SQLite back end for GeoDjango

Matthew D. Hancher

Jan 3, 2009, 6:38:48 PM1/3/09
to geod...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone, I'm excited to see this group come into existence!

As some of you know, I started work a few weeks ago on support for
using SQLite as a back end for GeoDjango using the SpatiaLite
extension. It mostly works, and you can play with the patch attached
to ticket #9686 if you want (but read the notes first, and you'll need
install a few other patches and such first).

While I won't have time to work on it for a couple of weeks, I'd love to
organize a distributed (IRC-based?) GeoDjango/SQLite code sprint for
sometime in mid-late January to hack on it. It would involve reviewing
the changes and tests, talking through a few design decisions that need
to get revisited, trying it out with some of your own test cases, and
writing up some documentation. Is anyone else interested? If anyone
else is already in the SF Bay Area, we could even hack in person....

Matt

Matt Hancher
Intelligent Systems Division
NASA Ames Research Center
Matthew....@nasa.gov

Justin Bronn

Jan 4, 2009, 3:17:46 PM1/4/09
to geod...@googlegroups.com
> As some of you know, I started work a few weeks ago on support for
> using SQLite as a back end for GeoDjango using the SpatiaLite
> extension. It mostly works, and you can play with the patch attached
> to ticket #9686 if you want (but read the notes first, and you'll need
> install a few other patches and such first).

I plan on committing those patches to the gis-1.1 mercurial (within the
coming days) so that all users will need is to install SpatiaLite.

> While I won't have time to work on it for a couple of weeks, I'd love to
> organize a distributed (IRC-based?) GeoDjango/SQLite code sprint for
> sometime in mid-late January to hack on it. It would involve reviewing
> the changes and tests, talking through a few design decisions that need
> to get revisited, trying it out with some of your own test cases, and
> writing up some documentation. Is anyone else interested? If anyone
> else is already in the SF Bay Area, we could even hack in person....

#geodjango is open for all such discussion. Depending on when the
sprint is scheduled I may be able participate in that timeframe.

-Justin