Metar Weather

noi...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2006, 5:29:29 PM3/3/06
to geonames
Hello,

I'm using geonames Metar Weather JSON Service
to display latest weather info on a Google Map.

http://exploreourpla.net/?page_id=19&geoLink=999&plc=true&wea=true

Currently all weather icons link to the detail page
of the native Internet Weather Service.

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/LSZH.html

Is it possible for you to include the detailed Information
from the table (Temperature, Wind, etc.) there into the JSON data
packet,
so the information could be displayed without linking to external site?

An alternative approach could be a JSON request for a single ICAO code.

I think it is a good idea to avoid hammering the weather.gov site from
all independent sites using your service.

Regards

--
noiv

Marc

Mar 4, 2006, 8:00:54 AM3/4/06
to geon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Noiv

>Is it possible for you to include the detailed Information
>from the table (Temperature, Wind, etc.) there into the JSON data
>packet,

I am still looking for a good parser written in java. The most promising
I found so far is :
http://www.feldt.com/work/projects/metar/

Unfortunately it throws a couple of exceptions. Would you like to have a
look at it and fix the problems? Or do you know of a better java parser?

An other open issue is the translation into text. The web service should
have a language parameter and the parser should translate it into some
meaningful text.
Example from your link : mostly cloudy, Light snow,...

>An alternative approach could be a JSON request for a single ICAO code.

This service is already implemented and deployed on the development server :
http://dev.geonames.org/weatherIcaoJSON?ICAO=LSZH

As for the other service the metar observation is not yet parsed.

Regards

Marc

Marc

Mar 5, 2006, 11:52:02 AM3/5/06
to geon...@googlegroups.com
A first version of a metar weather decoder is now implemented.

http://ws.geonames.org/weatherIcaoJSON?ICAO=LSZH

The service accepts a language parameter "lang". English is currently
the only supported language. (All other languages fall back to English)

Any help in the translation is welcome. The codes used are here :

http://forum.geonames.org/gforum/posts/list/28.page

Regards

Marc

noi...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2006, 7:22:47 PM3/19/06
to geonames
Hi Marc,

many thanks for this great service.

The Metar info data is quite fast and makes a nice
AJAX service now. Parsed data is reliable
and an interesting source of information.

Translation to it, fr, de, pl, and fi has started.

--
noiv - ExploreOurPla.net