Portable GitExtensions

jpouliezos

Oct 11, 2011, 1:49:45 PM10/11/11
to GitExtensions
Hi.

For my personal need - and comfort - I have created a portable
installer for GitExtensions, so that I can run it using the
PortableApps platform - http://portableapps.com/. In case anyone
wonders why, it's all about making my life easier, having all my git
configuration in one place, never minding about the environment i am
working on. Just plug in my usb stick, open GitExtensions, and
voila... ready to use my repos. No installation needed. Of course,
prerequisites always apply.

Visual Studio extensions are not - and cannot be - included, nor is
explorer shell integration - yet. But the GUI works like a charm,
always targeting the right path to my repositories, knowing my origins
etc.

Anyway, just letting the community know, in case anyone needs it.

Ryan Lynch

Oct 18, 2011, 12:26:38 PM10/18/11
to GitExtensions
Neat. Where can I get it?

On Oct 11, 1:49 pm, jpouliezos <jpoulie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> For my personal need - and comfort - I have created a portable
> installer for GitExtensions, so that I can run it using the
> PortableApps platform -http://portableapps.com/. In case anyone

jpouliezos

Nov 8, 2011, 8:51:35 AM11/8/11
to GitExtensions
I will post it in PortableApps forums in a couple of days. Just doing
some tests. Could anyone from the development team tell me if it is ok
to "redistribute" - if this is the case? I don't want to be in
conflict with any licenses, and I am not that good in understanding
them... just trying to do my life easier.

Henk Westhuis

Nov 12, 2011, 3:53:15 AM11/12/11
to gitext...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You are free to redistribute Git Extensions. Having that said, it would
be nice to add it to the Git Extensions website also.
Thanks for asking!

Kindest Regards,
Henk Westhuis

jpouliezos

Feb 29, 2012, 6:25:55 AM2/29/12
to gitext...@googlegroups.com
Hey ppl... I finally managed to upload the portable version.

A quick walk through on how to use it:
  1. Get MSysGitPortable from https://github.com/jpoul/MSysGitPortable. It is a PortableApps online installer, meaning that it will download PortableGit from MSysGit and install it.
  2. Get the GitExtensionsPortable from https://github.com/jpoul/GitExtensionsPortable. Again, run the installer.
  3. Get KDiff3Portable from http://portableapps.com/node/27028, and install it
GitEstensions are preconfigured with the default locations, and if you go by the book, you can run GitExtensions from the portable installation.

Just a couple of things:
  • Shell integration is not working (i think it works on 32bit environments, but I am not really sure). I will try to make it work though. Anyway, it needs more testing, but it is not high in my priorities.
  • Visual Studio integration will not be implemented - impossible to do in a portable way, to save you from asking.
  • I just uploaded everything on my GitHub account to get things started. It would be great if GitExtensionsPortable could be hosted here, as an alternative installer. Also, it would be great to integrate it with the build process, so that the installer gets automatically updated with each new release.
That's all for now. Hope I am being usefull. Give it a shot and let me know.

jpouliezos

Apr 11, 2012, 2:31:10 PM4/11/12
to gitext...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to let you know that I have updated my git repos with version 2.31 portable. There are also some changes in my portable msysgit package, so i anyone is using this, please, do update and let me know of any errors / problems.

Tamás Laczkó

Jan 28, 2014, 10:12:49 AM1/28/14
to gitext...@googlegroups.com
Could you please update your links?
Only the KDiff3 link works, the others respond with 404 errors.

Philipp

Jan 21, 2015, 5:47:15 AM1/21/15
to gitext...@googlegroups.com
Hey together,

FYI, to get GitExtension protable (on WINDOWS), just install it on your System.
  • Copy to your USB-Stick (best in \GitPortable\:
    1. Git
    2. KDiff3
    3. GitExtensions
  • then create a dir inside GitExtensions "HomeDir".
  • copy the ".gitconfig" file from your C:\USERS\%USERNAME%\.gitconfig to the new created directory
    • edit gitconfig file:
    • [difftool "kdiff3"]
      path = ../KDiff3/kdiff3.exe
      [mergetool "kdiff3"]
      path = ../KDiff3/kdiff3.exe

  • edit \GitExtension\GitExtensions.exe.config
    • <setting name="IsPortable" serializeAs="String">
    •         <value>true</value>
    • </setting>
  • edit \GitExtension\GitExtensions.settings
    • change paths:
      • for inside the current dir use .\XYZ\XYZ.exe
      • for outside dirs (but still on your usb.stick) use ..\XYZ\XYZ.exe
    • Youe need to change PUTTY, gitcommand, gitbindir
    • Add this property:
    <item>

    <key>

    <string>customhomedir</string>

    </key>

    <value>

    <string>.\HomeDir</string>

    </value>

    </item>

    Then start your protable GitExtension and check if everything works fine.
    My advice is to set the GitExtensions.settings file readonly flag (This can cause applicaton problems!)
    Remember!: You will not be able to use this with different users, as the configuration for all users are the same (Email, etc..)!

    I hope i did not forget anything, so pls try it and respond me.

    Philipp.