Large Data

Chris K Wensel

Jun 16, 2008, 4:34:43 PM6/16/08
to get.theinfo
Hey all

I'm considering benchmarking some clustered data processing tools. And
am in need of a nice huge dataset that is reasonably interesting, and
preferably publicly available.

Obviously I could just crawl the web and make a large collection of
pages. But I'd rather do something a little different, if possible.

Some examples would be the AOL logs, but they are a bit small (only .
5G compressed). Tim Bray has 64G of (I think compressed) apache logs
(search for his widefinder posts), but he has no plans to share. But
neither of those are terribly interesting (except the later could be
compared to his multi-core benchmarking).

So, any known interesting really large datasets lying around out there?

ckw

--
Chris K Wensel
ch...@wensel.net

Aaron Swartz

Jun 16, 2008, 4:37:54 PM6/16/08
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
bulk.resource.org usually has some interesting large data sets...

Matt Wood

Jun 17, 2008, 4:29:06 AM6/17/08
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The various genome projects house some pretty large data sets too.

Most of these are publicly available for download:
http://www.ensembl.org/info/downloads/index.html

Hope that helps,

~ Matt

Lukasz Szybalski

Jun 17, 2008, 9:58:26 AM6/17/08
to get-t...@googlegroups.com

Chris K Wensel

Jun 17, 2008, 3:53:38 PM6/17/08
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
thanks all.

Rufus Pollock

Jun 26, 2008, 8:40:22 AM6/26/08
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
Missed this when it first came through but here are all the 'packages'
on CKAN tagged with size-large:

<http://www.ckan.net/tag/read/size-large>

May be useful.

Regards,

Rufus

Philip (flip) Kromer

Jun 26, 2008, 3:50:56 PM6/26/08
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
Bunch of junk piled here:
http://infochimp.info/ics/huge/
http://infochimp.info/ics/data/

Three great blog corpus datasets:
http://stuff.metafilter.com/infodump/
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=213891
http://www.cs.biu.ac.il/~koppel/BlogCorpus.htm

Daylife and Flickr both have open APIs; from talking to people at each
they don't mind how broadly you spider as long as you respect their
request rate (i.e. don't hammer 5 reqs/second for a week, that
they'll notice and mind.)

Enron email database:
http://bailando.sims.berkeley.edu/enron_email.html
I've heard that some people have the MediaDefender email database
(http://torrentfreak.com/mediadefender-emails-leaked-070915/ ) If
you're interested please email me, maybe I know one of them. There
are also a variety of public mailing list archive tarballs out there
-- linux kernel, etc.

If you want a great big pile of Server logs see
http://waxy.org/2008/05/star_wars_kid_the_data_dump/

flip

--
http://www.infochimps.org
Connected Open Free Data

Joseph Turian

Jun 26, 2008, 5:26:36 PM6/26/08
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
If you are interested in text corpora, you can also use the WAC
(web-as-corpora) datasets.
I forget the exact URL, but http://www.drni.de/wac-tk/ should be a
start. The SIGWAC chair sent me the datasets a while ago.

Another example is Wikipedia. Collobert and Weston (2008) induce good
low-dimensional vector representations for words using Wikipedia
(snowbird.djvuzone.org/abstracts/158.pdf + forthcoming work).
Visualizing these embeddings would be interesting.

--
Academic: http://www-etud.iro.umontreal.ca/~turian/
Business: http://www.metaoptimize.com/