[ANNOUNCE] Brand new improved gitorious.org!

Johan Sørensen

May 9, 2009, 8:53:36 AM5/9/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
Everyone,

I got some exciting news for you. The first part of these are already
available today!

But, first, please note that we had to change our public SSH key
fingerprint. The fingerprint is now
7e:af:8d:ec:f0:39:5e:ba:52:16:ce:19:fa:d4:b8:7d and the IP of the
frontend server is 87.238.52.168. Easiest way to deal with this is to
delete gitorious.org from your ~/.ssh/known_hosts and reaccept the
connection when you push (please do double-check that that
fingerprints are correct though)

Please take a look at a much improved http://gitorious.org and read a
more detailed overview of some of all the new things available at
http://blog.gitorious.org.

I'm also happy to tell you that Gitorious and Gitorious.org is now
officially Shortcut products. Shortcut (http://shortcut.no) is a
norwegian development and design company I co-founded. By Gitorious
being a Shortcut product means that we're able to fund its ongoing
development through consulting and providing infrastructure for other
companies in the open source sphere.

Please do make use of a much better, faster and stronger
Gitorious.org, we've got some more exciting things to talk about next
week which is when we'll push the updated codebase to
http://gitorious.org/gitorious

Enjoy and don't forget to let me know if you experience any issues
with the new release!

Cheers,
JS

Thomas

May 9, 2009, 9:10:03 AM5/9/09
to Gitorious
Hi Johan,

this sounds great! I took a short look on the new gitorious platform,
looks amazing! It's great to have groups owning projects now.

Will you support private repository hosting in future?

Bye, Thomas

On May 9, 2:53 pm, Johan Sørensen <jo...@johansorensen.com> wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I got some exciting news for you. The first part of these are already
> available today!
>
> But, first, please note that we had to change our public SSH key
> fingerprint. The fingerprint is now
> 7e:af:8d:ec:f0:39:5e:ba:52:16:ce:19:fa:d4:b8:7d and the IP of the
> frontend server is 87.238.52.168. Easiest way to deal with this is to
> delete gitorious.org from your ~/.ssh/known_hosts and reaccept the
> connection when you push (please do double-check that that
> fingerprints are correct though)
>
> Please take a look at a much improvedhttp://gitorious.organd read a
> more detailed overview of some of all the new things available athttp://blog.gitorious.org.
>
> I'm also happy to tell you that Gitorious and Gitorious.org is now
> officially Shortcut products. Shortcut (http://shortcut.no) is a
> norwegian development and design company I co-founded. By Gitorious
> being a Shortcut product means that we're able to fund its ongoing
> development through consulting and providing infrastructure for other
> companies in the open source sphere.
>
> Please do make use of a much better, faster and stronger
> Gitorious.org, we've got some more exciting things to talk about next
> week which is when we'll push the updated codebase tohttp://gitorious.org/gitorious

Patrick Aljord

May 9, 2009, 3:08:02 PM5/9/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Johan Sørensen <jo...@johansorensen.com> wrote:
> Please do make use of a much better, faster and stronger
> Gitorious.org, we've got some more exciting things to talk about next
> week which is when we'll push the updated codebase to
> http://gitorious.org/gitorious
>
> Enjoy and don't forget to let me know if you experience any issues
> with the new release!

Doesn't the AGPL forces you to release the source today with the
deploy? Or did you rewrite all the contributed source code?

Jason Riedy

May 9, 2009, 4:20:42 PM5/9/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
And Johan Sørensen writes:
> Please take a look at a much improved http://gitorious.org and read a
> more detailed overview of some of all the new things available at
> http://blog.gitorious.org.

I can't. At least not until I wade through the new terms of service.
And if I disagree with that terms, I'm locked out of the data I've
stored there. Locking out users without any warning is not nice.

Jason

Yuri Takhteyev

May 9, 2009, 4:54:19 PM5/9/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
> I can't.  At least not until I wade through the new terms of service.
> And if I disagree with that terms, I'm locked out of the data I've
> stored there.  Locking out users without any warning is not nice.

+1

And there are things to disagree with.

"the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated"

I guess code that includes base64-encoded images is no longer allowed...

The indemnification clause is also a little aggressive, especially
when combined with the lack of promise to remove the content on
request.

Another issue: all the links are now broken. Can you do something
about this? (I actually liked the old URL organization better, but I
suppose it wouldn't matter so much if proper redirects were in place.)

