"Resend" has disappeared...

Mads

Jan 7, 2010, 3:32:40 PM1/7/10
to Gmail-Users
Until a few months ago, there was an option to "resend" an email under
the options/contextual menu (invoked from the triangle in the top
right of the email div) which would create an editable copy of your
sent email, complete with all header fields filled in with original
recipients etc. As of recently, that function has disappeared. And no
amount of googling I have done reveals anyone complaining about it.

That is, until now!

I really, really, REALLY miss that feature.

- Every time I forgot to cc someone, I could easily create a copy and
resend the same msg.
- Every time I create elaborate html travelogues with embedded
pictures, and want to forward it the next day to someone outside my
regular recipient list I dont want ANY of the content touched or
indented, or the subject prefixed with "Fwd:", I simply want a
straight copy...

Does anyone feel the same?

Mads

tabinat0r

Jan 7, 2010, 7:38:14 PM1/7/10
to Gmail-Users
Go to sent messages. Hit reply. Change the subject back to what it was
originally. (ie. take away the "re:") I just tried it myself. It works
fine.

Alan Schneider

Jan 7, 2010, 8:41:19 PM1/7/10
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I never knew the feature to resend was ever a part of Gmail but I definitely would like it to be.

Mads

Jan 8, 2010, 10:53:18 AM1/8/10
to Gmail-Users
@tabinat0r:

I assume you mean either "forward" (which will preserve the body but
append headre info from the original message) or "reply all" (which
will duplicate the to/cc/bcc header fields)... Neither are optimal, as
you still need to either delete cruft from the body and copy the
header fields, or remove both cruft and indentation as well as re-
include any attachments.

Also, I believe any editing, even simply removing auto-prefixes from
the subject field will place the message in a new thread...

Mads

Mads

Jan 8, 2010, 10:55:40 AM1/8/10
to Gmail-Users
@Alan Schneider:

It was a pretty well hidden feature, only shown on your own sent
messages, as one of the last items in the top-right pop-up.

Mads

On Jan 8, 2:41 am, Alan Schneider <alschn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I never knew the feature to resend was ever a part of Gmail but I definitely
> would like it to be.
>

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Mads <mads.ryd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Until a few months ago, there was an option to "resend" an email under
> > the options/contextual menu (invoked from the triangle in the top
> > right of the email div) which would create an editable copy of your
> > sent email, complete with all header fields filled in with original
> > recipients etc. As of recently, that function has disappeared. And no
> > amount of googling I have done reveals anyone complaining about it.
>
> > That is, until now!
>
> > I really, really, REALLY miss that feature.
>
> > - Every time I forgot to cc someone, I could easily create a copy and
> > resend the same msg.
> > - Every time I create elaborate html travelogues with embedded
> > pictures, and want to forward it the next day to someone outside my
> > regular recipient list I dont want ANY of the content touched or
> > indented, or the subject prefixed with "Fwd:", I simply want a
> > straight copy...
>
> > Does anyone feel the same?
>
> > Mads
>
> > --

> > gmail-users...@googlegroups.com<gmail-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Zack (Doc)

Jan 8, 2010, 12:54:38 PM1/8/10
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps you were unknowingly part of a test bed for that command.  I know they pulled the Beta tag off, but it doesn't feel any different.  I would not be surprised if they're still trying new things on small groups of users from time to time to see how they're received/used/work.

Bill Cosby  - "Human beings are the only creatures that allow their children to come back home."

Alan Schneider

Jan 8, 2010, 1:07:42 PM1/8/10
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Ahhh.... Ok.  Thanks.

Naiem Ayoub

Jan 9, 2010, 4:39:40 AM1/9/10
to gmail-users
to "Mads"

 i didn't know about this feature before, although am a fairly old user but am not a heavy user for Gmail..
however i understood the difference & i would like to have it as well.
 There is a similar command in outlook, but that was after recalling a sent message & it gives you a straight copy even attachment as you mentioned, & they used to call it "Resend" too.

... so do anybody know a way to deliver suggestions about these or other features to Gmail team

(even if it was a test feature on a small test group, we need it & they can at least place it at "Labs" to make it optional)

cheers to all

2010/1/8 Alan Schneider <alsc...@gmail.com>
B05.gif

Zack (Doc)

Jan 9, 2010, 12:10:26 PM1/9/10
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Yes.. use the Suggestion page.  You find it referenced in this group often.  When GMail was Beta, the purists (yes I'm one) would say it's a requirement of a Beta tester to know where it is; but since it's no longer Beta, that argument doesn't hold water.

It's right on the Help page (click the link at the top right)... the Suggest a Feature is the last link on the right (on my US English page; might be elsewhere in other languages).
Woody Allen  - "My one regret in life is that I am not someone else."
B05.gif