my "Gmail This" bookmarklet stopped working today

Jase

Jan 11, 2008, 2:27:35 PM1/11/08
to GMail Power Users
Hi all,

I make heavy use of a JavaScript bookmarklet which has been on the web
for some time now, known as "GMail This." When clicked, it opens a
popup window to compose a message whose body contains the current URL,
and optionally any selected text.

Today, it no longer works for me. The popup window to GMail (compose
message) opens, then hangs, blank except for a "Loading..." message.
The script fails on two different machines: Windows at work and OS X
at home, both using Firefox.

I thought perhaps the underlying parameters that GMail uses changed.
Does anyone else use this script, and have the same problem (or a
fix)?

There are variations of this script floating around the web; so at the
end of this message is the JavaScript one-liner I am using, for
reference. Thanks for any thoughts.

--Jason

javascript:popw='';Q='';x=document;y=window;if(x.selection)
{Q=x.selection.createRange().text;} else if (y.getSelection)
{Q=y.getSelection();} else if (x.getSelection)
{Q=x.getSelection();}popw = y.open(' https://mail.google.com/mail?view=cm&tf=0&to=&su='
+ escape(document.title) + '&body=' + escape(Q) + escape('\n') +
escape(location.href),'gmailForm','scrollbars=yes,width=680,height=510,top=175,left=75,status=no,resizable=yes');if
(!document.all) T = setTimeout(' popw.focus()',50);void(0);

Jeff Kinzli

Jan 11, 2008, 2:31:55 PM1/11/08
to gmail-po...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I see the same thing happeneing, and there's another one that I
use called "Email This" and it is busted in the same way, as of today.

Jeff

Amanda

Jan 12, 2008, 12:58:16 PM1/12/08
to GMail Power Users
yep. i use gmail notifier for the same purpose. it's actually produced
and supported by google, but it's not working to send links either (so
it can't be a compatibility issue, right?). for a few minutes
yesterday my gmail account was unable to send or even save drafts, for
that matter. i'll bet these things are related. can't imagine they'll
let it go unfixed for long. (cross fingers.)

On Jan 11, 12:31 pm, "Jeff Kinzli" <kin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I see the same thing happeneing, and there's another one that I
> use called "Email This" and it is busted in the same way, as of today.
>
> Jeff

Josh McHugh

Jan 13, 2008, 6:28:34 PM1/13/08
to GMail Power Users
Noticed the same thing on Jan 11. Still not working as of Jan 13.
C'mon the Goog - un-bust the bookmarklets!

J--

Jan 13, 2008, 10:40:15 PM1/13/08
to GMail Power Users
Using Google Notifier on Mac OS X 10.4.10 and I am having the same
problem. Whenever I use the contextual menu to send link it gets to a

Kaizen

Jan 14, 2008, 2:25:32 PM1/14/08
to GMail Power Users
I'm having the same issue. This is driving me crazy. I didn't realize
how much I relied upon this bookmarklet!

kleefaj

Jan 15, 2008, 11:33:39 PM1/15/08
to GMail Power Users

On Jan 11, 2:27 pm, Jase <jason.kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I make heavy use of a JavaScript bookmarklet which has been on the web
> for some time now, known as "GMail This." When clicked, it opens a
> popup window to compose a message whose body contains the current URL,
> and optionally any selected text.

No word yet on why this stopped working, eh?

Following is the bookmarklet I use (got it from About.com). It's been
working perfectly until a few days ago. Wow, I miss this feature!!!

javascript:(function()
{m='http://mail.google.com/mail/?
view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=&su='+encodeURIComponent(document.title)
+'&body='+encodeURIComponent(document.location);
w=window.open(m,'addwindow','status=no,toolbar=no,width=575,height=545,resizable=yes');
setTimeout(function(){w.focus();},%20250);})();

dan....@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2008, 2:30:07 PM1/17/08
to GMail Power Users
A fix that works for me on FF is posted here:

http://contrapants.org/blog/2005/07/gmailthis.html

bookmarklet is right under heading "Big, Important News"..

whew! best,
/dan

Jason Karney

Jan 17, 2008, 2:46:15 PM1/17/08
to gmail-po...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

Thanks for sharing this!

