Gears is being dumped?

Jose Gonzalez

Dec 1, 2009, 12:41:58 PM12/1/09
to Gears Users
Any "official" word about Google Gears being dumped in favor of HTML5
from anyone from Google? Timelines? Availability of orphaned code?

This is the reference article:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_dumps_gears_for_html5.php

Roland Bouman

Dec 2, 2009, 3:22:48 AM12/2/09
to Gears Users
Same question...

I am tempted to think the story is bogus. I mean, it opens with

"It's official: Google is ditching its homegrown Gears offline web app
API in favor of backing HTML5 for the win."

....but there a link to any page from google that says it's so.
Personally i think that if it's that official, it would't be too much
of a problem to include a link to the actual source.

Eagerly awaiting more information.

jigarashah

Dec 2, 2009, 8:01:54 AM12/2/09
to Gears Users
I think its unlikely that they will stop all-together. probably
slowdown or adding new feature would stop. Since offline facility is
used by almost all google apps like docs and gmail. Only expectation
is they will update it for newer browsers.

BLACKJACK

Dec 6, 2009, 7:15:31 AM12/6/09
to Gears Users
Perhaps those developers with doubts about the veracity of the
announcement that Google is ditching Gears in favour of HTML5 would do
well to read the news articles referenced in this results list:

http://news.google.co.uk/news/search?um=1&cf=all&ned=uk&hl=en&as_q=GOOGLE+GEARS+HTML5&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_scoring=r&btnG=Search&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=w&as_minm=11&as_mind=6&as_maxm=12&as_maxd=6&as_nsrc=&as_nloc=&geo=&as_author=&as_occt=any

However much we may lament our investment so far in developing with/
for Gears, to stubbornly continue pouring more intellectual property
into Gears is on a par with ignoring the "Check Engine Soon" warning
light on a vehicle's instrument panel. We ignore this warning at our
own peril.

Jose Gonzalez

Dec 6, 2009, 2:05:12 PM12/6/09
to Gears Users
I totally agree with you, HTML5 will replace Gears, however as the
first article in the link provided says:

"... HTML5 isn't complete, though, and isn't fully supported by any
existing browser. It's a little like a landlord greeting a prospective
tenant by pointing at an empty lot across the street and talking up
the skyscraper planned for that space."

The best point for Gears (at least in my project) is that is it open
source. All that I was looking for was the XPI code, which I found,
so life goes on....