Google Gears is not compatible (Linux_x86-gcc3)

yotta

Nov 4, 2009, 12:01:20 PM11/4/09
to Gears Users
I upgraded my Firefox yesterday and Google Gears stopped working. I
am running Ubuntu Hardy Heron and used the apt-get update method to
update Firefox. Firefox is at version 3.0.15.

Here is the error message:

"Google Gears" could not be installed because it is not compatible
with your Firefox build type (Linux_x86-gcc3).

My user agent string is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.15) Gecko/2009102814
Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.15

Dallas Vogels

Nov 5, 2009, 5:45:50 PM11/5/09
to Gears Users
Fixed it by reinstalling Gears.  I went to http://gears.google.com and clicked on the link in "Click here to re-install."

Problem solved.

te

Nov 5, 2009, 8:58:11 PM11/5/09
to Gears Users
Reinstalling doesn't fix it (at least not the OP's error), same
problem here. 0.5.32.0 is installed, if you go to Add-Ons and find
updates it will tell you 0.5.33.0 is available. Allow it to download
the update and when it attempts to install the error dialog is back.

Fedora 10, Firefox 3.0.14 (which is libgcc 4.3.2 based).

-te

On Nov 5, 2:45 pm, Dallas Vogels <dvog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fixed it by reinstalling Gears.  I went tohttp://gears.google.comand
> clicked on the link in "Click here to re-install."
>
> Problem solved.

Chris

Nov 6, 2009, 6:07:19 AM11/6/09
to Gears Users
On Ubuntu 8.10 if worked fine. Thanx for the hint.
But reinstalling didn't fix it after the update to jaunty and Firefox
3.0.15

2009102815 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Firefox/3.0.15

RoboRutt

Nov 5, 2009, 4:24:42 PM11/5/09
to Gears Users
Bump :)

I am with you -vote #2 for this problem !

I have had this for a few days now - running Intrepid (Ubuntu 8.10) on
a quad-core Q6600 with 2GbRAM.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,
RR

satbunny

Nov 9, 2009, 6:52:11 AM11/9/09
to Gears Users
Doesn't fix the problem, the version stays the same

dundeemt

Nov 9, 2009, 10:47:43 PM11/9/09
to Gears Users
Bump
Ubuntu 9.04 / FF 3.0.15
"Google Gears" could not be installed because it is not compatible
with your Firefox build type (Linux_x86-gcc3). Please contact the
author of this item about the problem.

kyagen

Nov 10, 2009, 5:56:47 PM11/10/09
to Gears Users
Also having this problem and did try a reinstall of gears with no
luck.
Ubuntu 9.04 / 2.6.28-16-generic and FF 3.5.5

Rick Richardson

Nov 12, 2009, 9:12:50 AM11/12/09
to Gears Users
Diito here as well!

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091105
Fedora/3.5.5-1.fc11 Firefox/3.5.5

Satya Prakash

Nov 12, 2009, 11:38:03 AM11/12/09
to Gears Users
I have the same problem.

My is Ubuntu 8.10 intrepid.
Firefox is Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/
20090715 Firefox/3.5.1 GTB5.

Google Gear should install in Linux FF.
Is it a Google Gear problem?

Ron Wolf

Nov 12, 2009, 1:31:24 AM11/12/09
to Gears Users
yah, its got me too. started a few days ago. i upgraded to 3.5 about a
month ago. possibly related. anyway, i find this at:

http://code.google.com/apis/gears/gears_faq.html#linuxCompatible

------

What does Gears require to be compatible with my Linux system?

If you'd like to run the Gears for Firefox on a Linux (32-bit)
platform, please make sure your system has glibc 2.3.5 or higher and
libstdc++6 (Gears 0.3) or libstdc++5 (Gears pre-0.3).

--------

OK. i've got libstdc++6 installed, but glibc? searching for glibc my
package manager shows only glibc-doc and glibc-source. maybe they
mean libc6? (mine is at 2.7-10) described as the GNU C Library:
Shared Libraries.

also http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/hardy/glibc (for instance)
shows libc as the GNU C Library: Shared libraries

In any case, I still get the error.

Valdis Ozols

Nov 13, 2009, 3:02:03 AM11/13/09
to Gears Users
Same problem, no clues how to resolve.

aot2002

Nov 13, 2009, 9:12:26 AM11/13/09
to Gears Users
"Google Gears" could not be installed because it is not compatible
with your Firefox build type (Linux_x86-gcc3). Please contact the
author of this item about the problem.

Running full up to date 9.04 Jaunty

dimpase

Nov 13, 2009, 8:50:27 AM11/13/09
to Gears Users, Dima Pasechnik
I believe that Gears developers mistake Linux_x86-gcc3 build for a
build that uses gcc-3.
In fact, it means gcc version 3 or 4 (and I imagine 99.9% of browsers
are built with gcc version 4)

aot2002

Nov 13, 2009, 9:17:52 AM11/13/09
to Gears Users
Installing this 32 bit for my machine solved the issue
http://forums.techarena.in/tips-tweaks/1239847.htm

dimpase

Nov 13, 2009, 6:35:56 AM11/13/09
to Gears Users
Same here, on Debian stable (Lenny),
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.15) Gecko/2009102815
Iceweasel/3.0.6 (Debian-3.0.6-3)

OK, I can try to build the browser from source, and it (hopefully)
will fix the problem, but still...

