Gimmie successor MAYANNA

Seif Lotfy

Apr 9, 2008, 3:51:50 PM4/9/08
to Gimmie Desktop Organizer
After a talk with Gimmie creator Alex Graveley, due to his shortage on
time to maintain Gimmie, he allowed me and einalex to fork Gimmie thus
starting MAYANNA.
here is our first semi stable release http://mayanna.googlecode.com/files/mayanna-0.2.8.tar.gz
please test extensively.

Seif Lotfy

Apr 9, 2008, 4:13:22 PM4/9/08
to Gimmie Desktop Organizer
by the way u have to install the latest python-gdata for it to work
more will be coming soon

On Apr 9, 9:51 pm, Seif Lotfy <seiflo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> After a talk with Gimmie creator Alex Graveley, due to his shortage on
> time to maintain Gimmie, he allowed me and einalex to fork Gimmie thus
> starting MAYANNA.

Alex Graveley

Apr 9, 2008, 5:55:54 PM4/9/08
to gim...@googlegroups.com
Awesome to see this getting off the ground so quickly! If you're
interested in some of the large scale changes Seif and Alex have in
store, don't hesitate to check out Mayanna :-)

-Alex

Jeffery Olson

Apr 10, 2008, 10:20:08 AM4/10/08
to gim...@googlegroups.com
whatever happened to the idea of the awn plugin? will this continue in mayanna?

I also ask this in the context of whether mayanna/gimmie's future lies
in a "standalone" app model or in a "plugin"-model, where the project
supports plugins to all of the major desktop panel APIs.

In my case, I use XFCE (lowest real-estate/resource hogging on an Eee
PC) + compiz + awn and I wonder if it'd be possible to make a panel
plugin for mayanna/gimmie in xfce in the same fashion that the
gnome/awn plugins have been done.. (then at least i can drop the awn
piece... its popups are really kludgy and a hassle to deal with (the
whole focus/disapear thing is annoying))

I guess i'll hop on the other list and ask, if no one wants to answer that here.

anywho, great news!

cheers,
jeff

Seif Lotfy

Apr 10, 2008, 10:24:29 AM4/10/08
to gim...@googlegroups.com
well good idea
i will take a look next monday on creating a gimmie plugin for the xfce panel.
right now mayanna ist taking off where gimmie left. so an awn panel will be added soon
cheers
Seif

Breaker One

Apr 10, 2008, 10:31:32 AM4/10/08
to gim...@googlegroups.com
I'd still like to see a stable standalone version of gimmie or mayanna
with all the current features implemented ...

Seif Lotfy

Apr 10, 2008, 10:37:51 AM4/10/08
to Gimmie Desktop Organizer
i fixed some things an hour ago in the morngin try again
and if it crashes send me the crash report ....

On Apr 10, 4:31 pm, "Breaker One" <break...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd still like to see a stable standalone version of gimmie or mayanna
> with all the current features implemented ...
>
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Seif Lotfy <seiflo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > well good idea
> > i will take a look next monday on creating a gimmie plugin for the xfce
> > panel.
> > right now mayanna ist taking off where gimmie left. so an awn panel will be
> > added soon
> > cheers
> > Seif
>
> > 2008/4/10, Jeffery Olson <olson.jeff...@gmail.com>:
>
> > > whatever happened to the idea of the awn plugin? will this continue in
> > mayanna?
>
> > > I also ask this in the context of whether mayanna/gimmie's future lies
> > >   in a "standalone" app model or in a "plugin"-model, where the project
> > > supports plugins to all of the major desktop panel APIs.
>
> > > In my case, I use XFCE (lowest real-estate/resource hogging on an Eee
> > > PC) + compiz + awn and I wonder if it'd be possible to make a panel
> > > plugin for mayanna/gimmie in xfce in the same fashion that the
> > > gnome/awn plugins have been done.. (then at least i can drop the awn
> > > piece... its popups are really kludgy and a hassle to deal with (the
> > > whole focus/disapear thing is annoying))
>
> > > I guess i'll hop on the other list and ask, if no one wants to answer that
> > here.
>
> > > anywho, great news!
>
> > > cheers,
> > > jeff

Alex Graveley

Apr 10, 2008, 5:06:09 PM4/10/08
to gim...@googlegroups.com
Just to clarify, the AWN plugin is functional and checked into
Gimmie's svn for some time now, if you want to try it out. Perhaps it
makes sense to make a stable Gimmie release so people can play with
those bits?

-Alex

kenden

Apr 16, 2008, 6:54:28 PM4/16/08
to Gimmie Desktop Organizer
Good to see the development continues!
I am wondering why forking though, what is the advantage? "Taking
risks"? Isn't it what development versions are for? If so is Mayanna
just the incubator for Gimmie (like Beryl/Compiz)?
Or are they different objectives?
Thanks!
kenden

On Apr 9, 11:55 pm, "Alex Graveley" <a...@beatniksoftware.com> wrote:
> Awesome to see this getting off the ground so quickly!  If you're
> interested in some of the large scale changes Seif and Alex have in
> store, don't hesitate to check out Mayanna :-)
>
> -Alex

Seif Lotfy

Apr 16, 2008, 7:01:05 PM4/16/08
to Gimmie Desktop Organizer
Actually its kind of the same team i guess
only that Alex Graveley won't be that active do to his other
commitments.
and to not ruin the "Gimmie" name we decided to branch it.
Alex is also a Project member of MAYANNA :)

p.s:
I managed to get mayanna to upload pics form Images to flickr cool
huh?