--Jason

kleefaj

Jan 18, 2008, 9:43:17 AM1/18/08
to GMail Power Users
Hurray!!

Thanks, Dan.

On Jan 17, 2:46 pm, "Jason Karney" <jason.kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Thanks for sharing this!
>
> --Jason

Kaizen

Jan 18, 2008, 11:45:49 AM1/18/08
to GMail Power Users
Jason-
That is exactly what i wanted! FIXED! You rock man, I searched
everywhere and I couldn't find anything that worked.

Thanks again!

-Jeremy

On Jan 17, 12:46 pm, "Jason Karney" <jason.kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Thanks for sharing this!
>
> --Jason

Jason Karney

Jan 18, 2008, 12:06:07 PM1/18/08
to gmail-po...@googlegroups.com
That was Dan who fixed it -- I was just the first person to raise the issue with this list. :)

I'm glad to have it too, it was so tedious going to GMail and copy/pasting everything instead of using this bookmarklet. Ah, Googlife is good again.

--Jason

Fission

Jan 19, 2008, 4:00:03 PM1/19/08
to GMail Power Users
I hadn't known this was possible before seeing this thread. Very nice!

Does anyone know how I would modify the bookmarklet to work with a
hosted domain, instead of standard gmail?

Jeff

On Jan 18, 10:06 am, "Jason Karney" <jason.kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That was Dan who fixed it -- I was just the first person to raise the issue
> with this list. :)
>
> I'm glad to have it too, it was so tedious going to GMail and copy/pasting
> everything instead of using this bookmarklet. Ah, Googlife is good again.
>
> --Jason

Amanda

Jan 20, 2008, 12:09:44 PM1/20/08
to GMail Power Users
i agree this is a good workaround even for those of us who used a
different widget (google notifier) previously, but it doesn't take
care of the perma-"loading" hangup you get upon clicking a mail-to
link (assuming you have gmail set up to handle mail-to links). any
ideas (group)?

On Jan 18, 10:06 am, "Jason Karney" <jason.kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That was Dan who fixed it -- I was just the first person to raise the issue
> with this list. :)
>
> I'm glad to have it too, it was so tedious going to GMail and copy/pasting
> everything instead of using this bookmarklet. Ah, Googlife is good again.
>
> --Jason

Rob Wilkerson

Jan 22, 2008, 8:15:00 AM1/22/08
to GMail Power Users

On Jan 19, 4:00 pm, Fission <loa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I hadn't known this was possible before seeing this thread. Very nice!
>
> Does anyone know how I would modify the bookmarklet to work with a
> hosted domain, instead of standard gmail?

A quick modification seems to work for me:

javascript:popw='';Q='';x=document;y=window;if(x.selection)
{Q=x.selection.createRange().text;} else if (y.getSelection)
{Q=y.getSelection();} else if (x.getSelection)
{Q=x.getSelection();}popw = y.open('https://mail.google.com/a/
[MYDOMAIN.COM]/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=&su=' + escape(document.title) +
'&body=' + escape(Q) + escape('\n') + escape(location.href) +
'&zx=RANDOMCRAP&shva=1&disablechatbrowsercheck=1&ui=1','gmailForm','scrollbars=yes,width=680,height=510,top=175,left=75,status=no,resizable=yes');if
(!document.all) T = setTimeout('popw.focus()',50);void(0);

Note the URI change. You'll have to replace "[MYDOMAIN.COM]" with
your actual domain, but that seems to be working for me (though
testing has not been, um, thorough). :-)

Fission

Jan 23, 2008, 9:42:32 AM1/23/08
to GMail Power Users
Well done Rob! Thanks for that. Seems obvious in retrospect.

Seems to be working for me too!

Jeff