country name encoding

Marc

Oct 3, 2006, 2:01:09 PM10/3/06
to geon...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Christian has raised an interesting question in the German Geonames forum :
http://forum.geonames.org/gforum/posts/list/79.page#911

The current xml country name encoding returned by the webservices does
not allow for multiple country names of a toponym. In order to be able
to encode the country names for a toponym covering multiple countries
(like the river Rhine for example) and also for country names in
multiple languages a more complex encoding is needed :

<country code="DE">
<countryName lang="de">Deutschland</countryName>
<countryName lang="en">Germany</countryName>
</country>

Sooner or later we might also want to encode additional information like
'is official name', 'is short name', 'is long name', 'is colloquial
name', ...

All coments are welcome.

Regards

Marc

Daniel Zeman

Oct 3, 2006, 2:17:44 PM10/3/06
to geon...@googlegroups.com
Marc napsal(a):

> Sooner or later we might also want to encode additional information like
> 'is official name', 'is short name', 'is long name', 'is colloquial
> name', ...

No doubt all this would be useful. Also, some alternative names are in
the same language but different ortography and/or transliteration. Would
apply to traditional/simplified Chinese and the scale of known
romanization schemes. Then, attributes like "sublanguage=pinyin" might
be useful.

Dan

(snide stagiaire) Mathieu COUDERT

Oct 5, 2006, 9:52:33 AM10/5/06
to geon...@googlegroups.com, f...@oieau.fr

Hi all,

I'm glad to annouce you the use of the Geonames Database in several projects
within the framework CartoWeb.

You can have demo of this use at:
French demo project:
http://sandre.eaufrance.fr/geoviewer2/
or
Italian demo project:
http://sandre.eaufrance.fr/geoviewer2/client.php?project=demoPlugins&reset_session

I hope this use will contribuate to make Geonames known, particularly in
France and in Europe.

Thanks for your help Marc during the implementation,
Keep up the good work,

Mathieu C.

Office International de l'EAU
Web : http://www.oieau.fr

--
Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner pour des virus ou des polluriels et rien de suspect n'a ete trouve.

Les donnees et renseignements contenus dans ce message sont personnels, confidentiels et prives. Toute publication, utilisation ou diffusion, meme partielle, doit etre autorisee.

Any data and information contained in this electronic mail is personal, confidential and secret. Any total or partial publication, use or distribution must be authorized.