GMarks menu button sometimes unresponsive in Firefox 3.6?

Mark Waite

Jan 23, 2010, 1:09:48 PM1/23/10
to GMarks
I installed Firefox 3.6 on several different Windows computers
(Windows Vista x64 Ultimate, Windows XP, Windows 7 x64 Home) and found
that on 3 of 4 computers there seem to be times when a click on the
"GMarks" button does not cause the GMarks menu to drop down.

It does not seem to happen 100% of the time, but it happens enough
times to be annoying.

I'm running GMarks 1.0.2 over Firefox 3.6. This is new behavior that
I did not see in any previous version of Firefox or of GMarks.

Thanks,
Mark Waite

knauszi

Jan 23, 2010, 1:57:33 PM1/23/10
to GMarks
I experience exactly the same unresponsive behavior. It is really
annoying, because after getting inactive the button won't respond
until restarting Firefox.
knauszi

mcapehart

Jan 24, 2010, 12:32:57 AM1/24/10
to GMarks
I'm having this happen too, but in the toolbar buttons. Not sure if
that's what you guys are referring to or not.

XopherMV

Jan 24, 2010, 1:34:08 AM1/24/10
to GMarks
I'm seeing the exact same unresponsiveness. I've installed Firefox
3.6 with GMarks on two computers. One was running Windows XP. The
other was Windows 7 64-bit. Both had a noticeable lag when clicking
on the GMarks Bookmark tab. Typically if I waited a few seconds, the
menu would eventually come up. However, I often had to wait a few
seconds every single time I went to pull up a bookmark. This bug is
extremely annoying.
Message has been deleted

Hanky

Jan 25, 2010, 6:28:35 PM1/25/10
to GMarks
I have the same issue, I now use "alt + g" to access the GMarks.

Mark Waite

Jan 25, 2010, 7:42:04 PM1/25/10
to GMarks
Oddly enough, the only time "alt + g" works for me is the same time
that clicking on the button in the menu bar also works.

The temporary unresponsiveness which I detect seems to come and go,
without requiring that I exit Firefox. It seems to be more likely to
occur immediately after opening a tab, although opening a tab is not a
guarantee that the GMarks button in the menu bar will be
unresponsive. Clicking another button on the menu bar does not
consistently resolve the problem.

One of the earlier writers noted that the button seemed unresponsive
to them while a page was being opened in a tab. I think that matches
my experience. When I open a new tab and open a slower loading page
from the GMarks menu, then the open another tab before that page has
finished loading, the GMarks button on the menu frequently becomes
unresponsive.

Mark Waite

Jan 26, 2010, 9:40:46 AM1/26/10
to GMarks
I seem to frequently work around the problem by clicking the Tools
button, then the Bookmarks button until eventually the GMarks menu
appears. I haven't placed wireshark on the network to watch the
traffic, so I'm not sure if those clicks make a difference. The
problem does not seem to resolve itself solely by the passage of time,
so I assume the clicks are having some affect on the behavior.

Mark

41RW4LK

Jan 27, 2010, 2:57:42 AM1/27/10
to GMarks
Same trouble here. I have "Hide Bookmarks menu", "Enable Gmarks menu",
and "Rename Gmarks to Bookmarks" checked. I'm not sure if that's a
factor or not, but maybe others could confirm their options.

Danny A

Jan 27, 2010, 8:35:09 AM1/27/10
to GMarks
Ditto for me. Sometimes it takes a second or two to populate in
Firefox 3.6. If I click on Tools or Bookmarks a few times it seems to
solve the problem, but it's more than a little frustrating sometimes.
It almost makes me want to downgrade Firefox.

Danny

Satie

Jan 27, 2010, 5:14:40 PM1/27/10
to GMarks
Me too !! Just after 3.6 upgrade. Sometimes OK, other times need to
click a few times. No difference if theme installed or not. Seems to
be a non-idiosyncratic issue that needs looking into. PS I love
Gmarks.

Andre

Jan 28, 2010, 5:04:10 AM1/28/10
to GMarks
Seems to me that we should look for something similar. Do you have any
suggestions ?

Mark Waite

Jan 29, 2010, 6:59:10 PM1/29/10
to GMarks
I'm afraid I've felt the same way, annoyed enough that I've considered
other alternatives. GMarks is the plugin I use the most. I don't
want it to lose value by being a little less friendly.

