie, so I really don't know, except the above
line didn't work....

Robert D. Crawford

Jun 30, 2006, 7:00:48 AM6/30/06
hotmai...@hotmail.com (Martin Jørgensen) writes:

> I don't want open buffers when I reply in gnus, so I asked this question
> about a week ago, but nobody answered the last part of it.

snip

> Question: What exactly do I insert in my .gnus file to get this
> behaviour? I'm a gnus newbie, so I really don't know, except the above
> line didn't work....

Try this instead:

(setq message-kill-buffer-on-exit t)

C-h v shows:

|Documentation:
|*Non-nil means that the message buffer will be killed after sending a message.
|
|You can customize this variable.
|
|Defined in `message'.

which is what I think you are saying.

rdc

--
Robert D. Crawford
rd...@comcast.net

Martin Jørgensen

Jun 30, 2006, 5:38:08 PM6/30/06
"Robert D. Crawford" <rd...@comcast.net> writes:

> hotmai...@hotmail.com (Martin Jørgensen) writes:
-snip-

> Try this instead:
>
> (setq message-kill-buffer-on-exit t)
>
> C-h v shows:
>
> |Documentation:
> |*Non-nil means that the message buffer will be killed after sending a message.
> |
> |You can customize this variable.
> |
> |Defined in `message'.
>
> which is what I think you are saying.

Exactly! Thanks a lot...

BTW: How do you know that or how could I know that? Is it in the
help-menu somewhere... Or did you look at a long list of internal
variables and then read about a few of them with C-h v ?

Johan Bockgård

Jun 30, 2006, 7:36:15 PM6/30/06
hotmai...@hotmail.com (Martin Jørgensen) writes:

> BTW: How do you know that or how could I know that?

(info "(message)Message Buffers")

--
Johan Bockgård

Robert D. Crawford

Jun 30, 2006, 10:31:24 PM6/30/06
hotmai...@hotmail.com (Martin Jørgensen) writes:

> BTW: How do you know that or how could I know that? Is it in the
> help-menu somewhere... Or did you look at a long list of internal
> variables and then read about a few of them with C-h v ?

IIRC, it was in this group that I found it in One of three ways

1. I did a search via google

2. Someone else asked the question and it was one of the things that I
had on the back burner to solve. This happens more often than I
would like to admit.

3. I asked at some point.

At this point I really don't remember which.

As concerns using apropos to search for variables and then doing C-h v,
sometimes it is easy and you know pretty much what you are going to need
to search for. Other times you will have to look through quite a list
of variables before you find the one you need. This gets easier as you
keep working with emacs and the conventions become clearer.

Remember, M-x apropos is your friend.

BTW, a later post gives the advice

(info "(message)Message Buffers")

Just in case you don't know, if you see something that looks like this,
place point directly after the closing paren and use C-x C-e to
evaluate. Try it and you will open up an info buffer with the relevant
documentation.

happy hacking,

Martin Jørgensen

Jul 1, 2006, 2:21:24 PM7/1/06
"Robert D. Crawford" <rd...@comcast.net> writes:

-snip-

> At this point I really don't remember which.
>
> As concerns using apropos to search for variables and then doing C-h v,
> sometimes it is easy and you know pretty much what you are going to need
> to search for. Other times you will have to look through quite a list
> of variables before you find the one you need. This gets easier as you
> keep working with emacs and the conventions become clearer.
>
> Remember, M-x apropos is your friend.

Thanks. I'll try that some more.

> BTW, a later post gives the advice
>
> (info "(message)Message Buffers")
>
> Just in case you don't know, if you see something that looks like this,
> place point directly after the closing paren and use C-x C-e to
> evaluate. Try it and you will open up an info buffer with the relevant
> documentation.

Thanks again...