xboard datapoint

Paul Vaughan

Jan 28, 1991, 1:46:48 PM1/28/91

Just FYI,

I was able to make xboard using gcc on a SUN 4 running SUNOS
4.03 with very little difficulty. Aside from changing library paths
in the Makefile, I only changed this line in the Makefile.

CCOPTIONS = -Wf,-XNh2000 -Olimit 2000

CCOPTIONS =

I don't know what these compiler options are supposed to mean. I just
know that neither gcc or cc (the Sun C compiler) accepted them. It
doesn't seem to hurt anything to simply omit them.

Thanks to Dan and Chris for the update!

Paul Vaughan, MCC CAD Program | ARPA: vau...@mcc.com | Phone: [512] 338-3639
Box 200195, Austin, TX 78720 | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!vaughan

meis...@osf.org

Jan 28, 1991, 5:56:00 PM1/28/91
| Just FYI,
|
| I was able to make xboard using gcc on a SUN 4 running SUNOS
| 4.03 with very little difficulty. Aside from changing library paths
| in the Makefile, I only changed this line in the Makefile.
|
| CCOPTIONS = -Wf,-XNh2000 -Olimit 2000

| CCOPTIONS =
|
| I don't know what these compiler options are supposed to mean. I just
| know that neither gcc or cc (the Sun C compiler) accepted them. It
| doesn't seem to hurt anything to simply omit them.
|
| Thanks to Dan and Chris for the update!

These options are for use with the MIPS compiler suite. The -Olimit
option bumps the maximum size in basic blocks that the global
optimizer will handle. The -Wf,... option passes the stuff after the
comma to the compiler proper -- I suspect it's bumping some other
table up.

--
Michael Meissner email: meis...@osf.org phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?

Daniel Edward Lovinger

Jan 29, 1991, 2:47:17 PM1/29/91
Excerpts from netnews.gnu.chess: 28-Jan-91 xboard datapoint Paul
Vau...@sunspot.cad (745)

> I was able to make xboard using gcc on a SUN 4 running SUNOS
> 4.03 with very little difficulty. Aside from changing library paths
> in the Makefile, I only changed this line in the Makefile.

> CCOPTIONS = -Wf,-XNh2000 -Olimit 2000

That's DECstation compiler stuff ...

Speaking of problems with xboard, it makes the assumption that int is
assignement and operator compatible with enum all over the code. At
least with the DECstation MIPS 1.31 compiler, this generates pages and
pages of warnings along with a couple of fatal errors (which are easily
fixed by casting the enums to ints). Is this fixed with the 2.0
compilers? Anyone else have this happen to them?

Other than that ... Very Nice.

Dan Lovinger Computing & Comunications Carnegie Mellon U.
Internet: dl...@andrew.cmu.edu Bitnet: dl2n+%andrew.cmu.edu@carnegie
"... and in the stillness, they heard the cry of the golden banana ..."