Mark

John Marshall

Jan 29, 2010, 11:41:11 PM1/29/10
to gma...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to look into a fix in a couple days. Sorry about the problems again.

jw80

Feb 10, 2010, 8:24:37 PM2/10/10
to GMarks
I have similar problems. I have two bookmark menus on my bookmark
toolbar (named Bookmarks and Groups). If I open a bookmark from the
Groups menu, then the Groups menu becomes unresponsive, but the
Bookmarks menu still works fine (and vice versa). A temporary but
somewhat inconvenient work around is to right click anywhere that
gives you a right click menu (right clicking on a page or the bookmark
toolbar menu works). For whatever reason, just displaying that right
click menu will fix the problem and the the unresponsive clicking
becomes responsive again. As I said though, it is an inconvenience and
I hope to see a proper fix, although I'm not sure if this is a GMarks
bug or a Firefox 3.6 bug.

JohnM5

Feb 14, 2010, 2:30:34 PM2/14/10
to GMarks
I should probably mention that my laptop died on me so I'll need to
wait until I get it back to look into fixing this, although I haven't
personally had the problems mentioned.

Dale

Mar 21, 2010, 11:45:42 AM3/21/10
to GMarks
I've been patiently waiting for Mr. Marshall to fix this, but since he
says it never happens for him, maybe he doesn't realize just how
annoying it is. It IS annoying. I'll add that Mark Waite and jw80
have given great descriptions/info on the problem. I'll add that I've
just run another test on my XP. My Gmarks button is always
unresponsive right after I use it to open a link in a new tab. I can
click once on any button in the Menu Bar, go back to the Gmarks
button, and it's become responsive.

We appreciate your great work, it's a wonderful add-in! But please
take a look & fix this. Thanks so much.

Josep

Mar 23, 2010, 5:41:02 PM3/23/10
to GMarks

Someone has an alternative ti gmarks? I'm sick of this bug.

jw80

Mar 23, 2010, 7:51:23 PM3/23/10
to GMarks
Updated to Firefox 3.6.2 today, hoping it would fix the bug. No luck
though, hoping to see a GMarks update soon to fix this, it's starting
to drive me insane :D

JohnM5

Mar 23, 2010, 8:17:15 PM3/23/10
to GMarks
Ok, so I'm actually trying to fix this now, but I just can't reproduce
it. This happens when clicking the gmarks menu, gmarks toolbar
dropdown, or other toolbar buttons? Or is it with all of them? And
this does not happen all the time, just some of the time?
And to be specific, the problem is that sometimes when clicking on
these firefox freezes/stalls for several seconds until the results of
the click occur? (typically popping up a menu or window)

Do you have any other extensions installed? I can't think of any
change between 3.6 and before that would have caused this. And it
happens both in windows and osx? (I test most of the stuff in OSX
since that is what I run...)

Laurent

Mar 24, 2010, 6:19:51 AM3/24/10
to GMarks
Hi,

I have a similar problem on WinXP and also two Vista on FF3.6,
probably the same: sometimes, when I click on the GMarks menu, the
drop-down menu won't show at all.
There is no freeze for me.
My (annoying) work-around is first to click on another menu, then
click on GMarks, and most of the time that works.

I have a number of extension on the 3 computers (mainly adblock+ and
GoogleToolbar ) but I don't have time to try to disable them all right
now.

Thanks anyway for this great extension.

John Marshall

Mar 24, 2010, 11:09:31 AM3/24/10
to gma...@googlegroups.com
When you get this problem do you see any gmarks errors in the error console? Tools>Error Console.
Even when I try this in windows I don't get any errors. I think I have an idea for a fix anyway, but I would like this information first.

cralford

Mar 24, 2010, 11:29:39 AM3/24/10
to GMarks
Thanks for your efforts John, they are really appreciated.

I can consistently reproduce the problem. There are other scenarios
that cause problems but this one always works for me.

1. Create a bookmark to access a domain that no longer exists. The one
I use is http://uranus.na.pg.com/. Note that I have flushed the dns
server. Note that I tried to
2. Note that the problem only happens when you try to access the url
using a gmark bookmark. If I just type in the url, the problem does
not manifest itself.
3. The gmarks dropdown will no longer open.
4. If I then click the File dropdown, the gmarks dropdown always opens
on the 2nd click never the first but I have never had to click it more
than twice.

As far as extensions go I am assuming you are talking about addons. I
am using
1. Adobe DLM
2. Java Console versions 6.017 and 6.018
3. Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 1.1
4. Move Media Player 7
5. NoScript
6. ShowIP

I am using xp sp3 and am up to date with my patches. I hope this
helps. Let me know if there is anything else you need me to provide.

