translating addresses to geopoint

Lukasz Szybalski

Sep 22, 2008, 11:52:30 AM9/22/08
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I was wondering where can I find a data that would translate my
address into a geo point.

I see that everyblock is doing it somehow....
http://chicago.everyblock.com/locations/zipcodes/60630/#widermap

How is that done, where can I get fee data on translating address to geo point.

Thanks,
Lucas

--
Python and OpenOffice documents and templates
http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/OpenOffice

Josh Tauberer

Sep 22, 2008, 12:02:59 PM9/22/08
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> I was wondering where can I find a data that would translate my
> address into a geo point.
>
> I see that everyblock is doing it somehow....
> http://chicago.everyblock.com/locations/zipcodes/60630/#widermap
>
> How is that done, where can I get fee data on translating address to geo point.

See http://geocoder.us/.

Josh

raffaele messuti

Sep 23, 2008, 5:31:44 AM9/23/08
to get-t...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 22, 2008, at 6:02 PM, Josh Tauberer wrote:
>> How is that done, where can I get fee data on translating address
>> to geo point.
>
> See http://geocoder.us/.

someone knows something like this for european addresses?
i'm thinking to scrape from http://www.getlatlon.com

ciao

--
<raff...@atomotic.com> [0x39C336BC]

Jay Luker

Sep 23, 2008, 6:30:44 AM9/23/08
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
The geopy page lists a good collection of available services:
http://exogen.case.edu/projects/geopy/

--jay

Lukasz Szybalski

Sep 23, 2008, 9:07:13 AM9/23/08
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 5:30 AM, Jay Luker <jay....@gmail.com> wrote:

> The geopy page lists a good collection of available services:
> http://exogen.case.edu/projects/geopy/

This is good. They have a py interface for geocoder.us whic I was
going to use. !!!

Thanks,
Lucas

Philip (flip) Kromer

Sep 28, 2008, 9:03:37 PM9/28/08
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
Summarizing, and adding a few more:
... Address & Other Geocoding

mkwon...@hotmail.com

Oct 21, 2008, 4:44:49 AM10/21/08
to get.theinfo
IP Address Geolocation
http://www.ip2location.com

ZIP Code Geolocation
http://www.zipcodeworld.com

GIS Geolocation
http://www.geodatasource.com

Peter Harkins

Oct 23, 2008, 11:50:35 AM10/23/08
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 01:44:49AM -0700, mkwon...@hotmail.com wrote:
> IP Address Geolocation
> http://www.ip2location.com

By the way, this is a decent data product, but all of their example code
is horrific. If you plan to buy from them, schedule time to write your
own. It's basically fixed-length records with a string table at the end,
so very easy. And if you want a pure Ruby implementation, drop me a note.

--
Peter Harkins - http://push.cx - http://NearbyGamers.com

Philip (flip) Kromer

Jan 15, 2009, 9:28:50 AM1/15/09
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
Geonames has released their Postal Code DB's in bulk under CC-BY:
Kickass.

flip
On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 2:44 AM, mkwon...@hotmail.com <mkwon...@hotmail.com> wrote:

IP Address Geolocation
http://www.ip2location.com

Jonathan Gray

Jan 15, 2009, 7:20:36 PM1/15/09
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
This all looks great!

While we've got package pages for many of these - I'll try and make
sure they all get added to CKAN. Perhaps tagged 'postcode' and 'zip'.

I also just came across this, for the UK:

http://edwardbetts.com/postboxes/
http://edwardbetts.com/postoffices/

Jonathan

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Philip (flip) Kromer

Philip (Flip) Kromer

Jan 15, 2009, 7:25:01 PM1/15/09
to get-t...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Jonathan Gray <jonath...@okfn.org> wrote:

This all looks great!

While we've got package pages for many of these - I'll try and make
sure they all get added to CKAN. Perhaps tagged 'postcode' and 'zip'.

I also just came across this, for the UK:

 http://edwardbetts.com/postboxes/
 http://edwardbetts.com/postoffices/

Jonathan

Isn't that awesome?  He's on the list, I believe (if so, Hi!).  The train schedules are great too; if anyone needs a master class in extracting semantic data from PDFs browse his source code.

spencer

Jan 16, 2009, 10:51:39 AM1/16/09
to get.theinfo
hey everyone, google maps has a geocoder with their google maps api
(http://code.google.com/apis/maps/ )
and to get coordinates from there is a quick javascipt away
( javascript:void(prompt('',"{{coord|"%20+%20gApplication.getMap
().getCenter().lat()%20+%20"|"%20+%20gApplication.getMap().getCenter

or something like that.

dont tell anyone that you scrape yourself.
cheers