problems updating and adding details

getoihog

Jan 25, 2009, 10:02:06 AM1/25/09
to GeoNames, g.vas...@gmail.com
Hi all,

I am trying to correct some mistakes for some areas and also to add
some beaches but there is a problem. The ADM1 details of them are not
updated correctly and are shown as GR.undefined (GR because they are
in Greece) although I have chosen a valid AMD1 element. To see what I
mean, check these two search pages:

http://www.geonames.org/search.html?q=ADM2&country=GR

and

http://www.geonames.org/advanced-search.html?q=beach&country=GR&featureClass=T&continentCode=

Thanks in advance.

George.

Marc Wick

Jan 25, 2009, 11:04:11 AM1/25/09
to geon...@googlegroups.com, g.vas...@gmail.com
Hi George

The problem is that the adm1 elements for Greece are missing a admin1
code. Do you know which code would make sense to be used? Does the
National Statistical Service of Greece have codes for these regions?

Best

Marc

getoihog

Jan 25, 2009, 11:42:30 AM1/25/09
to GeoNames
Hi Marc,

Thanks for your response.

The region codes are described in the ISO 3166-2 standard but someone
has to pay to see the standard. So, I found another way to find them.
The website below has the region codes for all regions according to
this standard. Use the filter to find the ones for Greece. The link
is:

http://www.commondatahub.com/live/geography/state_province_region/iso_3166_2_state_codes

I hope that helps.

Regards,
George.
> >http://www.geonames.org/advanced-search.html?q=beach&country=GR&featu...
>
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> > George.

Marc Wick

Jan 25, 2009, 4:07:41 PM1/25/09
to geon...@googlegroups.com
George

The ISO codes seem to be more what we have on admin2. I think you have
defined the admin1. What concept are they referring to?
http://www.geonames.org/search.html?q=adm1&country=GR

Marc

getoihog

Jan 25, 2009, 6:10:56 PM1/25/09
to GeoNames
Marc,

Typically, Greece is devided in regions in the same way we did with
admin1 and admin2, as they are now in geonames.org. However, you are
right, the ISO codes are what is now set as admin2. Since I believe
you are trying to make something officially right, I suggest we stick
to the ISO codes. This means that you should delete admin1 indeces and
upgrade admin2 indexes to be admin1 and admin3 to be admin2.

Regards,
George

On Jan 25, 11:07 pm, Marc Wick <m...@geonames.org> wrote:
> George
>
> The ISO codes seem to be more what we have on admin2. I think you have
> defined the admin1. What concept are they referring to?http://www.geonames.org/search.html?q=adm1&country=GR
>
> Marc
>
> getoihog wrote:
> > Hi Marc,
>
> > Thanks for your response.
>
> > The region codes are described in the ISO 3166-2 standard but someone
> > has to pay to see the standard. So, I found another way to find them.
> > The website below has the region codes for all regions according to
> > this standard. Use the filter to find the ones for Greece. The link
> > is:
>
> >http://www.commondatahub.com/live/geography/state_province_region/iso...

tilaphos

Jan 26, 2009, 6:24:33 AM1/26/09
to geon...@googlegroups.com
George and Mark

According to the 1998 "Kapodistrias I" restructure plan, there are 4
administrative divisions, if I am not mistaken: these are Region
(Periphereia), Prefecture (Nomos), Municipality (Demos), Municipal
District (Demotiko diamerisma), as they appear in the documents of the
National Statistical Service of Greece (ESYE).

ESYE has assigned codes for Regions (ADM1) (e.g.
http://www.statistics.gr/gr_tables/S1101_SAP_1_TB_DC_01_02_Y.pdf )
however these codes do not usually appear in their documents.

Therefore I believe it would be wrong to shift ADM2 to ADM1 e.t.c.

Dimitrios
http://tilaphos.blogspot.com

getoihog

Jan 26, 2009, 3:36:27 PM1/26/09
to GeoNames
Marc,

I believe Dimitrios is right. This pdf is indeed specifying the adm1
codes for Greece. They may not be included in the ISO standard at this
point but that must be because this is a relatively recent restructure
of Greek regions. The National Statistical Service of Greece is an
official government agency and hence their documents are official
documents of the Greek government. This is also indicated by the fact
that the adm2 codes of this document are the same as the one specified
in the ISO standard.

