Discussion on 39-dollar-eyeglasses

lightenupfrancis

Feb 28, 2008, 10:19:59 PM2/28/08
to GlassyEyes
I received my glasses in 5 business days. I am very pleased so far and
the price was fantastic.

Indros

Mar 3, 2008, 12:59:51 PM3/3/08
to GlassyEyes
In early January, I sent my own frame to 39dollarglasses to have
lenses done and the experience has been unfortunate. It's been almost
2 months and I still do not have glasses that work. I had to send
them back once because of a lens error and then they apparently lost
track of them and had to be reminded I was still waiting to get them
back. I still have hope it will end well, but I'm not very pleased
with the overall level of service.
-JFF

Detailed notes below:

Jan 25 - got the glasses and realized immediately that something was
wrong. Turns out the prescription for the left lens was incorrect.

Jan 29 - contacted customer service and got a pre-paid label for
return mailing the glasses.

Feb 8 - got an email indicating that the glasses had been received and
that I would get them back within 7-10 business days. I emailed back
to ask if the left lens was going to be fixed, but received no
response.

Feb 26 - called about the still-not-received glasses and was told that
they will "ship by Friday (2/29) with upgraded shipping.

Mar 3 - still waiting

Ira Mitchell

Mar 3, 2008, 1:19:21 PM3/3/08
to GlassyEyes
If they shipped Friday, like you say they told you, they should be
there today or tomorrow.

Please let me know if they aren't. I can get in touch with someone.

- Ira

Indros

Mar 4, 2008, 9:50:51 AM3/4/08
to GlassyEyes
Glasses arrived yesterday. Prescription is correct, but they left off
the AR coating on the corrected lens. Can't believe the level of
incompetence! Sent an email to customer service this morning.

On Mar 3, 12:19 pm, Ira Mitchell <ropad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If they shipped Friday, like you say they told you, they should be
> there today or tomorrow.
>
> Please let me know if they aren't. I can get in touch with someone.
>
> - Ira

bixmaschine

Mar 23, 2008, 11:57:13 PM3/23/08
to GlassyEyes
Ordered my glasses on a Wednesday, they arrived in my mail in
California on a Saturday! The prescription is perfect, and they wear
and look just as great as any pair I've ever gotten from a vision
center or eye doctor. This was my first time ordering glasses online.
With so many other bad experiences buying things online, I was
doubting that buying glasses online would work out well. I'm very
impressed and I definitely recommend 39 Dollar Glasses. I will likely
purchase through them the next time I'm looking for glasses.

Calliopi

Mar 25, 2008, 11:44:56 AM3/25/08
to GlassyEyes

I ordered sunglasses last Monday. I chose 39 Dollar Glasses because
the feedback and reviews looked generally positive, though their price
was not the lowest and the sunglass selection was not the greatest. I
was concerned because I wanted both progressive and polarized lenses
so I had to go with a larger lens size than I wanted. Total was about
$135. The glasses arrived Friday and I'm very happy with them. They
look good and function well in and out of the sun. My regular
(progressive) glasses were $400 and my husband's sunglasses (distance
only) were $450. We waited weeks for those glasses to arrive, too.
I'll never fall for that again! Now if I can only stare into my
monitor and get my eyes checked online...