Charlie

cralford

Mar 24, 2010, 11:30:08 AM3/24/10
to GMarks

Charlie

masta

Mar 25, 2010, 5:39:14 AM3/25/10
to GMarks
Hi,

The error is not reported in Error Console.
However, I found one fact.
I don't encounter this problem after I disabled the extension of
"NoScript".
How about everyone?
Are you using the NoScript?

Thanks,

DeBilbao

Mar 25, 2010, 8:04:15 AM3/25/10
to GMarks
I'm not using NoScript and I'm also experiencing this annoying
behaviour.

Hope that John find a fix. GMarks is the most valuable extension for
me and I use it everyday in many different devices and it's managing
more than 1200 bookmarks.

The only feature I'm missing is the ability to nest the folders in
multiple levels, but I think it's more related with how Google manages
the bookmarks than the way GMarks works, isn't it?

Thanks.

John Marshall

Mar 25, 2010, 11:26:05 AM3/25/10
to gma...@googlegroups.com
The nesting is more of a Google issue, but if you are viewing in GMarks it will let you test. Just put a > in between where the different levels should be in the label, like Videos>Comedy as a label to nest comedy under Videos. You can change the separator in the options window.

Its interesting that NoScript would prevent this from happening... thats very weird.

Hoahoo

Mar 25, 2010, 3:26:05 PM3/25/10
to GMarks
I'm able to consistently reproduce this issue by doing the following

1. Open a bookmark from the gmarks dropdown menu (I tested with my
gmail bookmark)
2. Click on the + to open a new tab in Firefox
3. Try to click on the gmarks dropdown menu and it no longer opens

Tested with XP SP3 and Win7 on Firefox 3.6 and 3.6.2.

masta

Mar 25, 2010, 10:14:03 PM3/25/10
to GMarks
Hi all,

I'm sorry, this problem happened without NoScript today.
NoScript was not related.
And other extensions were not related too.

Hoahoo's method always cause this problem.
There is no problem when open to a new tab by the right-click menu.
Only Ctrl+click cause this problem.

Thanks,

Laurent

Mar 26, 2010, 3:56:44 AM3/26/10
to GMarks
No, there is no message (warning or error or message) in the console.

I think I have found when the bug appears:
it only seems to happen when I open a bookmark that is located in a
*subfolder* of GMarks.
Then if I go back to the GMarks menu, it won't drop down.
But if I click on a bookmark that is at the root of GMarks, then there
is no bug.

Also, the following bug is still unfixed: ;)
When I middle-click on a GMarks subfolder to open all the bookmark in
tabs, it opens *each* bookmark as many times as there are subfolders
at the level of the given bookmark, e.g., if I middle-click on GMarks\a
\b\c\ which contains 1 bookmark, it opens it 3 times.

Thanks for all this work,
Laurent

DeBilbao

Mar 29, 2010, 4:25:02 AM3/29/10
to GMarks
I can reproduce the error consistently using the Hoahoo method. I only
have to select one bookmark from a subfolder and the GMarks menu - or
the renamed Bookmarks menu - become unresponsive.

But, after testing a bit more, I can conclude also that if I right-
click over the bookmark and select open the problem doesn't appears.
It only becomes unresponsive if I just click, not if I right-click and
open, that has become my own workaround until a fix is found.

Thanks in advance,

jw80

Mar 30, 2010, 12:26:28 AM3/30/10
to GMarks
Same here, right clicking anywhere is my work around. Really hope this
gets fixed. Have a few questions for everyone...

1. Does the bug happen for you guys when using the Firefox bookmarks
toolbar or just with the GMarks toolbar? I have to still test this
myself.
2. Does the bug persist even when disabling all other addons
(including Firefox independent ones such as Roboform or AdMuncher).
3. Does GMarks rely on any plugins to function correctly such as Java?
Maybe we need to update Java or some other plugin.
4. Are all of your bookmarks nested in folders as mine are? As Laurent
mentioned it might be this subfolder nesting that is causing the
problem.

John, since you are not experiencing the bug yourself, maybe you could
let us know more about your GMarks setup. Something must be different.

John Marshall

Mar 30, 2010, 9:43:15 AM3/30/10
to gma...@googlegroups.com
I tested it on another computer running windows 7 and I was able to see this issue. Hopefully I'll be able to do some debugging and fix this now. I never had an issue on my mac or in windows xp. I only checked the menu bar as of now though. And no, gmarks does not use java.

niczero

Apr 4, 2010, 7:29:40 AM4/4/10
to GMarks
Hi John,

I see this consistently in XP when using the GMarks menu (either
beside Bookmarks or in place of Bookmarks menu).
It's as if the code thinks that the menu is showing, but it is not.
The insight from DeBilbao is v useful -- right-click on any menu item
and the problem does not appear. (Thanks DeBilbao, that has saved me
from giving up on this add-on.) Also, if a menu item as _no_ tag
whatsoever, the problem also does not appear; it only happens if I
left-click on a menu item that has a tag. (Makes no difference
whether or not the tag is nested.)

