Merging wikis

Colin Adams

Jan 21, 2010, 9:58:23 PM1/21/10
to gitit-...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to be offline for several days next week, but I'll have my
laptop with me. Since gitit is based on git, it occurs to me that I
could clone the repository to the laptop, update my wiki offline, and
then merge changes back using git when I am online again.
But this is complicated by the fact that gitit uses other files than
the repository, so I'm not sure how to start the process. Or indeed
how to branch in the first place (what;s the URL for a gitit
repository?).

--
Colin Adams
Preston,

Gwern Branwen

Jan 21, 2010, 10:04:02 PM1/21/10
to gitit-...@googlegroups.com

I suppose that all depends on how you set up your wiki. FWIW, this is
one of the instances a self-hosted wiki would shine - then you
wouldn't need to worry about the extra files as they'd be part of the
repo you're cloning. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, see
the README.)

--
gwern

John MacFarlane

Jan 22, 2010, 12:53:42 AM1/22/10
to gitit-...@googlegroups.com
+++ Colin Adams [Jan 22 10 02:58 ]:

That depends on your setup. If your repository is on your desktop
machine, and you can ssh in to it from your laptop, then you should
be able to do something like

git clone user...@your.desktop:path/to/gitit/wikidata

If you want to use the web interface on your laptop, then you'll
also need to copy over your config file (if you use one),
your gitit-users file, your static directory, and your templates
directory.

When you get back, you should be able to do something like

git push origin master

John

Colin Adams

Jan 29, 2010, 2:56:42 PM1/29/10
to gitit-...@googlegroups.com

It worked a treat.
Thanks.

Colin Adams

Jan 29, 2010, 3:08:06 PM1/29/10
to gitit-...@googlegroups.com
>> When you get back, you should be able to do something like
>>
>>    git push origin master
>>
>> John
>
> It worked a treat.
> Thanks.

I take that back. The merge worked fine, but I can't see the updates
on the live site. I tried re-starting. And I don't have a cache.

What else might I need to do?

John MacFarlane

Jan 29, 2010, 3:31:38 PM1/29/10
to gitit-...@googlegroups.com
+++ Colin Adams [Jan 29 10 20:08 ]:

> >> When you get back, you should be able to do something like
> >>
> >>    git push origin master
> >>
> >> John
> >
> > It worked a treat.
> > Thanks.
> >

> I take that back. The merge worked fine, but I can't see the updates
> on the live site. I tried re-starting. And I don't have a cache.
>
> What else might I need to do?

Do you see the updates in the actual files in your wikidata directory
(on your desktop), or just in the git log? If they just show up in
the log, then you could do a 'git reset --hard HEAD', which will
make sure your working directory reflects the contents of the
repository. This shouldn't be necessary with a default gitit setup,
though, which sets up a hook to update your working directory after
a push.

John

Colin Adams

Jan 29, 2010, 11:28:43 PM1/29/10
to gitit-...@googlegroups.com
Actually it was just a foolish mistake by me. I had cloned from the
backup machine, and so the push went there too.