GPS responds slowly

GeoScout support

Mar 15, 2009, 4:39:13 AM3/15/09
to GeoScout
A few people still do not seem to realise that some GPS devices are
configured to ignore small changes in position (i.e. at walking
pace). This will manifest itself as a "sticky" GPS position which
seems to lag behind your movements, especially when moving slowly
towards the final elusive hiding place.

If your GPS uses the SiRF chipset it is possible that you are using a
feature called Static Navigation, which is intended to help removing
any drift (small variations of the position) while you are not
actually moving. There are a number of software utilities that you can
use to configure this. I suggest Memory-Map SiRF Setup. Install it
like any other PPC application. You must check that you do not have
any GPS applications running before using this application via Start
\Settings\System\Memory\Running Apps. When you run the application,
you should select the appropriate COM Port and Baud Rate and then tap
the "Turn SN off" button. If you receive an acknowledgment message
then your GPS is configured.

If anyone knows how to configure other GPS devices, please ley me know
so I can update the FAQ for GeoScout.

eastlands

Mar 19, 2009, 5:58:36 PM3/19/09
to GeoScout
I have also found this link http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=328 which
explains how to change the registry setting for the HTC Kaiser (see
below). This may work for other HTC devices, but use at your own
risk!

Open your favourite registry editor, and search for

HKLM\Software\HTC\SUPL AGPS\GPSMode

Mine was set to “2″, and I got the bad behavior when slowly walking or
geocaching.
Switching it to “1″ led the GPSr to send each position without
modifications or smoothing directly to the internal com port: Perfect!
Now my Kaiser can really replace the old Wizard with external SirfIII-
GPS!

Matdeta

Mar 20, 2009, 3:47:25 AM3/20/09
to GeoScout
Hi!

can someone explain how to do this?

FinMaky

Mar 24, 2009, 7:36:16 AM3/24/09
to GeoScout
I can confirm that this works also with HTC touch diamond. When you
get from compass to "dancing around cache" screen, you location is
updated constantly, not standing still until you move at certain speed
or distance as before. Notice that its still gps and that means that
location can stay still when you move or move when you stand still as
satellites visibility changes, but most of the time moving one step
reflects to the screen.

The way to do this is below but disclaimer first. DO NOT change
registry settings unless you know what you are doing. You can make
your phone unusable! (but if you do only this one change carefully,
you dont break anything)

Download registry editor. http://www2r.biglobe.ne.jp/~tascal/download/pocketpc/tre_e.htm
is one I use for this example. Its free to use. So download and run
setup.exe witch install TRE to you device. (If you have it connected
to your computer with active sync)
Run TRE
It opens window with registry. Press + from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and
there on press + from software and then htc. Select SUPL AGPS.
Now you get values to lower part of your screen. First in the list is
the one you want to change. GPSMode. Select it.
From down choose Edit and there Modify.
You get to window named Edit DWORD Value. In the middle you have Value
data: witch reads 2 and you change this to 1. (Base has Hexadecimal or
Desimal selected, it does not matter in this case). Press the ok
button DOWN in left corner. You get back to previous screen and you
can see that the value has changed.
Now you can close the TRE program and your done.
I do not know if this setting activates instantly or do you need to
reboot your phone. (You know turn off power and on again)

t. FinMaky (allso my geocache account name)

ps. Thank you for this software. I bought it. Have used it for about
30 caches and couple of coins and tags now.

Tyfting

Apr 2, 2009, 5:37:19 PM4/2/09
to GeoScout
This only works if you have the sirf chipset

Matdeta

Apr 3, 2009, 9:13:47 AM4/3/09
to GeoScout
I have now changed this and will try i later. Thanks for helping!

/Matdeta