Gearman C Server & Library 0.3 Released

Eric Day

Feb 6, 2009, 2:02:37 PM2/6/09
to gearman
You can grab it at:

https://launchpad.net/gearmand/+download

I changed the default port in this release to use our new IANA
assigned port, 4730 (was previously 7003). This means if you try to
mix existing APIs or job servers with this release, you’ll need to
specify port options on one side to make sure they match up.

ChangeLog:

0.3 - 2009-02-05
* Fixed I/O wait bug in packet parse.
* Switched to different autoconf library detection method.
* Added detach option to gearmand, can now run in background.
* Reworked much of the client code for better concurrency and
efficiency.
* Added benchmark utilities.
* Added man pages.
* Changed port to new IANA assigned port, 4730.

-Eric

Justin Azoff

Mar 3, 2009, 10:52:00 PM3/3/09
to gearman
On Feb 6, 2:02 pm, Eric Day <e...@oddments.org> wrote:
> You can grab it at:
>
> https://launchpad.net/gearmand/+download

Hi,

I've been playing around with this, for the most part it works great
as a drop in replacement to the perl server.

I only found one issue, CAN_DO_TIMEOUT doesn't timeout, but I took a
quick look at the src and this seems to be more of a 'not implemented
yet' then a 'bug'

I built a quick debian package for local use and ran into 2 minor
issues:

* the daemon doesn't write out a .pid file, one of the more tricky
things right now is getting the init script working..
* there doesn't seem to be a gearmand(1) man page for the daemon
itself.

I don't know if anyone is already working on packaging the C daemon,
but having those 2 things will help...

--
- Justin

Eric Day

Mar 5, 2009, 11:49:01 AM3/5/09
to gea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Justin,

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 07:52:00PM -0800, Justin Azoff wrote:
> I only found one issue, CAN_DO_TIMEOUT doesn't timeout, but I took a
> quick look at the src and this seems to be more of a 'not implemented
> yet' then a 'bug'

Yeah, this is still not implemented yet, but will be sometime in the
next couple versions.

> I built a quick debian package for local use and ran into 2 minor
> issues:
>
> * the daemon doesn't write out a .pid file, one of the more tricky
> things right now is getting the init script working..
> * there doesn't seem to be a gearmand(1) man page for the daemon
> itself.
>
> I don't know if anyone is already working on packaging the C daemon,
> but having those 2 things will help...

Also on the todo list. :) The plan was to get the code out ASAP with
some early releases just for people to play with, and by the time
it hit 1.0 it would be ready for real packaging (and fairly stable
for production use). I'll have a bit more time starting next week to
clean things up, and of course anyone can always submit a branch with
the fixes!

Thanks, and let us know if you see any other issues!

-Eric