It's as if the code thinks that it is showing the menu, but it is
not. I left-click on any item within a folder, the bookmark opens. I
then click on the GMarks menu title; the title is highlighted, but the
menu does not appear. At this point, no amount of clicking on GMarks
will show the menu. However, I then move to a different menu title
(eg View); that menu title also highlights. I click on that menu
title and its menu appears. (If I was now to move to the GMarks menu,
it would still not appear -- as if the code thinks that it is
appearing.) Instead I click on View a second time and its menu
disappears. Now when I move to the GMarks menu the problem has
(temporarily) disappeared; the GMarks menu will operate as normal. So
any time I forget to use the workaround, the problem appears, and the
only solution is to open a different menu, then close that menu, then
return to the GMarks menu. You can see why that's driving folk nuts!

Good luck with the diagnostics. Thanks to your support for nesting (I
use '/' for level separator) you've made this a top-five add-on for
firefox.

Nic

jnuzzi

Apr 5, 2010, 4:20:29 PM4/5/10
to GMarks
I'm running XP with FF 3.6.3 and I experience this every day all day.
It's very frustrating.

One thing to note is that it doesn't happen when I open some websites
from the GMarks menu. Normally, if I open the GMarks menu and click
on a bookmark the bookmark will open and then this issue appears
(can't open GMarks menu). However, some websites (like http://www.ocoee.org/)
open and this issue does not appear (I can open the GMarks menu
fine). This is 100% reproducible on these web sites.

Hope this helps!

Jim

niczero

Apr 6, 2010, 2:04:25 PM4/6/10
to GMarks
I'm afraid this report is plain wrong; it makes no difference which
site
the bookmark is for, only whether the site has a tag and which mouse
button is used. I have just tagged the example site with 'xx/yy' and
lo
the problem is manifest.

On Apr 5, 9:20 pm, jnuzzi <jnu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, some websites (likehttp://www.ocoee.org/)

John Marshall

Apr 14, 2010, 5:16:51 PM4/14/10
to gma...@googlegroups.com
Does this version fix the problem for you?
gmarks-1.0.3b.xpi

jw80

Apr 14, 2010, 6:14:02 PM4/14/10
to GMarks
Yay, GMarks 1.0.3b you posted fixes the problem for me! Thanks much
for the update John :D

On Apr 14, 5:16 pm, John Marshall <johnm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does this version fix the problem for you?
>

>  gmarks-1.0.3b.xpi
> 238KViewDownload

DeBilbao

Apr 14, 2010, 6:17:59 PM4/14/10
to GMarks
One more positive feedback here.

Thank you very much John!

Smee

Apr 14, 2010, 9:11:19 PM4/14/10
to GMarks
Seems to be working for me. Thanks!

Smee

On Apr 14, 5:16 pm, John Marshall <johnm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does this version fix the problem for you?
>

>  gmarks-1.0.3b.xpi
> 238KViewDownload

merlinux

Apr 15, 2010, 9:41:11 AM4/15/10
to GMarks
Works for me too. Thank you so much! I'll send a few extra $$ :)

On Apr 14, 5:16 pm, John Marshall <johnm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does this version fix the problem for you?
>

>  gmarks-1.0.3b.xpi
> 238KViewDownload

Steve

Apr 15, 2010, 3:07:59 PM4/15/10
to GMarks
Great John - working fine with FF3.63 on Windows 7 too. What did you
have to change?

Steve

John Marshall

Apr 15, 2010, 3:35:55 PM4/15/10
to gma...@googlegroups.com
Previously the popups wouldn't close correctly so I added a hidePopup call. That probably wasnt the best fix but it worked at the time. In 3.6 that was not needed and actually making it not show up at all.

niczero

Apr 19, 2010, 3:21:28 AM4/19/10
to GMarks
Yes, that completely solves the issue for me.
And somehow you've even made the menu responsive when ff is busy
Nic

On Apr 14, 10:16 pm, John Marshall <johnm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does this version fix the problem for you?

Laurent

Apr 23, 2010, 6:00:37 AM4/23/10
to GMarks
Bug fixed, thanks a lot! Very appreciated.

Could you have a look at the other issue I was mentioning earlier?

Thanks again,
Laurent