Graduate Post-Doc Summer school on geoengineering

Ashley Mercer

Feb 9, 2011, 11:19:47 AM2/9/11
to Climateintervention FIPC, geoengineering
Hello all,
This summer the University of Calgary, Heidelberg University, and Carnegie Mellon University are organizing a summer school designed for graduate students and post-docs researching in the field of geoengineering. It will be held from Aug 1-7, 2011 in Banff, Alberta. The school costs, as well as room and board are covered for all students, but travel expenses are the responsibility of the student (Note: there is some limited support for travel). Please look at the attached announcement for all the details and encourage anyone who may qualify to apply. As an attendee last year, I can assure you this is a wonderful learning environment for young researchers.

Cheers,
Ashley Mercer

_________________
Ashley Mercer
Ph.D. Student
Energy and Environmental Systems Group, University of Calgary

Call for Applications Geoengineering Summer School 2011.pdf

John Nissen

Feb 10, 2011, 9:21:49 AM2/10/11
to mercer...@gmail.com, Climateintervention FIPC, geoengineering, John Nissen

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for the flyer.  In the "Background and purpose", geoengineering is justified because of a risk we might not be able to manage emissions.  This is as if successfully managed emissions reduction could solve the long-term CO2 and global warming problems, which is doubtful.  More seriously, there's no mention of geoengineering to address more immediate problems that have arisen, like the unexpectedly rapid retreat of Arctic sea ice and the droughts in the Amazon.  If we don't address the immediate problems, the resulting global warming and climate change would swamp any effect of emissions cuts.

Cheers,

John

---