New this week

Johan Sørensen

Mar 4, 2008, 5:20:59 AM3/4/08
to gito...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

I'm going to keep sending these out :) at least until I get some kind
of official site-new thing going on gitorious.org. So this week
there's a couple of nice things, and something that causes me a
headache.

Important fixes:
* Fixed part of commit message gone missing
* Fixed blob caching
* HTML is stripped from project listing pages (thanks krawek)
* SSH keys are now wrapped properly in the UI, and the validations
accept a wider range of key comment
* tag list is normalized before saving it (krawek)

New stuff:
* Your repository clones of projects you don't "own" is displayed in
the dashboard (krawek)
* HTTP mirroring of repository cloning, useful if you're behind a firewall
* Merge Requests - repository<=>repository notification of a wish to merge
See http://gitorious.org/projects/couchobject/repos/mainline/merge_requests
as an example. Clicking on the review button also allows you to see a
list of the commits that would be merged, and set a status on the
request. I want to add ways of giving feedback on the request (maybe
vote up/down, or just comments).

This is really the initial steps of what's planned for gitorious, and
it's important to note that these things are public to the
"community", not person to person, but repository to repository. The
whole point of Gitorious is to aid in help you build some kind of
community around your project, and the only that can happen is if
everyone share a common goal (the "project") and don't live in their
own fractured little sandbox.

There's also the beginning of a hacking guide, if you want to
contribute to gitorious:
http://gitorious.org/projects/gitorious/repos/mainline/blob/master/HACKING

We have an irc channel on irc.freenode.net in #gitorious, stop by if
you run into trouble or just want talk.

Now for the bad news part. Our git-daemon is not behaving perfectly,
after updating the linux distro that runs the site, there seems to be
some issues with the underlying libraries. If futex locks, xen and
glibc compatibility issues aren't strange words to you, then do speak
up. I haven't been able to figure out which library is the offending
one, and downgrading parts of them doesn't seem to help.
I've been able to put some crutches on git-daemon to make it go by,
but it seems it's causing some people issues?

Cheers,
JS

aslak hellesoy

Mar 4, 2008, 7:45:30 AM3/4/08
to gito...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Johan Sørensen <jo...@johansorensen.com> wrote:

> Greetings,

Are passwords still sent in cleartext in mails?

Johan Sørensen

Mar 4, 2008, 7:58:11 AM3/4/08
to gito...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 1:45 PM, aslak hellesoy <aslak.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Johan Sørensen <jo...@johansorensen.com> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >

> Are passwords still sent in cleartext in mails?

Not anymore (that's what I get for forgetting about plugin defaults).
I'll get the login+account page on SSL aswell.

JS

Tim Harper

Mar 4, 2008, 12:33:07 PM3/4/08
to gito...@googlegroups.com
Johan,

This is exciting! Thanks for these new features, you rock! I sure
appreciate everything you have done to make gitorious more "community"
friendly. It's been a great home to the Git textmate bundle and is
establishing it's roots well there.

I wish I could help you with the kernel lock issues... unfortunately I
have a feeling that the majority of the people who subscribe to this
mailing list do so because they have an issue to report, generally
without a solution :( I have heard that locks were a problem with
xen, but never have understood the full meaning of it. I've only set
up one xen server... and did so with relatively little trouble.

I'll report any funkiness I see

Thanks!

Tim