Re: [Genome Informatics] WormBase iOS App questions

Abigail Cabunoc

Apr 21, 2013, 6:20:42 PM4/21/13
to bett...@gmail.com, genome-in...@googlegroups.com
Hi Beata,

I'm happy to hear about your interest in the WormBase app idea!

For the UI: we don't have a designer, so ultimately it will be up to the developer. However, some consistency between the main site (www.wormbase.org) and the app would be appreciated.

Key parts of the app:
a) Search. Allow users to quickly look up a specific gene/variation/phenotype/etc.
 In our RESTful api: /search/[CLASS]/[QUERY]
b) Report pages (for the gene/variation/phenotype/etc) Display all the information on this object.
In our RESTful api: /rest/widget/species/[CLASS]/[ID]/[WIDGET]

We still have work to do on documenting our REST api, so please feel free to come to me with any questions.

Thanks again for your interest,

Abby
Lead developer, WormBase website

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Beatka Wójciak <bett...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I've been developing iOS apps for over a year now. I have experience in creating apps using remote database as well. I found the WormBase app idea interesting and I'd like to know something more about it.

Firstly I was wondering if there are any restrictions about how the UI would look like? Is there a chance to have some graphic designer to make all the necessary icons, buttons etc. or is it all up to the developer? Is the UI scheme dependent only on developer's feel?

I'd also like to know if there is any outline of what what are the key parts of the app?

I will be grateful for comments on my questions and perhaps elaborating more on what is expected from this app.
Beata Wójciak