About Migration of Thick Multi Year Sea Ice from Lincoln Sea and Arctic Basin behind Canada to Beaufort and Chuckchi Seas. 19.12.2008

Albert Kallio

Jan 5, 2009, 11:14:41 AM1/5/09
to Geoengineering FIPC
Dear All,

Re: Arctic ice panic measures

I am drawing your attention to the very unfortunate situation.

I responded in December to some directly (as I did not want to overload the group with an incomplete work item).
However, my reply to Stephen Salter's e-mail "Arctic ice panic measures" in December is useful to this discussion.

We at FIPC said back in 2005 that the Arctic Ocean could become ice-free due to mechanical feedbacks taking hold and overtaking the more linear effects such as increased temperature and albedo changes with very abrupt change.

One of the abrupt changes we have been expecting seems to have quietly completed over the Seasonal festivities.

Background:

On the start of summer 2008 the residual multi-year sea ice (after 2007 melt season) appeared in a rough V-shape figure, its middle being filled by the 2007 formed ice.  That part of the V-shaped multi-year ice that faced the edge of the Atlantic Ocean disappeared in course of the 2008 summer (due to sea ice melting in situ or it drifting south).

The only part of the V-shaped multi-year sea ice cover that survived the 2008 summer rested along the periphery of the North American continent (where there has virtually always been a thick multi-year ice).  It is just here to where the Arctic Council's models predicted that the Arctic sea ice would ultimately retreat due to the linear progress of heat and albedo induced melt (before all ice even there would have to go sometime 2070-2100 (which smooth course of melting events we always at FIPC vehemently disputed).

The onset conditions for the recent loss of multi-year sea ice adjacent to Greenland and Nunavut Archipelago:

  • The cooling around the North Pole (and sea ice regrowth) on the high Arctic Basin began on last week of July.
  • Meanwhile, the Beaufort Sea, the Chuckchi Sea, the Bering Straigth and the East Siberian Sea remained open further two months and thinness (weakness) of sea ice prevailed in this region until December.

It seems us that the much earlier re-growth of new ice on high Arctic Basin was sufficient to wedge off the remaining multi-year sea ice from behind Greenland and the Nunavut Archipelago (Ellesmere Island, the Queen Elizabeth Islands) and force it to move into the ice-free (or wafer-thin seasonally formed recent ice).

In course of transportation, the residue of the remaining Arctic multi-year sea ice cover has travelled some 2,000 miles (3,000 km) and broakened up into some 10 large fragments occupying the Beaufort Sea, the Chuckchi Sea and the East Siberian sea, one of the fragments jamming into the Bering Straight itself.

I am enlosing the satellite images in the attachment and have circled in red the area where we think the residual multi-year ice has gone and broaken-up.

2009 Expectations:

The sea ice escape of the last multi-year ice from the high Arctic to the vicinity of the Bering Straight could be important because on our observations during 2007 a large multi-year fragment broke off and drifted to this area during 2008 summer.  Due to its thickeness and physical resilience, it stood long after all the surrounding recent seasonal ice had melted and finally disappearing in mid-August off the East Siberian sea. But all of it melted.

Although, 10 large multi-year sea ice fragments occupying this sea area might prove more resilient for melting, this area of the Arctic Ocean, near the Bering Straight, is the last part of the Arctic Ocean to start re-freezing, it also receives more sunshine and heat due to its more southernly position than area behind Greenland and Canada. The continental drift of warm air and rain water also ensure much greater heat stresses than ice endured behind Canada.

Given four extra weeks of melting to the multi-year ice floe that melted there in 2008, it would still be September while the ice re-growth in this area could be held back until October 2009, let alone ice gone to the Bering Straight.

Uncertainties:

Therefore, much of this year's (2009) ice prospects hangs on how much thickeness the sea ice can attain on the areas where the multi-year ice has recenlty departed from and how much ice losses are taking place to the Fram Straight. The continued intense lead formation north of the Fram Straight suggest us possible strong losses whilst the new ice keeps reforming as the opened leads keep re-freezing and regenerating the lost ice.  However, this in our opinion, introduces weakenesses into the ice and could prevent attainment of ice thickeness in this area.

It must be recalled here that NSIDC also recalled this as one of the characteristic features of 2008 melting season: there were a progressive loss in the sea ice volume whilst the ice area seemed to stabilise, the 2008 further loss of ice volume resulting from further thinning and sea ice scattering. I cannot see any strong contributing factors for the reversal of the recent trend of progressive ice volume in 2009. Instead, the preconditions seem me to be deteriorating, if the thin ice keeps more easily escaping to the Fram Straight while the thick and resilient multi-year sea ice has at the same time come to reside on top of one of the most warmed-up segments of the Arctic Ocean.

