Support for Ceph/Sheepdog.

damoxc

Feb 14, 2011, 10:27:25 AM2/14/11
to ganeti
I noticed that in the design documents there was some talk of Ceph/
Sheepdog but I was unable to find anything else on the matter. I was
wondering if it was planned to add support for Ceph or Sheepdog in any
of the upcoming releases? If it hasn't then some guidance on where to
begin implementing this feature (if it is desired) would be very much
appreciated.

Regards,
Damien

Iustin Pop

Feb 14, 2011, 10:44:30 AM2/14/11
to gan...@googlegroups.com

We're still waiting/trying to integrate the shared storage patches from
Apollon Oikonomopoulos, and once that is done, then integrating other
external storage providers will be much easier.

An alternative would be to provide a "naked" block-device support (no
management at all), that would allow use of any block device with
consistent naming across machines.

regards,
iustin

Carwyn Edwards

Feb 14, 2011, 10:48:58 AM2/14/11
to gan...@googlegroups.com
NFS would be very useful for those of us (un)fortunate to have NetApp/EMC style NAS environments.

Carwyn

Iustin Pop

Feb 14, 2011, 10:54:56 AM2/14/11
to gan...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 07:48:58AM -0800, Carwyn Edwards wrote:
> NFS would be very useful for those of us (un)fortunate to have NetApp/EMC
> style NAS environments.

I think that this is achievable via the file-storage today plus NFS
mounting of /srv/ganeti/file-storage on nodes.

Yes, we know that the file-storage backend is not well working (free
disk space is not well compute, etc.), but confirmation whether or not
this is a good model for you would be useful.

thanks,
iustin

Damien Churchill

Feb 14, 2011, 10:57:13 AM2/14/11
to gan...@googlegroups.com

That's good news. Do you have any guess on when this would be
complete? If there is anything I can do to assist then I'm happy to do
so. Do you have any suggestions where be a good place to start
familiarising myself with Ganeti's architecture?

Regards,
Damien

Iustin Pop

Feb 14, 2011, 10:58:44 AM2/14/11
to gan...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 03:57:13PM +0000, Damien Churchill wrote:
> On 14 February 2011 15:44, Iustin Pop <ius...@google.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 07:27:25AM -0800, damoxc wrote:
> >> I noticed that in the design documents there was some talk of Ceph/
> >> Sheepdog but I was unable to find anything else on the matter. I was
> >> wondering if it was planned to add support for Ceph or Sheepdog in any
> >> of the upcoming releases? If it hasn't then some guidance on where to
> >> begin implementing this feature (if it is desired) would be very much
> >> appreciated.
> >
> > We're still waiting/trying to integrate the shared storage patches from
> > Apollon Oikonomopoulos, and once that is done, then integrating other
> > external storage providers will be much easier.
> >
> > An alternative would be to provide a "naked" block-device support (no
> > management at all), that would allow use of any block device with
> > consistent naming across machines.
> >

> That's good news. Do you have any guess on when this would be
> complete? If there is anything I can do to assist then I'm happy to do
> so.

Not sure unfortunately :(

> Do you have any suggestions where be a good place to start
> familiarising myself with Ganeti's architecture?

Reading or skimming the design documents shipped with the source tree
would be a good start, I think.

regards,
iustin

Damien Churchill

Feb 14, 2011, 11:03:46 AM2/14/11
to gan...@googlegroups.com
On 14 February 2011 15:58, Iustin Pop <ius...@google.com> wrote:
>> Do you have any suggestions where be a good place to start
>> familiarising myself with Ganeti's architecture?
>
> Reading or skimming the design documents shipped with the source tree
> would be a good start, I think.

Okay thanks, I will give them a read and hopefully be in a better
position to assist at some point in the future.

Stephen Fromm

Feb 14, 2011, 1:11:46 PM2/14/11
to gan...@googlegroups.com

With the shared storage patches in place, will file-storage work with
failover and migrate? Presently, these are restricted to drbd disk
layouts.

Thanks,
sf

Iustin Pop

Feb 15, 2011, 4:48:05 AM2/15/11
to gan...@googlegroups.com

Yes, they also cover file-storage (IIRC), so these three disk templates
will allow failover/migrate:

- drbd (current)
- shared block devices (SAN, Ceph in the future)
- shared filesystems (NAS/NFS/etc.)

regards,
iustin