In the hunt for a set of 27" alloy rims for '58 Lenton Grand Prix

72 Superbe

Apr 20, 2022, 9:45:09 PM4/20/22
to Gentleman Cyclist
Gentlemen, I am in the hunt for a decent or better than decent set of period correct ( Dunlop?) 27" alloy wheels for a new project bike I recently acquired. The steed is a '58 Lenton Grand Prix, ten speed with Benelux derailleur with bare wire shifting front and back. If you have a spare set or can point me in a direction of where I might be able to find a set I would appreciate it. My intention is to have it in tip top condition for the ABCE Tour in September. Thank you!

Barry

72 Superbe

Apr 21, 2022, 6:18:15 AM4/21/22
to Gentleman Cyclist
By the way, the front wheel originally was 32 hole and the rear 40 hole.
Message has been deleted

Alan Lloyd

Apr 21, 2022, 4:35:33 PM4/21/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
It would have originally had Dunlop Special Lightweight (steel) rims, wouldn't it?

 - Alan

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gentlemancyclist/0cbc39d4-2e64-46c6-bbde-f32f98d164d1n%40googlegroups.com
.

72 Superbe

Apr 22, 2022, 8:12:26 PM4/22/22
to Gentleman Cyclist
Alan, You are correct. They are the Dunlops you noted.

Warns Benita and Michael

Apr 22, 2022, 8:31:19 PM4/22/22
to 'Alan Lloyd' via Gentleman Cyclist
While we don't have the wheels you seek, we do have an impressive array of English bicycles and parts, including vintage new old stock parts from Sturmey-Archer, Raleigh, and Phillips. If you have a different steed needing some bits and bobs, be sure to check out the English Day sale behind Mr. Michael Recycles Bicycles this Sunday, April 24 between noon and 4 PM. The Members of Parliament will be on hand to greet you and to share a spot of tea.

Benita Warns, Owner
Mr. Michael Recycles Bicycles, LLC
520 N. Prior Avenue
St. Paul, MN  55104

5b7e2efe-465e-4900-8abc-31f9c4d78305

R H M

Apr 22, 2022, 10:31:11 PM4/22/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the correct rims are indeed Dunlop Special Lightweight, which were chromed steel and very nice rims. They weigh about the same as a typical aluminum rim, and they are easy to true. I've never seen one that was too far gone to true perfectly. Unfortunately they are harder and harder to find as the years go by!

And yes, the front wheel should have 32 spokes, the rear 40. It's not easy to find any classic looking pair of rims with those drillings. Have you checked to see whether 700c wheels will fit (it's a question of whether the brakes will reach the smaller rim). I would check that first; 27" wheels are (sadly) obsolete.

72 Superbe

Apr 23, 2022, 9:45:56 AM4/23/22
to Gentleman Cyclist
Thank you all for the great information. The Dunlops on the bike have a lot of rust on them and a quick test of aluminum foil and water to clean them leaves them a bit scratched. If there is a better way to clean them I would be interested to know.

jon gentlemancyclist.com

Apr 23, 2022, 10:02:13 AM4/23/22
to 72 Superbe, Gentleman Cyclist
Soak them in Evap-o-Rust; works fantastic.
Embrace the patina!
STO

Apr 23, 2022, 10:11:56 AM4/23/22
to 'Alan Lloyd' via Gentleman Cyclist
Mr. Michael Recycles Bicycles sells used 27" wheels...

9a4b2315-823a-491f-86c6-d853730d76ec

Jon Culver

Apr 23, 2022, 11:29:23 AM4/23/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
I have used 0000 steel wool and a bit of WD40 with great success and no scratches on several of my steel rims.

Eric

John Crump

Apr 23, 2022, 3:10:10 PM4/23/22
to Gentleman Cyclist
I had a Lenton (Sports I think?) all original, it came with Dunlop special lightweight (NOT LIGHTWEIGHT!) chrome rims 40x32 spoke, they are getting very hard to find now, collectors hold onto them. eBay, of course, you just have to keep looking, the problem is also from England to the USA shipping costs are very high. There are lots of 27" rims and wheelsets available in the USA  but most are 36x36 I won't tell on you, if you are not 100% period correct haha!! John Crump