Therefore, in our first prognosis for the 2009 melt season we think that the multi-year sea ice will probably stay stuck on the extreme periphery of the Arctic Ocean in the vicinity of the Bering Straight until spring, then drifting along northern Russia coast when the thinner seasonal ice disappears allowing the broaken remainders of old ice to move apart more freely and melt away in somewhat greater separation than they are at the present.

But, it is possible that the thick ice at the periphery might protect the thinner seasonal and season + winter ice on the Arctic Basin by delaying the ice melt there sufficiently (over the high insolation period), but the high degree of fracturisation of further thinned ice should, in our opinion, sustain a moderate to strong melting prospects there.

The climate modelling and geoengineering should be, therefore, geared towards a prospect that there might not be any sea ice left due to mechanical failure of the sea ice contributing to a freefall summer-time sea ice demise 2009.

Request:

I would appreciate anyone with fresh sea ice thickeness information north of the Queen Elisabeth Islands and the Ellesmere Island to verify our observations on the break-up, and despacthment, of the perennial sea ice from this high Arctic Basin area (behind the QE Islands - Ellesmere) to the Bering Straights.

The large fragments are suggestive to us a presence of escaped multi-year sea ice from behind Canada. (The multi-year ice tends to brake in large blocks when it encounters topographic constraint (such as an island or coastal periphery) while thin seasonally-formed ice spits in myriad leads due to greater effect of sea swells opening leads.) The white colour and rectangular shape stands out against the thinner, recent ice that was formed in fall 2008.

FIPC Position on Onset of Mechanical Feebacks (Type 2 - Abrupt Changes):

I am enclosing our earlier e-mail on this matter where I detailed our position and expectations a bit further than the above.

Back in 2005 we at FIPC were presenting at ther sea ice confernce in the Arctic Ocean (itemised below) and said that as the topographic constraints to the sea ice become weaker (as the ice area relative to continental periphery shrunks), making the mechanical processes play against ice stablity by several ways. These positive feedbacks are on the top of the more familiar effects like surface albedo and higher temperatures that eat into ice area and volume.

The outcome of the present situation is K-Type flow that pushes ice away from the suction of the Nares Straight between the Spitzbergen and Greenland. K-Type (Kara) flow is a sustained strong sea ice movement along the North American continental periphery to the Beaufort Sea and the Bering Straight.  As the area of strong multiyear ice reduced both 2007 and 2008 the residual multi-year sea ice behind Greenland and Canada became too small. The vectoral forcing predominantly pushing it along the North American continental shelf towards the Bering Straights where the thick polar ice has settled.

We at FIPC predicted this type of scenario as the Lop-Sided North Pole Ice Cap: ice ends up pushed away from the North Pole and behind Greenland to the Bering Straights.  These areas behind Alaska saw a particularly strong and enduring melting and warming seasons both in 2007 and 2008 summers. The residual heat in the sea (higher water temperature), higher degree of insolation (sunshine in a 2,000 km more southern position), higher air temperatures and predominant form of percipitation (summertime rain) make the last multi-year ice left heated far more than it would occur behind Greenland. In essence, this event brings the old multi-year sea ice away from the suction of sea currents towards the Fram Straight and away from the vicinity of both North Pole and Greenland that help ice to stay cool, retain and accummulate thickeness to survive over polar summers as a perennial sea ice cap.

[In 2008 a sizable multi-year ice floe calved and drifted to East Siberian sea. As a thick and old ice, it was far more resilient than the surrounding seasonal ice melting only in mid-August.  The drifiting of warm air from the continent will eat into the multiyear ice unlike the cold breezes from Greenland. Nevertheless, the re-freezing occurws in this area in recent autumns only in October.  Thus all multi-year ice is gone by September 2009.  Going back to the Nares Staight and the North Pole, the seasonally formed ice and the 2008 thinned winter-plus (2 year) sea ice appears fragmentary and weak and much of it moving freely towards the Fram Straight and to the Atlantic Ocean requiring the ice be regenerated over and again.]

We also pointed out that the reduced polar sea ice cap would take up all the avantages of the reduced size of sea ice area and the inherent weakness of thin and warmed sea ice (whether one year or more).  This leads to the other scenarios: the Scattered North Pole Ice Cap. Basically when the reduced sea ice moves directionally it will eventually meet some topographic constraint that the wind and current forces it against, then splitting to multiple caps.

These terms are somewhat artificial as they all occur to varying degrees simultaneously. But as the scattered pieces of residual perennial ice are spread by winds, currents, obstacle separation, and seasonal ice wedging, we will shortly see the recidual thick sea ice occurring in small fragments all over Arctic.  As the thin seasonal ice melts away and leaves the fragments of thick multi year ice behind, the dark ocean stretches between these take up more heat. When all ice is gathered in one place, the floes keep each other cool much like Greenland did for the Lincoln Sea and North Pole perennial sea ice cap. Take the pieces apart and you have a large athmospheric and oceanic body masses mopping up heat and then dumping into residual multi-year fragments.