- yuri

--
http://spu.tnik.org/

Johan Sørensen

May 9, 2009, 7:13:52 PM5/9/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Patrick Aljord <pat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Doesn't the AGPL forces you to release the source today with the
> deploy? Or did you rewrite all the contributed source code?

Monday morning. I'll give you a personal tour.

JS

Johan Sørensen

May 9, 2009, 7:16:12 PM5/9/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

Obviously we have little interest in keeping any data you don't want
there. If chose not to agree and take go elsewhere that's fine, just
let me know what you want removed.

However, we're not unreasonable, if you have a strong opinion on any
terms of service or whatnot, I'll happily listen and answer.

> Jason

JS

Johan Sørensen

May 9, 2009, 7:24:04 PM5/9/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Yuri Takhteyev <takh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I can't.  At least not until I wade through the new terms of service.
>> And if I disagree with that terms, I'm locked out of the data I've
>> stored there.  Locking out users without any warning is not nice.
>
> +1
>
> And there are things to disagree with.
>
> "the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated"
>
> I guess code that includes base64-encoded images is no longer allowed...

I see you point and agree, at least in your example. What the
paragraph is referring to, in spirit, is things like spam-scripts
hammering comment fields and so forth. Machine generated code in the
terms of code-generation and so forth is fine. I'll talk to the people
who know the legal aspects of these matters and find a way to reword
it to what it's intended to convey.

> The indemnification clause is also a little aggressive, especially
> when combined with the lack of promise to remove the content on
> request.

I think you've misread it, we cannot reasonable remove cached or
otherwise referenced (backups come to mind) content right away, but
within reasonable time.

> Another issue: all the links are now broken. Can you do something
> about this? (I actually liked the old URL organization better, but I
> suppose it wouldn't matter so much if proper redirects were in place.)

I'll admit I still got a few redirects to do, could you send me the
urls to the things that break? thanks

> - yuri

JS

Yuri Takhteyev

May 9, 2009, 8:27:33 PM5/9/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
> terms of code-generation and so forth is fine. I'll talk to the people
> who know the legal aspects of these matters and find a way to reword
> it to what it's intended to convey.

Until then, is it possible to let existing users continue using the site?

> I think you've misread it, we cannot reasonable remove cached or
> otherwise referenced (backups come to mind) content right away, but
> within reasonable time.

Perhaps. It's a complicated license and I probably should read it a
lot more carefully before making comments about it, but after a quick
reading "world-wide, perpetual, royalty-free, and non-exclusive
license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish" doesn't sound like a
fun proposition when combined with an indemnity clause. To me this
reads like "we can change and redistribute your code forever, but if
someone sues us over this, you pay our legal fees". Just to make it
clear, I am not a lawyer, and my reading of the license may be totally
off.

I understand your need to protect yourself and Shortcut, but I agree
with Jason that when introducing a new click-through TOS, it is good
to give a little warning, so that people have time to read the new
terms, to think whether they can sign up for such terms, and to plan
for a migration if they do not.

On the other hand, Jason: you can always just pull your data with git
and push it to your favorite alternative service.

> I'll admit I still got a few redirects to do, could you send me the
> urls to the things that break?

Just a few examples:

http://gitorious.org/projects/sputnik/repos/mainline
http://gitorious.org/projects/sputnik/repos/mainline/commits/b50eec37

But all links to branches, trees, files and commits are broken.

Jason Riedy

May 9, 2009, 10:27:17 PM5/9/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
And Johan Sørensen writes:
> However, we're not unreasonable, if you have a strong opinion on any
> terms of service or whatnot, I'll happily listen and answer.

My point is that suddenly I cannot use anything I placed there without
wading through yet another possibly legal document. And this was with
no warning. I don't have time to read and think about it right now.

Jason

Patrick Aljord

May 9, 2009, 11:12:28 PM5/9/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com

Awesome, I'll be waiting for it :p

Martin Pettersson

May 10, 2009, 1:40:49 AM5/10/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com

http://gitorious.org/proview doesn't work yet
But the rest of the changes I think is good so far...
Keep up the good work... and thanks for a great service.
Martin

Johan Sørensen

May 10, 2009, 1:43:31 PM5/10/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Martin Pettersson <mar...@siamect.com> wrote:
> http://gitorious.org/proview doesn't work yet
> But the rest of the changes I think is good so far...
> Keep up the good work... and thanks for a great service.

