linking to tagzania

Marc

Mar 4, 2006, 11:20:25 AM3/4/06
to tagz...@googlegroups.com, geon...@googlegroups.com
>And the Near URL can be constructed with the following logic:
>**www.tagzania.com/near/lat/lon/**
<http://www.tagzania.com/near/lat/lon/**> with latitude and longitude
given in
>decimal numbers. For instance:
>- http://www.tagzania.com/near/51.45/-0.05/

Geonames is now making use of this new linking feature to tagzania. You
find the link on the editing interface (googlemaps) right over the main
map window.

Enjoy,

Marc

Tagzania i18n

Mar 6, 2006, 2:36:54 AM3/6/06
to geon...@googlegroups.com

Geonames is now making use of this new linking feature to tagzania. You
find the link on the editing interface (googlemaps) right over the main
map window.

Thank you very much.

BTW, you did hid the map-sat-hybrid options of the Google Maps, didn't you?

We set up a page with an example from Scotland here,
that now is not possible to reproduce, as there's no way to get the map view.

Is this in relation with the false map tricks that copyright map providers do plant on their imagery?
(some examples of that here:

Luistxo

Marc

Mar 6, 2006, 2:49:03 AM3/6/06
to geon...@googlegroups.com

> BTW, you did hid the map-sat-hybrid options of the Google Maps, didn't
> you?
>
> We set up a page with an example from Scotland here,
> http://www.tagzania.com/doc/about/placenames
> that now is not possible to reproduce, as there's no way to get the
> map view.
>
> Is this in relation with the false map tricks that copyright map
> providers do plant on their imagery?
> (some examples of that here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Copyright_Easter_Eggs )

Yes, I had to remove the map options. A user from the UK pointed out
that the combination of the maps and the geonames editing interface
could lead to legal problems. So I removed the maps and hybrids to be on
the save side. In most countries it doesn't make a difference as there
are no street maps anyhow.

Marc

BarryB...@googlemail.com

Mar 7, 2006, 5:59:21 PM3/7/06
to geonames
> A user from the UK pointed out
> that the combination of the maps and the geonames editing interface
> could lead to legal problems.

That was me, sorry to ruin the party. If geonames becomes a success
(and I hope it will) then the source of the data is probably going to
come under close scurtininy if it becomes a rival for commercial
services, and best to avoid potential problems... The easter eggs are
one way of tracking, but with the google interface in plain view on the
website its going to be hard to prove otherwise.

For GB have plans to use out of copyright maps for the same purpose,
and Marc has kindly agreed to work together on this.

On a lighter note, have added links to both tagzania (looking very
nice!) and the goenames editor to my coordinate links and convertor
here: http://www.nearby.org.uk/coord.cgi :)

Barry

- www.nearby.org.uk - www.geograph.org.uk - www.trigtools.co.uk -