Reading Gears Data Files

Lord-Data

Nov 2, 2008, 6:37:36 AM11/2/08
to Gears Users
Hi guys,
Forgive me if this is covered elsewhere, but i've done some searching,
and can't find exactly what I'm after.

The basic scenario is this:
I had an account with a provide that used gears to locally caches and
make searchable my data. So I have a 17MB file stored locally, i've
located this file.

Unfortunately, I've since lost access to this account with this
service. However, I would like to recover my (text) data from this
local cached copy of the file.

What is the best way to get access to this daya? I do not know the
table structure used, or much about SQLite. I work with MS SQL on a
daily basis, just need to know more in regards to the side of what
program can access the data in the file, how to load/reference it, and
how to determine table names stored within it?

or would it be doable via the gears API itself, if I (obviously) do
not own the domain/site that the data was created from?

Thanks for your help if you can provide any assistance!

Douglas Mayle

Nov 2, 2008, 3:15:41 PM11/2/08
to gears...@googlegroups.com
There are a number of ways to go about this. If you work with MS SQL
a lot, that means you're probably on windows. You can download the
sqlite odbc drivers from www.sqlite.org. After that, you can try
looking at ODBC Query Tool, which is a simple query application
similar to the MSQuery stuff but good for any ODBC data source. You
can download that tool here: http://gpoulose.home.att.net/ . The
other way to go about requires you to run a web server from your local
computer. Then you edit C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\etc\hosts and put
127.0.0.1 as the IP address for the domain which was the source of the
data. Then on your web server, you install the development database
tool that comes with Gears so that when you surf to the domain, you
end up loading this file. This will allow you to directly query the
database for the domain.