Should work as of earlier today. Same with redirects of the /projects/... urls.

> Martin

Cheers,
JS

Erik Pukinskis

May 10, 2009, 7:17:59 PM5/10/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
Looks great Johan! Lots of nice changes, thank you for all of your
hard work! It's a great contribution to the F/L/OSS community.

Erik

Peter Dalmaris

May 11, 2009, 6:08:36 AM5/11/09
to Gitorious
Congratulations Johan and all contributors, the new Gitorious looks
excellent!

Peter

On May 11, 9:17 am, Erik Pukinskis <erikpukins...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks great Johan!  Lots of nice changes, thank you for all of your
> hard work!  It's a great contribution to the F/L/OSS community.
>
> Erik
>
> On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 5:53 AM, Johan Sørensen <jo...@johansorensen.com> wrote:
>
> > Everyone,
>
> > I got some exciting news for you. The first part of these are already
> > available today!
>
> > But, first, please note that we had to change our public SSH key
> > fingerprint. The fingerprint is now
> > 7e:af:8d:ec:f0:39:5e:ba:52:16:ce:19:fa:d4:b8:7d and the IP of the
> > frontend server is 87.238.52.168. Easiest way to deal with this is to
> > delete gitorious.org from your ~/.ssh/known_hosts and reaccept the
> > connection when you push (please do double-check that that
> > fingerprints are correct though)
>
> > Please take a look at a much improvedhttp://gitorious.organd read a

AkitaOnRails

May 11, 2009, 8:50:13 AM5/11/09
to Gitorious
Awesome news! I am eager to upgrade my company's installation to this
new version. Congrats and thanks for the efforts!

On May 9, 9:53 am, Johan Sørensen <jo...@johansorensen.com> wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I got some exciting news for you. The first part of these are already
> available today!
>
> But, first, please note that we had to change our public SSH key
> fingerprint. The fingerprint is now
> 7e:af:8d:ec:f0:39:5e:ba:52:16:ce:19:fa:d4:b8:7d and the IP of the
> frontend server is 87.238.52.168. Easiest way to deal with this is to
> delete gitorious.org from your ~/.ssh/known_hosts and reaccept the
> connection when you push (please do double-check that that
> fingerprints are correct though)
>
> Please take a look at a much improvedhttp://gitorious.organd read a
> more detailed overview of some of all the new things available athttp://blog.gitorious.org.
>
> I'm also happy to tell you that Gitorious and Gitorious.org is now
> officially Shortcut products. Shortcut (http://shortcut.no) is a
> norwegian development and design company I co-founded. By Gitorious
> being a Shortcut product means that we're able to fund its ongoing
> development through consulting and providing infrastructure for other
> companies in the open source sphere.
>
> Please do make use of a much better, faster and stronger
> Gitorious.org, we've got some more exciting things to talk about next
> week which is when we'll push the updated codebase tohttp://gitorious.org/gitorious

Martin Pettersson

May 11, 2009, 9:21:57 AM5/11/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for being such a rails newbie... but I get something like this:

(in /home/martin/gitorious)
rake aborted!
undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass

Thanks and best regards
Martin

Martin Pettersson

May 11, 2009, 9:26:15 AM5/11/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for being such a rails newbie... but I get something like this:

martin@MATACILT ~/gitorious $ for RAILS_ENV in production ; do rake db:migrate --trace; done
(in /home/martin/gitorious)
** Invoke db:migrate (first_time)
** Invoke environment (first_time)
** Execute environment
rake aborted!
undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass
/home/martin/gitorious/config/environments/development.rb:18:in `load_environment'
/home/martin/gitorious/config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:365:in `load_environment'
/home/martin/gitorious/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext/kernel/reporting.rb:11:in `silence_warnings'
/home/martin/gitorious/config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:358:in `load_environment'
/home/martin/gitorious/config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:137:in `process'
/home/martin/gitorious/config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:113:in `send'
/home/martin/gitorious/config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:113:in `run'
/home/martin/gitorious/config/environment.rb:13
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require'
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'
/home/martin/gitorious/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:156:in `require'
/home/martin/gitorious/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:521:in `new_constants_in'
/home/martin/gitorious/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:156:in `require'
/home/martin/gitorious/vendor/rails/railties/lib/tasks/misc.rake:4
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:617:in `call'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:617:in `execute'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:612:in `each'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:612:in `execute'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:578:in `invoke_with_call_chain'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/monitor.rb:242:in `synchronize'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:571:in `invoke_with_call_chain'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:588:in `invoke_prerequisites'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:585:in `each'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:585:in `invoke_prerequisites'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:577:in `invoke_with_call_chain'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/monitor.rb:242:in `synchronize'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:571:in `invoke_with_call_chain'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:564:in `invoke'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:2027:in `invoke_task'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:2005:in `top_level'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:2005:in `each'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:2005:in `top_level'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:2044:in `standard_exception_handling'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:1999:in `top_level'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:1977:in `run'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:2044:in `standard_exception_handling'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/lib/rake.rb:1974:in `run'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.4/bin/rake:31
/usr/bin/rake:19:in `load'
/usr/bin/rake:19
martin@MATACILT ~/gitorious $