However, this document is in Greek and I believe is of no use to you!
So, I have translated the adm1 codes for you. The codes are:

Epirus 21

Peloponnese 25

Thessaly 14

Attica 31

Central Greece 24

Central Macedonia 12

South Aegean 42

West Greece 23

West Macedonia 13

North Aegean 41

Ionian Islands 22

Crete 43

East Macedonia and Thrace 11

George.

On Jan 26, 1:24 pm, tilaphos <tilap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> George and Mark
>
> According to the 1998 "Kapodistrias I" restructure plan, there are 4
> administrative divisions, if I am not mistaken: these are Region
> (Periphereia), Prefecture (Nomos), Municipality (Demos), Municipal
> District (Demotiko diamerisma), as they appear in the documents of the
> National Statistical Service of Greece (ESYE).
>
> ESYE has assigned codes for Regions (ADM1) (e.g.http://www.statistics.gr/gr_tables/S1101_SAP_1_TB_DC_01_02_Y.pdf)
> however these codes do not usually appear in their documents.
>
> Therefore I believe it would be wrong to shift ADM2 to ADM1 e.t.c.
>
> Dimitrioshttp://tilaphos.blogspot.com

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

getoihog

Jan 30, 2009, 4:04:10 AM1/30/09
to GeoNames
Marc,

I can see that the adm1 regions of Greece still don't have a code. Are
you soon going to update these details? In case you are too busy, can
these changes be done by a normal user? If yes, how can I do it.

Regards,
George

On Jan 26, 8:36 pm, getoihog <george.tichogior...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> [...]

Marc Wick

Feb 1, 2009, 12:37:45 AM2/1/09
to geon...@googlegroups.com
Hi George

I have added the admin1 codes with the prefix ESYE to avoid confusion
with the fips or iso codes.

Best

Marc

getoihog

Feb 10, 2009, 4:33:20 AM2/10/09
to GeoNames
Thank you Marc.

I will let you know if we have any more problems with that.

Regards,
George

getoihog

Apr 6, 2009, 6:43:40 PM4/6/09
to GeoNames
Hello Marc,

We have noticed some more problems with the admin1 codes in Greece.

First, I think that you need to upgrade me to user level 2 in order to
be able to update the admin1 codes of the beaches currently defined.

Then, we have a problem when we create new beaches in Greece and set
the correct admin1 code on the website. Although the website shows the
right admi1 code and name, the json answer for a request for the same
beach still says undefined. For example, see the JSON answer I get for
beach kalamitsi:

{'fcode': 'BCH', 'name': 'Kalamitsi beach', 'countryCode': 'GR',
'fcodeName': 'beach', 'geonameId': 6930121, 'fcl': 'T', 'fclName':
'mountain,hill,rock,... ', 'adminName3': '', 'countryName': 'Greece',
'adminName1': 'GR.undefined', 'lat': 36.880912181542101, 'timezone':
{'timeZoneId': 'Europe/Athens', 'dstOffset': 3, 'gmtOffset': 2},
'lng': 22.2389030456543, 'population': 0, 'adminName2': '',
'adminCode1': 'undefined', 'adminName4': ''}

Any idea why this is happening?

Regards,
George

> - Εμφάνιση κειμένου σε παράθεση -

Israel David

Apr 7, 2009, 9:42:34 AM4/7/09
to geon...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I'm learning Drupal and would like to use Geonames for my project.

1) Is there a tutorial or guide for installation ? from my first try, the API is not yet a plug n play.
2) Is there a tutorial for configuring and using the web services?

3) could you please everyone send a link of your Drupal/Geonames site to see the possibilities? kind of a geo site gallery..

Many thanks for your help,
Dave

Marc Wick

Apr 12, 2009, 4:16:39 AM4/12/09
to geon...@googlegroups.com
Hi George

I have increased your userlevel. The web services are not running on the
same server where you do the updates. There is a synchronization message
queue to update all other servers. Sometimes this gets out of sync. In
particular with manual updates directly on the database. I have copied
the entire database and the search index to that server and it should be
alright now.

Best

Marc

getoihog

Apr 22, 2009, 4:53:46 PM4/22/09
to GeoNames
Hi marc,

Thank you for your help. One question though: When I make changes to
the adm1 codes are they going to be updated now to all servers
automatically at the same time or do I need to tell you to update them
manually or just wait some days to be updated automatically?

Best regards,
George

Marc Wick

Apr 24, 2009, 1:53:16 AM4/24/09
to geon...@googlegroups.com
Hi George

Changes over the user interface are propagated automatically, unless an
exception prevents it.