Google web history (search query) scraper

Bryan Bishop

Jan 20, 2010, 11:50:08 AM1/20/10
to get-t...@googlegroups.com, kan...@gmail.com
Hey all,

I don't know where to announce this and figure some of you might find
it useful. In my case, I had 46,000 search queries logged on Google,
and I guess it's about time to make sure there's a backup that I have
access to.

http://heybryan.org/~bbishop/docs/google-web-history-scraper.py

I haven't written the parser yet.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Bryan Bishop

Jan 20, 2010, 12:00:17 PM1/20/10
to Simson Garfinkel, kan...@gmail.com, get-t...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Simson Garfinkel wrote:
> Thanks for sending this out.

:-) No problem. This data is going to be so fun and interesting to process.

> Question: Why did you use pycurl and not urllib2?

No particular reason. I have used urllib2 in the past and I have
nothing against it. For some reason I have been using pycurl more
frequently, but I don't know why.

Bryan Bishop

Jan 20, 2010, 3:53:13 PM1/20/10
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Simson Garfinkel wrote:
> One of the problems with pycurl is that it is not part of the standard release, so it needs to be downloaded separately.

Ah, I guess I forgot about that. Yes, that makes sense. I'll try to
amend my ways in the near future, be a little more standard :-).