\

Johan Sørensen

May 11, 2009, 11:58:38 AM5/11/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
Martin,

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Martin Pettersson <mar...@siamect.com> wrote:
> Sorry for being such a rails newbie... but I get something like this:
>
> (in /home/martin/gitorious)
> rake aborted!
> undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass

Sounds like you need to copy the config/database.sample.yml to
config/database.yml

> Thanks and best regards
> Martin

JS

Johan Sørensen

May 11, 2009, 12:00:08 PM5/11/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:50 PM, AkitaOnRails <fabio...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Awesome news! I am eager to upgrade my company's installation to this
> new version. Congrats and thanks for the efforts!

If you're upgrading an existing install you'd probably want to wait a
few days, there's a few peculiars I haven't yet had time to fully
document (last few days have been hectic!).

Cheers,
JS

Martin Pettersson

May 11, 2009, 12:19:51 PM5/11/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
Thanks... but sorry I have it already and when I do rake db:create:all it works and the databases are created.
so there must be something else...
Martin

Johan Sørensen

May 11, 2009, 12:21:14 PM5/11/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Martin Pettersson <mar...@siamect.com> wrote:
> Thanks... but sorry I have it already and when I do rake db:create:all it
> works and the databases are created.
> so there must be something else...
[snip]

>> > undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass
>>
>> Sounds like you need to copy the config/database.sample.yml to
>> config/database.yml

Actually, I wrote that a bit too fast, I meant config/gitorious.sample.yml

JS

Martin Pettersson

May 11, 2009, 12:26:28 PM5/11/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again but sorry again... The config/gitorious.yml is there too....
I list is below
Martin
> development:

production:

test:
# The session secret key (`apg -m 64` is always useful for this kinda stuff)
cookie_secret: 8d6d8ce4437672a91be96396302c473b

# The path where git repositories are stored. The actual (bare) repositories resides
# in repository_base_path/#{project.slug}/#{repository.name}.git/:
repository_base_path: "/gitorious/repositories"

# Stuff that's in the html <head>. custom stats javascript code etc
extra_html_head_data:

# System message that will appear on all pages if present
system_message:

# Port the ./script/gitorious script should use:
gitorious_client_port: 3000

# Host the ./script/gitorious script should use:
gitorious_client_host: localhost

# Host which is serving the gitorious app, eg "gitorious.org"
gitorious_host: localhost

# User which is running git daemon
gitorious_user: root

# Email spam on server errors to:
exception_notification_emails: mar...@siamect.com

# Mangle visible e-mail addresses (spam protection)
mangle_email_addresses: true

# Enable or Disable Public Mode (true) or Private Mode (false)
public_mode: true

# Define your locale
locale: en

# Where should we store generated tarballs?
# (should be readable by webserver, since we tell it to send the file using X-Sendfile)
archive_cache_dir: "/tmp"
# Which directory should we work in when we generate tarballs, before moving
# them to the above dir?
archive_work_dir: "/tmp"

# is it only site admins who can create new projects?
only_site_admins_can_create_projects: false

# Should we hide HTTP clone urls?
hide_http_clone_urls: false

oauth:
adapter: test
consumer_key: foo
consumer_secret: bar

Thomas

May 11, 2009, 3:48:31 PM5/11/09
to Gitorious
Hi there,

seems to be a problem with parsing the config files. I got the same
error message. When substituting config/environments/production.rb:34:
with my own hostname, the error message was gone. However, rails
aborted then with the following error message
config/initializers/gitorious_config.rb:4: undefined method `[]=' for
nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)

Hopefully, we get the new gitorious running on our servers soon too.

