Best for just high index lenses, no frames?

dw

Jan 28, 2012, 1:37:04 PM1/28/12
to GlassyEyes.com Forums - Visit the site!
I've used a number of the Glassy Eyes-approved places for years for my
glasses. But I haven't been too enthused by the frames I've seen
lately, so I'm considering buying a pair of frames I like (that I know
will fit) and getting the lenses done.

Because of my prescription (-6 with astigmatism) I'm locked into high
index. I'd like to find a place that I can send my frames to and will
do high index well at a less-than-insane price. Open to any
suggestions.

dw

Paul

Feb 27, 2013, 1:14:32 AM2/27/13
to glass...@googlegroups.com
Do you want a pretty large lens? Then I suppose you'd want high index. If you get a smallish lens, you can get away with using CR-39.

I have a prescription worse than -6.00, and with a 40-45 mm lens, I have no trouble with CR-39 or the standard lens material used by Zenni or Goggles4U.

I once got a pair relensed by Wohl Optics (near Philadelphia), and I was pretty happy with their work on a frame that was somewhat difficult to get the shape right. I checked their prices for higher index material, and it was pretty moderate - $40 for single vision 1.6 and $65 for 1.66. You might want to ask them first what material they use - http://www.wohloptics.com