new flag "short name"

1 view

Marc

May 18, 2007, 3:41:47 PM5/18/07
to geon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everybody

The edit interface for alternate names has a new flag 's' for short
names. The flag helps to mark short names like 'Andalucía' and
distinguish them from long and official names like 'Comunidad Autónoma
de Andalucía'. In order to add this new flag to the dump we will have
to change the format and add a new boolean column. This change will take
effect next Wednesday 23 May. The flag has been populated with the fips
names for administrative divisions.

Some of you have already noticed we have started to include translate
names of administrative divisions in the web service results when you
use the "lang" parameter. (given we have a translation in this language
of course)

I have created a spreadsheet for languages spoken in administrative
divisions. Do you know administrative divisions where other languages
are spoken than in the rest of the country? Please add them to the list
: http://www.editgrid.com/user/geonames/adm1Lang

The label 'isOfficialName' has been changed to 'isPreferredName' to
better reflect the aim and intention of the flag.

Cheers

Marc