[GeoNames] European Union and hierarchy

Alexander Sidorov

May 9, 2010, 7:55:51 PM5/9/10
to GeoNames
Hello!

Why is European Union not a part of european countries' hierarchy?

Regards,
Alexander

Prateek

May 10, 2010, 12:23:57 AM5/10/10
to geon...@googlegroups.com, Alexander Sidorov
Hi Alexander,
                   I am just *guessing*, Marc and other guys can correct me if I am wrong. European Union is a political union of countries, following common currency and other political treaties. If EU is given a spot in the hierarchy it will call for giving other political/economical alliances such as United Nations,G-20, WTO, ASEAN, OIC and such in the hierarchy of  the respective countries. I think these organizations probably are not the best fit in geographical/administrative hierarchy. IMHO, If they have to be included in the hierarchy, they probably require to be included at the level of the country in the ontology with a property such as "memberOfOrganization".

Thanks,

Regards

Prateek
--
Prateek Jain
PhD Student, Research Assistant

Marc Wick

May 10, 2010, 2:00:38 AM5/10/10
to geon...@googlegroups.com
Alexander

The European Union is just an organization like many others. A country
can be part of many different kind of organizations, there are some
works (you have already seen a file called hierarchy in the dump) to
make it possible to maintain arbitrary dependencies between toponyms.
The EU will be one of many such dependencies.

Best

Marc

Bernard Vatant

May 10, 2010, 4:30:26 AM5/10/10
to geonames, alexidsa, Marc Wick, Caterina Caracciolo
Hi all

Geonames does not capture in full details the complexity of various and overlapping country organizations. You can find that in the excellent FAO geopolitical ontology at http://www.fao.org/countryprofiles/webservices.asp, of which Caterina in cc is more or less the manager (she'll correct me if I am wrong).
Actually it would be great to have mappings between FAO and Geonames identifiers for countries at least. Given that both are mapped to the ISO 2-letters codes, should not be too difficult.

Caterina, would it be an issue to add geonames ids to FAO geopolitical entities?

Bernard

2010/5/10 Marc Wick <ma...@geonames.org>

--
Bernard Vatant
Senior Consultant

Alexander Sidorov

May 10, 2010, 10:46:07 AM5/10/10
to geon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marc,

Could you please share more information about the hierarchy. As I remember there were not only countries but A.ADM1 too. As A.ADM1 elements are always part of specific country, I have no idea why do we need it here.

Regards,
Alexander

Alexander Sidorov

May 10, 2010, 11:13:53 AM5/10/10
to Bernard Vatant, geonames, Marc Wick, Caterina Caracciolo
Hi Bernard,

FAO ontology looks very promising. I think having mapping between GeoNames and FAO countries would be very useful. But in my opinion it would be more useful to have FAO instances as objects of GeoNames parentFeature predicate (I'm not sure whether it is possible to implement declaratively using OWL). This way GeoNames transitive hierarchy would be enriched with FAO country groups.

Regards,
Alexander

Marc Wick

May 11, 2010, 12:23:45 AM5/11/10
to geon...@googlegroups.com
Alexander

Anything can be related to anything. There could be a two groups of
German Bundesländer for instance, one for the (former) east and one for
the west. Or the group of all hotels belonging to this or that hotel chain.
What you are asking for is to model a hierarchy or group outside of the
continent, country, province,... hierarchy.

Cheers

Marc