New Article on Aerosols and South Asian Monsoons in Science

Wil Burns

Oct 27, 2011, 10:50:17 PM10/27/11
to geoengineering
Anthropogenic Aerosols and the Weakening of the South Asian Summer Monsoon, Massimo A. Bollasina et al.
Changes in monsoon rainfall are caused by human-produced aerosols slowing the tropical atmospheric circulation.
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/334/6055/502

Dr. Wil Burns, Associate Director
Master of Science - Energy Policy & Climate Program
Johns Hopkins University
1717 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Room 104J
Washington, DC  20036
202.663.5976 (Office phone)
650.281.9126 (Mobile)
wbu...@jhu.edu
http://advanced.jhu.edu/academic/environmental/master-of-science-in-energy-policy-and-climate/index.html
SSRN site (selected publications): http://ssrn.com/author=240348

Skype ID: Wil.Burns

Teaching Climate/Energy Law & Policy Blog: http://www.teachingclimatelaw.org

John Gorman

Dec 8, 2011, 5:28:28 AM12/8/11
to william...@gmail.com, geoengineering

I am surprised that this post didn't get any replies. It seemed rather important to me because reduction in the Indian monsoon has always been one of the arguments against stratospheric aerosol. (Together with damage to the ozone layer) My answer has always been that the Indian monsoon has already reduced considerably over the last 30 years probably due to some aspect of global warming

The paper was quite difficult for a non climate scientist but the conclusion seems to be that global warming alone would probably increase the Indian monsoon but that industrial smog over Asia (aka tropospheric aerosol) disturbs the North-South circulation between the northern and southern hemispheres leading to a reduction.

An early solution to the industrial smog problem in Asia is probably as unlikely as an early reduction in CO2 emissions. So maybe global stratospheric aerosol plans should start by offering a solution to the problem of the Indian monsoon reduction as well as giving an overall reduction in global warming. Maybe the same climate models that produced this conclusion could be used to produce a suitable geoengineering plan.

Regards

John Gorman

Ken Caldeira

Dec 10, 2011, 10:36:39 AM12/10/11
to gor...@waitrose.com, william...@gmail.com, geoengineering
I agree that this paper is interesting and relevant.

It suggests to me that it possible that tropospheric aerosols (or possibly cloud whitening or even ocean pumps) over the Indian ocean might increase rainfall over Asia.

Not only is this of scientific interest, but if regional climate modification are possible and are expected to produce results that people like, then this it would be easier for me to imagine coming to a regional rather than global decision to engage in a deployment (although there would of course be some distal effects).

Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
+1 650 704 7212 kcal...@carnegie.stanford.edu
http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira
Bollasina_et_al_Science2011.pdf