The removal of heat we called the Migratory Polar Sea Ice Cap, where thermal inertia is rapidly transferred from sea water to by passing thick ice. It is our expectation that all of these lateral factors are now at play and this was the reason for our 2005 famous estimate that we would have ice-free Arctic perhaps by 2009 or latest 2010.  There is also a particular positive feedback within Migratory Sea Ice Cap scenario, as the ice floes travel to-and-fro between formerly open and ice covered ares in fluctuations, the dark areas affect Migratory ice much more than the static albedo feedback effects factored into the modes. But all of these factors have been just the lateral heat transfers from the removal of topographic surface constraints that include ice-internal constraints due to sea ice congestion when the amount of resilient sea ice is large on the given surface area.

So far all has been lateral constraints as a consequence of there being more open space for the sea ice to drift around. But there are also vertical constraints:

The separation of the Arctic Ocean to 50/50 white/dark parts in feeds in wind patters where there are more warming over the dark portions and less warming and perhaps athmospheric contraction over the cold white snow and ice covered areas. As a result of growing ice-free area north of the Beaufort Sea and elsewhere, the winds have become much stronger over the years and the wind speeds and wave height have both picked up causing increased levels of coastal erosion on the junction where the ocean meets the land. How about on the open sea itself, what will storms do?

The stronger winds the faster ice floes propel themselves over the rough seas during the increasingly commonplace storms.

When the propulsion of ice floes is done by wind drifting, the movement is caused partly by movement of water, partly by windward sides of ice floes having higher water columns (as wind forces more water pile-up against ice edge than if there were no ice flowe present). This higher water column against the ice floes is supported by a sinking column of water pushing the water below. This transports cold water downwards when ice floe propels ahead by forces of wind. The water during storms then go also partly under ice before sinking (windward side swimming higher than the still). Meanwhile, the warm water thus displaced by movement of cold water down in windward side of the ice floe, displaces water below which then rises up to the surface (to meet other ice floes that come by).

The increased thermal inertia transfer is therefore a sum of both lateral and vertical heat transfer when sea ice has become migratory during storms. The more windy the Arctic Ocean becomes, the more these forces extract heat from below surface to melt ice away.

Our FIPC estimate is that the albedo never was the strongest effect but the increase in the heat extraction by increased vertical mixing in the ocean surface layer and the lateral ice displacement driven thermal inertial transfers exert themselves as the dominant ice destruction factors before the ultimate ice demise (therefore much earlier than 2070 to 2100 as per the Arctic Council's models).

In addition, the stronger wind and wave action generated by the more restless seas cause ever worsening degree of coastal erosion in Alaska where the calming lid effect of sea ice cover have been removed perhaps more than elsewhere as I already referred.  But for sea ice floes and pack ice, in our opinion at FIPC, the slamming of waves and water and ice mixing bothe vertically and horizontally are even more detrimental impact and much more wide ranging concern than the incremental coastal edge losses in Alaska. But, we would expect in 2009 see Alaskan coastal erosion much reduced due to the pacifying effect of this recently drifted multi-year ice pack.

[The larger wave action is very destructive not only for coast line, but for seasonally formed ice as well as for the 2008 thinned winter-plus (2 year) ice. It could therefore came to happen that in 2009 we will see major sea ice escapes to the Atlantic of seasonal and thin ice. The rest of ice being very fragmented and destroyed and re-formed in the continuous prosess over the year, especially in the summer, leading to further thinning or total loss 2009.
The front or Atlantic end of the Arctic Ocean shows inherent weakness and still appeared as a ice mesh, in myriad small ice floes rather than UK size bits, so far I fear that the whole front keeps breaking and breaking and escaping to the Atlantic, keeping the sea ice that appears there constantly thin.]

I have spoken to my colleagues in Finland who are returning from holidays and try to find information north of the QE Islands later this week, to asses the situation
and our Lop-Sided North Pole Ice Cap Scenario. [In my experience, the seasonal ice breaks up as ice mesh in myriads of leads and small ice floes, whereas the UK size blocks represent the stiff perennial ice that withstands wave etc stresses and therefore breaks in large fragments due to the constraints and stresses produced by the continental margins or islands to slice it.]

Please note that we at FIPC will fight this climate fight to our last breath and do not give it up however daunting the uphill comes on this Mt. Everest, if polar ice collapses due to mechanical failures! Like bygone era geographer, there is now no option but to force ourselves down from these climate highs, or surrender a moment and perish.

With kind regards,

Yours sincerely,

Veli Albert KallioFRGS