The great experiment is started

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Juergen Michele

Jul 24, 2011, 10:15:43 AM7/24/11
to geoengineering, David Keith, Juergen Michele, Daniel Kirk-Davidoff, globalchange@mi t
The great experiment is started

This group is discussing moral, economic, feasibility aspects etc. of
geoengineering in detail.

But the �big geoengineering experiment� is already on its way.

Nobody has asked UN, IPCC or ETC Group or any government.
Because it is �green� technology there is no need to discuss the outcomes.

I am talking about �wind farms� and Germany is leading the way.

There are already modellers developing climate models, which include wind
energy generation facilities as local roughness. They find that larger
wind farms may change the �local weather�. So this may be then the �big
butterfly� to modify the chaotic weather system and finally also interfere
with our climate.

I found a spot close to the town of �Norden� (Ostfriesland, Germany) on
the �rain radar�, where rain is generated, when in the 100km surrounding
there is no rain at all. It may even stay locally for hours. This is not
the case in a normal weather situation. Fronts are moving.

�Norden� lies in the area with the highest wind farm density (several 5MW
installations) in Germany.

Details are given in the attached document.

Juergen Michele

--
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Juergen Michele
Jade Hochschule

Tel.: 0049 4461 83043
E-Mail: juergen...@jade-hs.de
Homepage: http://staff.fh-oow.de/michele/

Privat:
Soestestr. 3
26419 Schortens

More Rain for the Town of.pdf

hiroshi mizutani

Jul 24, 2011, 8:28:06 PM7/24/11
to geoengi...@googlegroups.com, David Keith, Juergen Michele, Daniel Kirk-Davidoff, globalchange@mi t
Hi Michele: I found your contribution extremely interesting.

A similar, though small in scale and not well documented, incident ocurred in Japan.

After wind turbines were set up near the top of a mountain in Wakayama Prefecture, rainfall at the foot of the mountain decreased; thus reducing the harvest of mandarin oranges from neighborhood farms.

I heartily agree with your view that the wind energy generation changes climate and is certainly one form of geoengineering.

Michael Hayes

Jul 24, 2011, 10:19:08 PM7/24/11
to mizuta...@gmail.com, geoengi...@googlegroups.com, David Keith, Juergen Michele, Daniel Kirk-Davidoff, globalchange@mi t
Hello Michele and Hiroshi,

Thanks for the work you shared. I have put some study effort into atmospheric electrical processes in general and, in particular, the Global Electrical Circuit (GEC) and the effect on cloud nucleation. You mentioned no additional heat source around Nordham. Beyond the kinetic action of the windmills, it may be the additional grounding effect of the windmills which may be causing an increase in cloud nucleation.

Taking electrical readings of the surface GEC of the Norden site may be interesting and wrth the effort. Here is the home page of Dr. Tensley who is one of the leading researchers in the field of atmospheric electrical processes as it relates to cloud nucleation. http://www.utdallas.edu/physics/faculty/tinsley.html

If you would like specific papers on the subject, please let me know.

Hiroshi has pointed out a reverse situation of rain reduction. From the basic physical description he provides (near the top of a mountain), disruption in the Mountain Wave effect may be something worth looking at. Here is a basic schematic of that phenomenon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vol_d%27onde.svg . Mountains are known to have an effect on the GEC and what Hiroshi is describing is most likely not GEC related but a simple kinetic effect on the Mountain Wave propagation.

Even if my suggestions are completely off the mark, the anomalies being described would seem to be more along the lines of local weather modification as opposed to large scale effect(s) of geoengineering. This is not to say that these effects could not be used in designing future GE systems. Each of these anomilies do point to an effect which could be built upon to produce wide regional effects.

Thank you and Hiroshi for bringing this 2 situations forward.

Michael

Michael Hayes

Eugene Gordon

Jul 25, 2011, 8:31:13 AM7/25/11
to mizuta...@gmail.com, geoengi...@googlegroups.com, David Keith, Juergen Michele, Daniel Kirk-Davidoff, globalchange@mi t

Here is a trivial point. I disagree that wind energy changes climate. Rather it influences weather locally. If one turns off the wind turbines presumably the weather is quickly restored to its normal state. Moreover the objective was to produce energy; and not to influence weather or climate.  I think to call wind energy generation geoengineering is stretching more than a bit and only confuses the objective.

