request...........

Thang

Jun 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/9/95

hi everyone.

forgive me of being stupid, but what is GNU chess anyway?
and do anyone have a shareware or know where i can get a shareware version?

thanks in advance...

DJ Delorie

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.95060...@student.canberra.edu.au> Thang <u95...@student.canberra.edu.au> writes:
> forgive me of being stupid, but what is GNU chess anyway?
> and do anyone have a shareware or know where i can get a shareware version?

GNU Chess is a software package (gnuchess) that plays
human-vs-computer chess. The sources are protected by the GNU General
Public License, allowing anyone to have access to the sources and thus
learn from them as well as enjoy a good game of chess. This also
means that you'll usually need to compile it yourself to play it
locally.

GNU Chess, according to its own docs, plays at about 2350-2400 USCF on
a Sparc 1. Faster CPUs, obviously, give it a higher rating.

The gnu.chess newsgroup is for the discussion of developing the GNU
Chess software itself. Contrast with rec.games.chess, which is for
people *playing* chess.

GNU Chess sources are at ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/gnuchess-4.0.pl74.tar.gz

WebChess, a WWW interface to GNUchess (for those of you who can't
build gnuchess locally but can run a graphical web browser) is
available at http://www.delorie.com/game-room/chess/ (my machine).

DOS/Windows binaries are available somewhere on the 'net also.

DJ
d...@delorie.com
http://www.delorie.com/

Stuart Cracraft

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95

d...@delorie.com (DJ Delorie) writes:

> GNU Chess, according to its own docs, plays at about 2350-2400 USCF on
> a Sparc 1. Faster CPUs, obviously, give it a higher rating.

A correction to Delorie's note...

GNU Chess was initiated by me back in the mid-1980's, the goal
being to promulgate chess code so that the wheel didn't have to
be reinvented by every young person with a technical interest in
programming computer chess.

In conjunction with Richard Stallman back in the mid 1980's, I placed
it under the GNU umbrella and the various protective laws provided by
the FSF) and it became the mascot of the GNU project, a kind of public
chess bulldog (call it a watchdog if you like.)

Within about a year, John Stanback of Hewlett-Packard joined the
project and contributed his own code which was laboriously and
meticulously well-written.

Since then, a virtual rogue's gallery of wizards have contributed to
its progress helping it to become a fairly decent chess opponent.

Nevertheless, I've changed the documentation for the next release to
not be so bloated in its claim of strength since the field is replete
with this kind of exaggeration.

--Stuart