Regards,
Thomas

AkitaOnRails

May 11, 2009, 8:06:11 PM5/11/09
to Gitorious
Ok, I will wait for your upgraded documentation :-) I will indeed
upgrade a production environment.

On 10 maio, 14:43, Johan Sørensen <jo...@johansorensen.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Martin Pettersson <mar...@siamect.com> wrote:
> >http://gitorious.org/proviewdoesn't work yet

Diego Algorta

May 11, 2009, 8:32:38 PM5/11/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
Me too. I do have an old install (pre wiki feature) in production.

Jorge Calás Lozano

May 12, 2009, 5:35:30 AM5/12/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
Waiting here too, just to accomplish the long time delayed task of
installing a front-end to our private git repos we currently have +20
private repos. Any clue on this will be of interest.

The new gitorious looks really good, congrats,

Thx,

Jorge Calás

Jason Riedy

May 12, 2009, 7:35:58 PM5/12/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
And Yuri Takhteyev writes:
> "the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated"

Has there been any progress on this? Some portions of LAPACK have
been machine-generated, as have many other projects. I know
laconi.ca uses typical PHP code generators for deriving database
access routines. And users of QT may include code generated by GUI
layout tools.

I finally made time to read the new ToS, and I cannot agree to them
so long as you ban all machine-generated content. Will this be
changed? If not, you will have to remove LAPACK and the XBLAS at
the very least, and likely many other projects.

Jason

Bill Marquette

May 12, 2009, 11:06:28 PM5/12/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com

Technically any Rails projects (gitorious included) violates this,
although I'm sure that is not the intent of this term. It's a shame
that we live in a world where "don't be evil" has to be spelled out in
such detail.

--Bill

Johan Sørensen

May 13, 2009, 3:53:09 AM5/13/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 1:35 AM, Jason Riedy <ja...@acm.org> wrote:

> And Yuri Takhteyev writes:
>> "the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated"
>
> Has there been any progress on this?  Some portions of LAPACK have
> been machine-generated, as have many other projects.  I know
> laconi.ca uses typical PHP code generators for deriving database
> access routines.  And users of QT may include code generated by GUI
> layout tools.

We have narrowed down the scope a bit here to better convey the intent
behind it, the TOS now say: "is not machine- or randomly-generated
with malicious intent towards the Website".
This effectively excludes your uploaded source code (which may be
machine generated), bit disallows things like automated scripts
generating garbage projects, accounts and so forth.

> I finally made time to read the new ToS, and I cannot agree to them
> so long as you ban all machine-generated content.  Will this be
> changed?  If not, you will have to remove LAPACK and the XBLAS at
> the very least, and likely many other projects.

Does the clause sound more reasonable to you now?

And just to make it absolutely clear, we have no intent of locking
anyone down or excluding posting of code-generated code in your git
repositories. We expect you to not be evil (and neither are we) and we
want our TOS to reflect that while still covering us from abuse and
the other points the TOS covers.

> Jason

Regards,
Johan

Jason Riedy

May 13, 2009, 11:05:15 AM5/13/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
And Johan Sørensen writes:
> We have narrowed down the scope a bit here to better convey the intent
> behind it, the TOS now say: "is not machine- or randomly-generated
> with malicious intent towards the Website".

That sounds much better, thanks. I can agree with these terms.

I'm still worried about future changes. Will you be locking out users
with no notice again?

Jason

Johan Sørensen

May 14, 2009, 2:59:45 AM5/14/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com

No, not unless they violate any agreements with us. Please understand
that Gitorious went from having me being personally responsible for
all activity to something that's run by my company (and frankly,
continuing down the path that was me being responsible was neither
fair towards me nor you, the user), to something that's run by my
company and servicing not only you, but also other corporations such
as Qt. Hence we needed to make sure every existing user was ok with
the new terms once and for all, otherwise we'd have a mess if it came
to it actually being enforced and some users hadn't agreed to it. But
I can see how it came a bit abrupt.

