[Gnocl -the Tcl/Gtk Bindings] Release 0.9.96

William J Giddings

Jan 1, 2012, 3:36:00 PM1/1/12
to gn...@googlegroups.com
Just uploaded the latest stable release to Sourceforge. It been some time since the last major release and a of enhancements have been made. For me the next milestone was implementing the recentFiles functionality available through Gtk+. This is working, although a lot more options and commands need to be implemented for the gnocl::recentManager widget. Having said that, though, I can see that bulk of the functionality would only be rarely used.

Regular readers of this blog may have noticed that the posts have reduced over the past few months. This isn't due to any loss of interest in Gnocl, far from it! I've also been working on my own translation tools which, I have to say, is the basic fuel which keeps the development work going.

Over the past four years or so that I've been working on Gnocl an awful lot of code has been added to the sources. Code that not only provide Tcl access to Gtk resources but provides a whole lot of advanced features which makes coding a breeze.

Happy 2012!!!

--
Posted By William J Giddings to Gnocl -the Tcl/Gtk Bindings on 1/01/2012 08:36:00 PM

David McClamrock

Jan 2, 2012, 10:52:14 AM1/2/12
to gn...@googlegroups.com
Hi! Got it, packaged it, installed it, but when I tried to run an app it said it couldn't find "libgtkimageview":

sh-4.1# wishdisc &
[1] 11704
sh-4.1# couldn't load file "/usr/lib/tcl8.5/gnocl-0.9.96/gnocl.so": libgtkimageview.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
while executing
"load /usr/lib/tcl8.5/gnocl-0.9.96/gnocl.so"
("package ifneeded Gnocl 0.9.96" script)
invoked from within
"package require Gnocl"
(file "/usr/local/bin/wishdisc" line 30)

[1]+ Done(1) wishdisc
sh-4.1#

Please help!

David McClamrock

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM, William J Giddings <wjgid...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Just uploaded the latest stable release to Sourceforge. [ . . . ]

William Giddings

Jan 2, 2012, 11:23:04 AM1/2/12
to gn...@googlegroups.com
HI David

Yes. You'll need to install the libraries from your distro repository.

Will

David McClamrock

Jan 2, 2012, 12:40:50 PM1/2/12
to gn...@googlegroups.com
OK, have you got a list of libraries that Gnocl 0.9.96 requires but 0.9.95 (2011 Apr 29 edition) didn't require?

David McClamrock

William Giddings

Jan 2, 2012, 3:17:48 PM1/2/12
to gn...@googlegroups.com
Hi David

Here's the line straight out the Makefile.

LIBS := $(shell pkg-config \
--libs gtk+-2.0 libglade-2.0 libnotify gtkimageview) \
-ltclstub$(TCL_VERSION)

This widget is not a part of the Gtk+ widgetset but is really useful.
The docs need uploading.

Good luck.

Will

David McClamrock

Jan 2, 2012, 8:42:48 PM1/2/12
to gn...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've got all those libraries now. It complained about lacking one more thing, which was "libpng14.so.14." I've got libpng12, not 14, on my Puppy Linux 5.2.8 system. For comparison, I checked the latest Ubuntu version (Precise), and it still only has libpng12. So I cheated a bit, created a s-link to libpng12.so.0 and called it "libpng14.so.14," and then all my Gnocl apps worked with 0.9.96.

That's all right for me, but before I release a Gnocl 0.9.96 package for Puppy to the Puppy-loving public, I'd like it (if possible) to work without modifications and without external dependencies not built into Puppy (other than Tcl). Would it be possible to tweak the code a bit and release a Gnocl 0.9.96 binary that (1) would automatically accept libpng12 as a substitute for libpng14, and (2) would treat libgtkimageview as optional, not required?

David McClamrock

P.S.  I just found out that a fellow Puppy user is rewriting TkDVD for Gnocl; details forthcoming if I can get the finished product and it works.
360.gif

William Giddings

Jan 3, 2012, 7:19:15 AM1/3/12
to gn...@googlegroups.com
Hi David

gtkimageview obviously needs the libpng library. I'll branch the widget out into a separate module.

Will

360.gif

David McClamrock

Jan 3, 2012, 5:28:37 PM1/3/12
to gn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Um, one more thing: I recently noticed what appears to be a bug. In the gnocl::list widgets I use in WISH File Rusher, WISH Music Time, WISH Command Console (Launch window), and WISH Checkbook, and the gnocl::tree in WISH Disc-Writer (Add Data CD/DVD Content List window), the contents of directories are listed in reverse order with Gnocl 0.9.96! I've switched back and forth between 0.9.96 and 0.9.95 (2011 Apr 29) a few times; each time, the order is correct with 0.9.95, but reversed with 0.9.96. If you get a chance, would you mind investigating this? Thanks again!

David McClamrock
360.gif

William Giddings

Jan 4, 2012, 2:50:06 AM1/4/12
to gn...@googlegroups.com
Hi David

Thanks. I'll look into the default settings.

WJG

360.gif