Currency Configuration

Hannes Calitz

Nov 24, 2009, 4:57:01 AM11/24/09
to getpaid-dev
Hey guys

I have been working on getting the currency configuration working on GetPaid (http://getpaid.googlecode.com/svn/Products.PloneGetPaid/branches/hannesc/trunk/). As some of you know (well those of you who were at PloneConf2009 anyway) this has been a thorn in my side for a while now. I am glad to say that I have got a branch going with currency configuration working 100%.

From the discussions at the PloneConf2009 Sprint, I found that there are basically only two options that are truly needed in the configuration. This allowed me to simplify the configuration considerably. I have removed all the options in the original interfaces.py except for the currency symbol. Well, seeing as the currency configuration was never fully implemented, you could say that this option was 'added'. Once this was completely working, I added the ability to set whether the currency symbol should appear in front or behind the price. The template code is a bit messy, so if someone feels like cleaning that up, I would appreciate it.

I have tested the workings of it and everything seems to work fine. Because of the fact that I simplified the original interface so much, I don't know if this should be merged with the trunk. I leave that up to the community.

On a side note, this is not meant to do conversion. It is merely to allow people from different countries to use their local currencies instead of the originally hard-coded $.

Anyhow, any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hannes

Christopher Johnson

Nov 29, 2009, 11:05:02 PM11/29/09
to getpa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hannes,

Great to hear about the simplified interface! Thanks for reporting back the progress.

Have you thought about or looked into how the changes enable multi-currency sites to handle translations? Is there some awareness of the currency that the site would have to be able to convert?

Sounds like we are near needing to review and merge a bunch of branch work!

-c

--
GetPaid for Plone: http://www.plonegetpaid.com (overview info) | http://code.google.com/p/getpaid (code and issue tracker)

Cofounder and CEO
ifPeople - Innovation for People
www.ifpeople.net
t: 678-608-3408
130 Boulevard NE, #6
Atlanta, GA 30312

Hannes Calitz

Nov 30, 2009, 1:29:53 AM11/30/09
to getpa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christopher

Well, as the original configuration (that was half way written, but not implemented) only allowed for the symbol to be changed, I didn't really look into multi-currency configurations. As mentioned before, this bit was never intended for currency conversion, but merely to assist in localization by allowing the currency symbol to change and set whether said symbol should be before or after the pricing values.

Hope this answers your questions. :)

Christopher Johnson

Nov 30, 2009, 9:56:55 PM11/30/09
to getpa...@googlegroups.com