Work around for Ubuntu 10.10 users. ("Fixes" server crashing.)

JayBomb999

Jan 2, 2011, 1:44:06 AM1/2/11
to gmote users
If you're like me, when upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10, gmote would crash
as soon as you selected an audio or video file. I've searched the web
pretty extensively and it's clear that many others are having this
issue. Since it appears as though the developers have abandoned this
user group, and possibly the gmote project, I thought I would point
those still struggling to a workaround that worked for me.

Basically, the problem is VLC. In Ubuntu 10.04, the default version
was 1.0.6 and in 10.10, the default version is 1.1.4. I'm not entirely
sure what exactly changed, but the user named "diluted" in this group
suggested the following possibility:

"...gmote uses libvlc's libvlc_media_new() hook function in order to
play a video or whatever, which, in the version of the vlc bundled
with the ubuntu (1.1.4), has been changed to
libvlc_media_new_location()"

So, what I did was downgrade VLC to 1.0.6. In my opinion, no
significant functionality is lost by doing this. Unfortunately, the
downgrade process is not as simple as you might think. Just remove
any current installation of VLC, and then re-install using the
directions at the following link, post #8.

This is only a temporary fix of course. Hopefully, someone will
figure out a way to make gmote-server work properly with the latest
versions of VLC.

Good luck.