Hide main page title?

Gwern Branwen

Jun 1, 2009, 8:47:18 AM6/1/09
to Gitit
We seem to have a feature request to hide the title on whatever is the
front-page/main-page:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/8oiem/gitit_in_action_the_darcs_project_has_a_new_wiki/c09ycoo?context=3

Thoughts?

--
gwern

Anton van Straaten

Jun 1, 2009, 9:45:08 AM6/1/09
to gitit-...@googlegroups.com

Related to that, among other things I've been using RST in Gitit as a
way to author and manage documents for clients, and then generate e.g.
PDFs or Word (via RTF) as output. But that means I either have to name
the page the actual title of the document, which can get unwieldy, or
else I have to edit the generated output to change the title.

Some sort of title markup which overrides the page name would be useful.

Anton

John MacFarlane

Jun 1, 2009, 2:25:19 PM6/1/09
to gitit-...@googlegroups.com
+++ Gwern Branwen [Jun 01 09 08:47 ]:

You can name the front page whatever you like. By default, it is
called "Front Page"; for some reason, on the current darcs wiki,
it is called "FrontPage". But if you like--

git mv "Front Page.page" "The Darcs Wiki.page"
git commit -m "Renamed Front Page"

Then edit your config file to include the line

front-page: The Darcs Wiki

This makes more sense to me than changing gitit so it doesn't
print the page title for the front page.

John

Gwern Branwen

Jun 2, 2009, 12:09:31 PM6/2/09
to gitit-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 2:25 PM, John MacFarlane <fiddlo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can name the front page whatever you like. By default, it is
> called "Front Page"; for some reason, on the current darcs wiki,
> it is called "FrontPage".  But if you like--
>
> git mv "Front Page.page" "The Darcs Wiki.page"
> git commit -m "Renamed Front Page"
>
> Then edit your config file to include the line
>
> front-page: The Darcs Wiki
>
> This makes more sense to me than changing gitit so it doesn't
> print the page title for the front page.
>
> John

I think the point is not that 'Front Page' is boring, but rather that
having any title at all is superfluous - 'obviously I'm on the main
page/front page/home page, since I clicked on wiki.darcs.net and this
is describing the wiki in general'.

--
gwern

John MacFarlane

Jun 2, 2009, 1:08:44 PM6/2/09
to gitit-...@googlegroups.com
+++ Anton van Straaten [Jun 01 09 09:45 ]:

Here's one idea: if a pandoc title is present ("% title" on first
line of file), use that instead of the page name. If title is blank,
don't print it at all.

Then you could include a blank title block on the front page if you
didn't want a title to appear.

I haven't thought about how hard this would be to implement, but it
shouldn't be too hard. Thoughts?

John

Gwern Branwen

Jun 2, 2009, 1:20:04 PM6/2/09
to gitit-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 1:08 PM, John MacFarlane <fiddlo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's one idea:  if a  pandoc title is present ("% title" on first
> line of file), use that instead of the page name.  If title is blank,
> don't print it at all.
>
> Then you could include a blank title block on the front page if you
> didn't want a title to appear.
>
> I haven't thought about how hard this would be to implement, but it
> shouldn't be too hard.  Thoughts?
>
> John

That seems logical enough. I was thinking about a directive of some
sort, along the lines of WP's __NOTOC__, but I didn't want to suggest
yet another magic word or fragment. A blank % though, fits well into
the existing scheme.

--
gwern

Anton van Straaten

Jun 4, 2009, 4:53:07 PM6/4/09
to gitit-...@googlegroups.com

First, I hadn't been aware of that feature of pandoc (note to self: read
documentation occasionally!) It completely solves my immediate need if
I use pandoc directly with -s to generate my final output. I'm happy,
thanks!

Having this feature work within Gitit would still be convenient, though,
and it seems like a reasonable and general way to address Gwern's request.

It also ties in with my general desire to be able to use Gitit features
to more easily author and manage different kinds of pages, beyond just
traditional wiki pages.

Anton