Any chance we can get this ported to Mac and Windows?

Shannon VanWagner

Dec 28, 2008, 10:34:01 PM12/28/08
to Giver Project, calv...@gmail.com
The giver is a great app. I use it on all my GNU/Linux machines at
home and it rocks! Thanks!

I also "dugg" the giver article on digg.com at:
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Simple_Desktop_File_Sharing_with_Giver

So it seems that some people are disappointed because giver is
available only for GNU/linux. Me, I could care less, but I think it's
a valid point that some other OSes would want to share in the Giver
goodness.

I see in the INSTALL file it mentions something about compiling under
a different OS, but I guess I'm just not slick enough(yet) to build it
for Windows or MAC.

So what do you think?

Thanks anyway even if you think it's a bad idea. Giver rocks on GNU/
Linux anyway!!

Sincerely,

Shannon VanWagner
shannon....@gmail.com
http://healthysystem.blogspot.com
http://digg.com/users/bicep

exactiv

Jan 13, 2009, 11:55:20 AM1/13/09
to Giver Project
I would second that. We use a mixed linux windows network in my
workplace and a Windows port for this would be really useful to us.

Regards,

-ex

On Dec 29 2008, 3:34 am, Shannon VanWagner
> shannon.vanwag...@gmail.comhttp://healthysystem.blogspot.comhttp://digg.com/users/bicep

Johnny Jacob

Jan 13, 2009, 2:46:48 PM1/13/09
to giver...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 08:55 -0800, exactiv wrote:
> I would second that. We use a mixed linux windows network in my
> workplace and a Windows port for this would be really useful to us.

Ankit did a port to windows sometime back. I've asked him to share his
work here. Would be good to have it :)

Aqeel Zafar (aqeeliz)

Jan 17, 2009, 6:20:47 AM1/17/09
to Giver Project
Johnny, Any updates from Ankit?

ankit

Jan 18, 2009, 6:29:56 PM1/18/09
to Giver Project
I had worked on the port more than a year back and it was more a local
(hacky) port. But I'm doing it again and its almost done. I'll post
the patches
in the next few days.

The only question that i have is - what should be done
about notifications? Currently, giver uses notify-sharp, which
(AFAICS)
doesn't work on windows (dbus?). So, the hacky way that i had used
earlier
was simply - gtk message dialog. Proper solutions might be - snarl or
growl.
I haven't really looked at them yet though. Any suggestions?

-Ankit

On Jan 17, 4:20 pm, "Aqeel Zafar (aqeeliz)" <goodsp...@gmail.com>

Aqeel Zafar (aqeeliz)

Jan 18, 2009, 9:06:22 PM1/18/09
to Giver Project
As far as I know about OS X, it seems pretty much all applications use
growl for all notifications so, that would be good for mac. I am not
really sure about windows though, as snarl is not present by default,
I think the best option would be to use snarl if it is present,
otherwise just show gtk message dialog.

BTW I just took a quick look at snarl's api, it doesn't seem you can
add buttons to it (like accept and decline), and as it is inspired by
growl, it may not allow that either. So, unless you find a way around
it, I think I will just be happy with gtk message dialog.

- Aqeel