jfletch

Apr 1, 2008, 12:41:14 AM4/1/08
to GlassyEyes
I have had a very bad experience with 39 Dollar Glasses.
My first pair (reading glasses) went without a hitch: fast, perfect
prescription, love the glasses. SO, I thought I'd order another with
my full (bifocal) prescription. IT TOOK A MONTH TO GET THEM. I left at
least half a dozen messages on their website requesting information
about when my order was to be delivered. I got two answers and then
they stopped answering. I called at least another 6 times and I got
several answers, each more incorrect than the last. I was given no
less than 5 delivery dates. I was told TWICE that they had shipped,
when they had not. I was told that they were upgrading my shipping to
second day and then later to next day. I was told that they had been
shipped next day, repeatedly. Only when I called them back and
informed them that they had finally arrived via USPS did they admit
that, yes, "someone made a mistake." And the FINAL insult that adds
another nail in their coffin for me is that the I-don't-care-I'm-just-
doing-this-to-make-a-little-money girl on the phone promised me a $20
refund for the shipping problem. She said she did it while we were
talking. 5 days later the refund has yet to show up on the account she
supposedly credited. Lets see if this message stays on this site since
the site obviously makes affiliate income from their number one
recommendation. The whole experience soured me to online glasses.
During this time I got a pair of glasses for my daughter at a local
optical shop. It cost about 3 times what 39DG would have charged for
the same prescription, but the frames were better and I placed the
order at 6:00 pm one day and picked them up the next morning at 9:00,
and were fitted by a guy who knew exactly how to do it. 39 Dollar
Glasses FAILED to serve me. I repeatedly begged them to do a better
job and the last person I talked to wouldn't let me talk to her
supervisor and refused to act like she cared. And I'm pretty sure she
lied to me, just like all the other employees of 39 Dollar Glasses
that I talked to. Sad. I was going to order two more pairs of glasses
from them. Not now even if they were free.

Ira (glassyeyes.com)

Apr 1, 2008, 1:55:25 AM4/1/08
to GlassyEyes
@jfletch,

First off, welcome to the glassyeyes forums. Secondly, I'm really
sorry to hear that you had trouble with 39$. There are a wide array of
experiences with each of the retailers I list on the site. The
overwhelming majority of people have had positive experiences and it's
one of my goals to help make that percentage of satisfied shoppers
even higher. I've tossed my hat in the ring to assist in situations
like these on numerous occasions (the latest:
http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/2008/02/people-please-let-me-help.html)
and helped straighten out dozens of situations as distressing (or more
so) as yours with 39$ and nearly every one of the other sites
mentioned in the forums.

You're obviously new around here and I'll cut you a bit of slack for
it, but questioning my objectivity and motives, even buried deep
inside a post, isn't fair. It wouldn't have taken more than a minute
or two of browsing for you to see that these forums aren't a squeaky-
clean, love-fest of folks blowing rainbows out of their butts.

I'd be more than happy to get your information to my contact at 39$. I
think it's important that he hears your story. He's in a position to
make changes so it doesn't sour the online eyeglasses out of the next
guy.

Please forward me your order information or name and I promise I'll
get it to someone who will care.

Thanks,

Ira
http://glassyeyes.com

Nick....@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2008, 9:54:27 AM4/15/08
to GlassyEyes
Won't use them again. Had one very bad experience and one
acceptable. Ordered three pair of glasses. All shipped several weeks
later than promised. Email queries were ignored. If you need to
contact them call. One pair was incorrect on arrival. We were asked
to return them and promised that they would be fixed and returned with
in the week. That was TWO MONTHS ago. We have been told "we shipped
them today" three different times. We asked for refund of that pair
and that never occurred. Last week we contacted our credit card
company to have the charge removed. Voila. Today I received a
shipping notice from DHL that they had shipped.

The two pair that we did get (late) are acceptable. But, never again.

IMQ

Apr 15, 2008, 10:26:23 PM4/15/08
to GlassyEyes
I have a couple frames that I want to re-lens. I haven't found that
many online stores that do lens replacement for a reasonable fee.
Local chain stores are just to expensive.

39DG does lens replacement, but the feedbacks here do not make me feel
confident enough to give them a shot. Your post of not-so-good
experience only makes them even less of an option.

Since I am not in a hurry. I think I keep looking.

Thanks for letting us know what it was like for you.

Tony H

Apr 30, 2008, 2:25:15 AM4/30/08
to GlassyEyes
Just got my glasses not less than an hour ago, and I'm so pleased I
felt the first thing I should do is reply to this post where I was
first inspired to order my glasses.

I was hesitant to order from 39dollarglasses because:
a) the idea of buying glasses online scared me between the
possibilities of getting the prescription wrong, providing a low
quality product or not being able to try them on, and
b) 39dollarglasses didn't have that nifty upload-your-image-to-
virtually-try-on-your-glasses gadget that some of the other sites had.

I finally convinced myself to make the plunge thinking if they didn't
turn out right, they could always just be a backup pair. $40.05 and
not even one week later (even by regular first-class USPS), I am one
happy camper. These glasses feel great, they look terrific, and the
prescription is perfect.

