Problems with Gears on latest WebKit Nightlies

jbessey

Jan 28, 2009, 8:48:42 PM1/28/09
to Gears Users
Hey all,

I'm having some trouble with Gears enabled pages (i.e. Gmail, Google
Docs) on the latest WebKit builds. If I go to either page, I just get
a blank page displayed and it refuses to load any further. Everything
is working fine on Safari 3.2.1 on the same system, but I'd rather run
the nightlies. Everything appears to be installed correctly in WebKit,
and the Gears settings appears correctly in the application menu.
However, if I go to gears.google.com it doesn't tell me that Gears is
installed as it does under the Safari release version nor is there a
link to install gears. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

jbessey

Jan 28, 2009, 8:53:31 PM1/28/09
to Gears Users
Also, testing on a new account does not fix things.

Jeremy Moskovich

Jan 28, 2009, 9:41:35 PM1/28/09
to gears...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I can confirm that the current public Gears release doesn't work with the latest WebKit nightlies, we're aware of this issue and already have a fix checked into our source tree.

In the meantime you can use the latest release version of Safari.

The next version of Gears we release should make things work on nightlies again.

Best regards,
Jeremy

jbessey

Jan 28, 2009, 9:44:04 PM1/28/09
to Gears Users
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I imagine that the fix will be
included if I build from source?

Awesome product you guys have here. Thanks for all the great work.

Jeremy Moskovich

Jan 28, 2009, 9:53:26 PM1/28/09
to gears...@googlegroups.com
Yes, if you compile from source things should work fine (and if they don't, please file a bug).

I'd however advise you to wait for an official release since a version you build yourself won't autoupdate.

Best regards,
Jeremy

Matt

Feb 2, 2009, 3:01:36 PM2/2/09
to Gears Users
Which nightly build will fix this issue? I'm also having issues and
am anxious for a fix.

Thanks!

Matt

Jeremy Moskovich

Feb 2, 2009, 7:57:50 PM2/2/09
to gears...@googlegroups.com
WebKit changed how they do things internally about 6 months ago and we've got a matching fix in the Gears source tree.

The next public release of Gears will include this fix and should work correctly with WebKit nightlies again.

Best regards,
Jeremy