Can't you Gears guys build a version that runs on Linux_x86-gcc3?

Thanks,
Dmitrii

te

Nov 13, 2009, 2:10:16 PM11/13/09
to Gears Users
Everyone having the problem, please go here:

http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=975

Click the little star in the upper left corner to lend your support to
this bug - only 6 people have done this so far but there's like a
bajillion on the mailing list running into it.

-te

Ron Wolf

Nov 13, 2009, 2:14:35 PM11/13/09
to Gears Users
i followed the link and found the explanation of the problem there to
be clear and, at least in my case, IDed the problem perfectly. but
when i selected the 32-bit version for what i thought would be more
instructions an install dialog came up, i balked. what is it
installing? etc...

troy engel

Nov 13, 2009, 2:18:19 PM11/13/09
to gears...@googlegroups.com
Ron, if you look closer at the link on that page it goes to install an
old version of Gears (0.5.25.0), which won't actually fix any
problems. Jason is going to see the upgrade dialog pop up on him again
in another day or so, installing this file just downgraded his Gears
and hid the problem.

The bug is that the 0.5.33.0 Gears upgrade from Google is faulty and
needs to be fixed upstream.

-te
--
troy engel
bash-fu samurai

Ron Wolf

Nov 14, 2009, 12:02:26 PM11/14/09
to Gears Users
thanks Troy & Te. everyone look at Te's post, follow the link and help
prioritize this problem as Te suggests.

mostly to save others the effort of looking further into a possible
fix for this, i want to document that i found this reference to the
problem (or a similar one)

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/398497?s=google%20gears%20compatible

that included the suggestion to download the xpi file, edit the
included install.rdf file, and then install from the edited file. i
used wget to download the xpi and zip to extract the install.rdf.
however, the line that is suggested for editing in the install.rdf
already shows the suggested 'fix'. that is "3.5.*" is in the
install.rdf. so looks like this isn't the problem and that this
gambit won't help.

On Nov 13, 11:18 am, troy engel <troyen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ron, if you look closer at the link on that page it goes to install an
> old version of Gears (0.5.25.0), which won't actually fix any
> problems. Jason is going to see the upgrade dialog pop up on him again
> in another day or so, installing this file just downgraded his Gears
> and hid the problem.
>
> The bug is that the 0.5.33.0 Gears upgrade from Google is faulty and
> needs to be fixed upstream.
>
> -te

John F.

Nov 18, 2009, 10:15:37 AM11/18/09
to Gears Users
I checked out that support.mozilla.com link, and I think they had the
right target but the wrong solution (possibly a typo). Instead of
3.5.* (which is what the line reads in the download) it should read
3.6 (which is what it read in previous versions). I posted more at the
link in Te's post.

http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=975

This could be a Firefox bug, as the Mozilla documentation states that
"3.5.*" should be a valid value.

On Nov 14, 6:02 pm, Ron Wolf <ron.e.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks Troy & Te. everyone look at Te's post, follow the link and help
> prioritize this problem as Te suggests.
>
> mostly to save others the effort of looking further into a possible
> fix for this, i want to document that i found this reference to the
> problem (or a similar one)
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/398497?s=google%20gears%20co...

[snip]

troy engel

Nov 18, 2009, 4:28:20 PM11/18/09
to gears...@googlegroups.com
Check out the bug report again, go to my last update at the bottom --
the problem is actually that the download is a 64bit version of Gears,
not the version numbers listed in the install.rdf file. The Gears team
will need to compile and release a proper 32bit version of 0.5.33.0
into the channel for us...

-te

tigr...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2009, 4:54:59 PM11/18/09
to gears...@googlegroups.com
  hi gears group,
 in case someone needs it, here's the link to this XUL article about firefox versions:
 http://roachfiend.com/archives/2004/12/08/how-to-create-firefox-extensions/#re-build

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 8:47 AM, <tigr...@gmail.com> wrote:
hello peeps,
i notice programs such as many ff extensions and ggl gears, tend to fall out of synch with firefox updates. On the mozilla extension developer's extension, in the forum i found an answer from 'roachfiend', to a similar query about a similar problem, wondering if it applies to this topic, here is a quote from the article in XUL forum:

" Target application is what you’re gearing this for. The ec8030f7… is unique to Firefox, so leave that alone. The minversion and maxversion is what versions of Firefox it will be compatible with. There was a big stink about this recently, since the developers introduced 0.9.1, shortly after telling us to make sure and only put a maxVersion of 0.9. This does not compute. So I recently modified mine to go to 9.9, which will ensure compatibility through the next few versions of Firefox. This isn’t the type of thing that mozilla will support, since they can only recommend keeping the maxVersion to the current release, but it’s the best way to keep you sane, so you don’t have to update your extensions every few weeeks."

tigr...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2009, 4:47:55 PM11/18/09
to gears...@googlegroups.com
[...]

Abhiram

Dec 25, 2009, 11:43:34 AM12/25/09
to Gears Users
I don't know if this is the reason, but after reading the requirements
on this page:

http://code.google.com/apis/gears/gears_faq.html#linuxCompatible

I checked to see if the libraries were there. Apparently, I had both
libstdc++5 and libstdc++6 with 5 being required by win32codecs on my
ubuntu 9.10.

As soon as I got rid of it, I noticed that google docs suddenly
started working. No more error installing software. Weird, but it's
working fine now.