I just saved myself hundreds of dollars, and I will certainly be
ordering another pair soon from 39dollarglasses.com.

Just fyi, I went with the black Trentos, found here:
http://www.39dollarglasses.com/3524_BlackCrystal.html. And just as a
disclaimer, I am not a 39dollarsglasses employee - I live in Ohio...

Thanks, Glassy Eyes (a.k.a. Ira), for pointing me in the right
direction and saving me a few bucks with your discount. I wish the
rest of the internet was as helpful.

warren.k...@gmail.com

May 5, 2008, 10:51:45 AM5/5/08
to GlassyEyes
I purchased glasses from 39 Dollar Glasses two months ago after seeing
this site and getting very excited about some of the experiences I
read about. When I got them they had issues. The most important was
the rolling of my vision when looking off center. I called 39 Dollar
Glasses and spoke to a customer service rep that did not seem to care
much. I got a standard speech and a promise that both an email and a
return authorization package would be sent. She said that they would
have to inspect the glasses and no promises would be made at that
time. I waited and waited and nothing happened. Not to bore everyone
but it has been over two months now and I have nothing more than a
pair of glasses with special effects vision.

garyd...@bellsouth.net

May 9, 2008, 2:12:40 PM5/9/08
to GlassyEyes
Seeing the good reputation, I thought I'ed giv 39$ a try and filled
out the order and in about 6 days my glasses arrived. I could see
better overall but could not read so I took the glasses to my Dr. to
see if it's the glasses or the exam. Turned out to be the exam so 39$
replaced the lense for no charge. But the replacement was not
smooth. They first needed the new percription then they had a problem
with the ADD being different in each eye. Apparently both eyes usuall
have the same ADD. I contacted 39$ in a week to see when the new
glasses with the new revised perscription were to be shipped. They
told me they were still on hold because of the ADD being different on
each eye and wanted me to contact my Dr. to verify......Any way to
make this shorter... after I finally confirmed the information and
finding my DR. had made the mistake, I contacted 39$ and let them know
but They told me they had already shipped them 5 days ago.
Would I buy from 39$ again? only if I was sure of the perscription
such as a 2nd pair or glasses. They are a pretty good company with
some communication problems. They have excellent prices but if you
have a difficult perscription or need extra light lenses or high index
you are better off paying your local optomist the extra $3-400 and get
some glasses you can actually see with.

llseenm

May 31, 2008, 2:49:48 AM5/31/08
to GlassyEyes
I was very leery about ordering eye glasses online. After agonizing
about it for a couple of months, I finally decided to place an order
with 39 Dollar glasses last month (April 2008). I wear progressive no-
line bifocals. In my city (Las Cruces, NM), I was unable to find a
pair for less than $250. I ordered from 39 Dollar Glasses, and the
price (with 10% discount courtesy of Glassy Eyes) was $102. I have had
problems with progressives not being 'quite right' in the past, so I
was apprehensive. Eight days later, my glasses arrived in the mail.
They are great. The glasses fit well, and the progressives are
correct. They are very comfortable.

I have recommended 39 Dollar glasses to all of my spectacle wearing
friends. And, at my age, most of my friends wear glasses.

Paul

May 31, 2008, 10:35:37 PM5/31/08
to GlassyEyes
It's too bad they don't offer CR-39 for single vision clear lenses.

brad54

Jun 27, 2008, 8:51:18 PM6/27/08
to GlassyEyes
I have bought several pairs from this outfit. In the beginning I was
more then happy with them. My last order was July 2007. I had a trip
planned for the last of July. I ordered my glasses in plenty of time
and also paid for air delivery. I never received my eye glasses. I
contacted 39 dollar glasses along with DHL. In the end I had to file
an affidavit with DHL and 39$glasses, before 39$ glasses would send me
another pair. When I spoke to a representative of 39$ glasses they
assured me they would get my glasses to me before I left. Never
happened, didn't get my glasses. The customer service is lacking, no
one there knows what is going on. I contacted them several times
before I left on my trip trying to find out about my replacement pair
and never got a straight answer. When I finally received my glasses,
they looked like they had been thrown together. The nose pieces were
bent in a funny position and one of the ear pieces was loose. I wore
them for about 2 weeks and one of the nose pads screws came loose. The
screw had fallen out.
I am in the market for a new pair of glasses and found this site. I
sure will not use 39 dollar glasses again. Too bad for them as
everyone in my family wears glasses.