> Jason

Regards,
Johan

David Ellis

May 19, 2009, 3:13:53 PM5/19/09
to Gitorious
I'm still having problems with rake in the context of gitorious (I
tried downgrading to rake-0.8.4, but it was the same as with 0.8.7).
For instance, at db:migrate*

rake aborted!
undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass
/home/dellis/gitorious/config/environments/development.rb:18:in
`load_environment'

The line to blame is here:

YAML.load_file(File.join(RAILS_ROOT, "config/gitorious.yml"))
[RAILS_ENV]["gitorious_host"]

So, either the loaded file is nil or file[RAILS_ENV] is nil. Makes me
think the environment variables are unhappy, but

$ ls ${RAILS_ROOT}/config/gitorious.yml -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 dellis dellis 1762 May 19 18:03 /home/dellis/gitorious/
config/gitorious.yml

In my gitorious.yml:
# Host which is serving the gitorious app, eg "gitorious.org"
gitorious_host: localhost

... is localhost not okay? I also tried a valid external name for my
box, but same behavior in that case. I would be glad for any advice
(or patch/fix, if it's not just that I'm a dodohead).

Kiitti,

David

* Specifically, 'for RAILS_ENV in development test production ; do
rake db:migrate --trace; done'

On 12 touko, 02:35, Jorge Calás Lozano <jca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Waiting here too, just to accomplish the long time delayed task of
> installing a front-end to our private git repos we currently have +20
> private repos. Any clue on this will be of interest.
>
> The new gitorious looks really good, congrats,
>
> Thx,
>
> Jorge Calás
>
> Diego Algorta wrote:
> > Me too. I do have an old install (pre wiki feature) in production.
>
> > On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 9:06 PM, AkitaOnRails <fabioak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Ok, I will wait for your upgraded documentation :-) I will indeed
> >> upgrade a production environment.

Marius Mårnes Mathiesen

May 20, 2009, 8:59:02 AM5/20/09
to gito...@googlegroups.com
On 19. mai. 2009, at 21.13, David Ellis wrote:

> ... is localhost not okay? I also tried a valid external name for my
> box, but same behavior in that case. I would be glad for any advice
> (or patch/fix, if it's not just that I'm a dodohead).

The problem is probably that config/gitorious.yml now has a section
for each Rails environment, just like datbase.yml. So if you had:

gitorious_host: foo.bar

You'll need to change it to:

development:
gitorious_host: foo.bar
test:
gitorious_host: foo.bar

I'm working on updating the README right now, expect it to be in the
repo this afternoon.

Regards,
- Marius

hyc

Mar 22, 2011, 10:08:10 AM3/22/11
to gito...@googlegroups.com
I'm surprised this was passed over so lightly. The text that Yuri
quoted from the Terms of Service means that users grant gitorious a
sublicense to the content. And yet, most of the free software licenses
prohibit sublicensing. This is a pretty glaring conflict, given the
huge amount of GPL code present on gitorious. E.g., GPLv3 states this
explicitly at the end of Section 2.
Sublicensing is not allowed; section 10 makes it unnecessary.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html

Essentially you are trying to claim in your Terms of Service that no
matter what original license applied to a particular project, you are
completely ignoring it and imposing your own license thereafter. The
GPL explicitly forbids this. I have just now been forced to remove all
of my OpenLDAP repos because the OpenLDAP Public License also forbids
this. How can such a license-unfriendly ToS have gone unnoticed for
all this time?

Marius Mårnes Mathiesen

Mar 23, 2011, 4:18:29 AM3/23/11
to gito...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 3:08 PM, hyc <h...@highlandsun.com> wrote:
I'm surprised this was passed over so lightly.  The text that Yuri
quoted from the Terms of Service means that users grant gitorious a
sublicense to the content. And yet, most of the free software licenses
prohibit sublicensing. This is a pretty glaring conflict, given the
huge amount of GPL code present on gitorious. E.g., GPLv3 states this
explicitly at the end of Section 2.
  Sublicensing is not allowed; section 10 makes it unnecessary.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html

So is the issue here the text "(hereunder sub-licensing)", or are there other issues you're concerned about?

Cheers,
- Marius

hyc

Mar 23, 2011, 10:53:32 AM3/23/11
to Gitorious

On Mar 23, 1:18 am, Marius Mårnes Mathiesen
Sub-licensing, exactly.

Marius Mårnes Mathiesen

Apr 8, 2011, 2:13:03 AM4/8/11
to gito...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 3:53 PM, hyc <h...@highlandsun.com> wrote:
> So is the issue here the text "(hereunder sub-licensing)", or are there
> other issues you're concerned about?

Sub-licensing, exactly.

Sorry for being kind of slow here.
Just to let you know: we're now getting some help from the FSF to work out a wording that doesn't violate any free software licenses while still protecting Gitorious from liability.

Cheers,
- Marius