Eugene Gordon

Jul 25, 2011, 8:35:41 AM7/25/11
to vogle...@gmail.com, mizuta...@gmail.com, geoengi...@googlegroups.com, David Keith, Juergen Michele, Daniel Kirk-Davidoff, globalchange@mi t

Well stated.

"Jürgen Michele"

Jul 25, 2011, 9:53:47 AM7/25/11
to Eugene Gordon, mizuta...@gmail.com, geoengi...@googlegroups.com, David Keith, Juergen Michele, Daniel Kirk-Davidoff, globalchange@mi t
A free jet can create clouds and rain ...

http://alamaro.home.comcast.net/~alamaro/WMA_April_2006.pdf

JOURNAL OF WEATHER MODIFICATION Volume 38

- Reviewed -
A Preliminary Assessment of Inducing Anthropogenic Tropical Cyclones Using
Compressible Free Jets and the Potential for Hurricane Mitigation
By: Moshe Alamaro1, Juergen Michele2 and Vladimir Pudov3
1 Research Affiliate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge,
Massachusetts, 02139
2 Professor, Institut f�r Energie-,Verfahrens- und Umwelttechnik,
Wilhelmshaven, Germany.
3 Research Scientist, Institute of Experimental Meteorology, Obninsk,
Kaluga reg., Russia.

Abstract.
We have conceptually studied the potential for mitigation of natural
hurricanes by inducing anthropogenic perturbations prior to or in front of
an advancing hurricane. We propose actual hardware for the task. It
consists of multiple jet engines mounted on barges or ships that will be
dispatched to strategic locations in the ocean where the sea surface
temperature is high and the vertical temperature profile and atmospheric
conditions are such that the potential for development of a hurricane or
tropical storm is high. The engines will direct compressible high
momentum,
high-speed free jets skyward causing entrainment of even larger amounts of
additional air to form plumes and updrafts. The unstable humid updraft
will itself produce conditions for additional entrainment and evolution of
tropical cyclones. These anthropogenic perturbations will extract enthalpy
from the ocean, cooling the ocean surface and depriving the advancing
natural hurricane of its needed thermal energy.

hiroshi mizutani

Jul 31, 2011, 12:27:20 AM7/31/11
to geoengi...@googlegroups.com, mizuta...@gmail.com, David Keith, Juergen Michele, Daniel Kirk-Davidoff, globalchange@mi t
Hi Gene

Sorry for my being slow in responding your comment.

I surely agree with you that, when the wind turbines were turned off, the weather would be quickly restored.

Rather, that we know very little is my point.

Unanticipated things happen.

And as such, I do not think we should limit ourselves in terms of objective, time, and space.

Hiroshi

James Fleming

Jul 31, 2011, 3:18:07 AM7/31/11
to mizuta...@gmail.com, geoengi...@googlegroups.com, globalchange@mi t
I agree with Hiroshi.  Weather and climate phenomena lie on a spatial-temporal continuum.

And when the wind turbines are turned off, not only will the weather be "restored," but the CFLs will go out -- or at least brown out!

James Fleming
STS Program
Colby College
5881 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME  04901
Ph: 207-859-5881
Fax: 207-859-5846
Web: web.colby.edu/jfleming

RAU greg

Aug 5, 2011, 2:18:08 PM8/5/11
to geoengi...@googlegroups.com
Russia may lose 30% of permafrost by 2050

(AFP) – Jul 29, 2011

MOSCOW — Russia's vast permafrost areas may shrink by a third by the middle of the century due to global warming, endangering infrastructure in the Arctic zone, an emergencies ministry official said Friday.

"In the next 25 to 30 years, the area of permafrost in Russia may shrink by 10-18 percent," the head of the ministry's disaster monitoring department Andrei Bolov told the RIA Novosti news agency.

"By the middle of the century, it can shrink by 15-30 percent, and the boundary of the permafrost may shift to the north-east by 150-200 kilometres," he said.

The temperature of the zones of frozen soil in oil and gas-rich western Siberia territories will rise by up to two degrees Celsius to just three or four degrees below zero, he predicted.

Permafrost, or soil that is permanently frozen, covers about 63 percent of Russia, but has been greatly affected by climate change in recent decades.

Continued thawing of permafrost threatens to destabilise transportation, building, and energy extraction infrastructure in Russia's colder regions.

"The negative impact of permafrost degradation on all above-ground transportation infrastructure is clear," Bolov added.

Scientists have said that permafrost thawing will set off another problem because the process will release massive amounts of greenhouse gas methane currently trapped in the frozen soil.