theblvd

Jul 1, 2008, 10:20:31 AM7/1/08
to GlassyEyes
All of the glasses frames seem much narrower than what you'd find in a
store (by 5-10 mm), which can make you look like a racoon sometimes.
We had a problem with the quality of one frame twice, the first time
the frame was bent and had chipped paint, and the other time the lens
was very scratched on arrival. They were quick to replace the frame
the first time, the second time the return label took awhile, but did
eventually arrive. We're waiting on the third version now.

This is probably the most expensive of the stores listed here. $39 is
the base price, and they charge much more than the others ($25) for
the anti-reflective coat, so it's really more like $65 dollar glasses.
Compare that to Zenni's $20 comparable frames all in, with which I've
had very good luck with twice.

I probably wouldn't order here again because of the price and with the
quality and styles similar to stores at less than a third the price.

brad54

Jul 16, 2008, 5:40:54 PM7/16/08
to GlassyEyes
Hey what happened to my negative review of this company that was
posted about a month or so ago?

powrwrap

Jul 16, 2008, 5:46:29 PM7/16/08
to GlassyEyes

On Jul 16, 4:40 pm, brad54 <highdeserthi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey what happened to my negative review of this company that was
> posted about a month or so ago?

Is this it?

http://groups.google.com/group/glassyeyes/msg/8df57b6713786a70?hl=en

brad54

Jul 22, 2008, 2:58:17 PM7/22/08
to GlassyEyes

Yeah that was it. I am new to this forum and I didn't realize that the
posts don't show up on the company pages. Thanks.

gen

Jul 22, 2008, 9:31:39 PM7/22/08
to GlassyEyes
I ordered 1 pair of glasses with the Transitions / polarized coating.
The quality of the glasses looks decent. I'm skeptical of the quality
of the coating but will reserve judgment. They were supposed to change
color from yellow all the way through dark orange but I didn't notice
much color change going from indoors to bright sunlight. The shipping
time was horrible - they arrived in 23 days. I would probably still
recommend their glasses, but maybe avoid the expensive coating. YMMV.

ErikaP

Oct 18, 2008, 6:07:14 PM10/18/08
to GlassyEyes
Read an article on Slate.com about how buying glasses online was not
as ridiculous as it sounded, so I thought I'd try it...I went to the
eye doctor for my new prescription, and while I was there, I picked
out some frames and had them give me a price quote. With all the
options (anti-scratch, anti-glare, etc.), my new glasses were going to
be $427.00. I went to 39DollarGlasses.com and ordered THE SAME PAIR
for $90.00 (after getting 10% off by using the link from GlassyEyes).
My new glasses are GREAT--fit perfectly without even needing
adjustment, perfect in terms of prescription, received within 7 days.
I am recommending 30DollarGlasses.com to everyone I know...

deb

Oct 19, 2008, 10:56:30 AM10/19/08
to GlassyEyes

I have a new "backup" pair on order from them. I'll let everyone know
how it went. I opted for the thicker and *cheaper* polycarb lenses so
I could say I got a pair for 60$. I have never gotten even a backup
pair for so little! The frugal circuits in my brain were so very
happy. As long as the RX is correct, I will be a very happy camper.
My last pair from WalMart were over 300$.

The frame I picked out is really small tho, so I felt it wouldn't be a
huge difference from the thinner materials even at my high
prescription.

deb orf

Nov 3, 2008, 6:08:44 PM11/3/08
to GlassyEyes
Update: OMG! I love these glasses. They are similar in quality to my
300$ ones from Wally World.

I got a pair of glasses w/my -10 lenses for 64 bucks rounded up. I
had to wait a bit longer than the specified in the original order
email but, hey for cheap I can wait.

I will be doing this again. Now I want some prescription *sunglasses*
that I've never been able to get because they were pretty cost
prohibitive.